Jump to content
Dank

2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, cancergirl said:

lol, thanks!
 

It is still early! Additionally, if you really are worried, there are a few nice programs that are still accepting applications (obv. I don't know where you've applied lol). Baylor's app is free and is extended to Jan 9th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, prospectivegrad1 said:

Stanford Biosciences sent out their invites already?

I think I saw somewhere that the different programs under the umbrella of biosciences process their applications separately - so someone receiving an invite from one program hopefully doesn't mean all the invites for other subprograms are out (at least that's what I'm hoping!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jumanji5a said:

I think I saw somewhere that the different programs under the umbrella of biosciences process their applications separately - so someone receiving an invite from one program hopefully doesn't mean all the invites for other subprograms are out (at least that's what I'm hoping!)

 

48 minutes ago, prospectivegrad1 said:

Stanford Biosciences sent out their invites already?

I got an email interview invite from the specific umbrella program director (Stem Cell/Regen Medicine) before the New Year and he explicitly said, and I quote:

"The 14 Home Program Admissions Committees all operate on their own timelines, so your friends and coworkers may or may not have heard from another Biosciences Program. Please understand that "no news does not mean bad news", as many Programs do not complete their admission process until the 2nd week of January. So, please keep this in mind when sharing your good news with others."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all. Unsure of which forum to post to, but mostly applied to biology programs that have biophysics, so figured here was best! Is anyone else applying to biophysics programs as well?

Undergrad Institution: Small liberal arts college
Major(s): Physics
Minor(s): Genomics
GPA in Major: 3.5
Overall GPA: 3.6
Position in Class: Top third
Type of Student: Domestic male


GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 163
V: 161
W: 5.0
B: X

Research Experience: 

-Small research project doing computational physics (1 mo)

-Physics research on x-ray technology (2 mo)

-Research based genomics class on gene expression changes (1 semester)

-Synthetic biology research (3 mo)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: X

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

-Former VP of my fraternity

-Various volunteering opportunities

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: X

Special Bonus Points:

-1 well-known recommender

-NC State connections

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

-1 great LOR, 2 strong

Applying to Where:
Johns Hopkins (CMDB, Biophysics), UCSF iPQB (Biophysics), UVA BIMS (Biophysics), UNC BBSP (Biophysics), UIUC (Biophysics), Duke (BME), UNC/NC State (BME), NC State (Genomics)

Interviews: Johns Hopkins (12/6), UNC BBSP (12/14), UVA BIMS (12/15)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dragonzz said:

Still have not received anything about travel arrangements from Weill Cornell. Lol, anyone else has the same experience?

I got an email about it today! (around 5pm EST)

Edited by dudwns217

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nile red said:

It is still early! Additionally, if you really are worried, there are a few nice programs that are still accepting applications (obv. I don't know where you've applied lol). Baylor's app is free and is extended to Jan 9th.

I applied to upenn, emory, uva, Drexel, Thomas Jefferson, penn state Hershey, vcu, Rutgers, temple, roswell park. lol, I'm not going to lie some my LOR just submitted the last one to some just a few days ago. but I'm more worried about the ones that were completed in December.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, spiffscience said:

 

I got an email interview invite from the specific umbrella program director (Stem Cell/Regen Medicine) before the New Year and he explicitly said, and I quote:

"The 14 Home Program Admissions Committees all operate on their own timelines, so your friends and coworkers may or may not have heard from another Biosciences Program. Please understand that "no news does not mean bad news", as many Programs do not complete their admission process until the 2nd week of January. So, please keep this in mind when sharing your good news with others."

 

 

1 hour ago, jumanji5a said:

I think I saw somewhere that the different programs under the umbrella of biosciences process their applications separately - so someone receiving an invite from one program hopefully doesn't mean all the invites for other subprograms are out (at least that's what I'm hoping!)

 

Phew~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dudwns217 said:

I got an email about it today! (around 5pm EST)

How did they say? Is that from the coordinator or the travel agent? Thanks for help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dragonzz said:

How did they say? Is that from the coordinator or the travel agent? Thanks for help!

From the travel agent! They just asked me to send my info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dudwns217 said:

From the travel agent! They just asked me to send my info. 

:unsure: Then I should keep waiting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, nile red said:

Has anybody heard from Duke Molecular Cancer Bio? I know they kept extending their deadline until very recently...

I received their invitation email right before Christmas (Dec 23rd). I submitted my application in Nov so might get reviewed in the first batch. Hope they are sending more on the way and good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MCF10A said:

I received their invitation email right before Christmas (Dec 23rd). I submitted my application in Nov so might get reviewed in the first batch. Hope they are sending more on the way and good luck!

 

have you heard from weill cornell about the travel arrangements?

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MCF10A said:

I received their invitation email right before Christmas (Dec 23rd). I submitted my application in Nov so might get reviewed in the first batch. Hope they are sending more on the way and good luck!

Awesome, thanks for the update. And congrats on the interview invite!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got offered an interview with Harvard Chem Bio! Interview dates are 2/3 and 2/17, is anyone else going and what date are you thinking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, blankens said:

Just got offered an interview with Harvard Chem Bio! Interview dates are 2/3 and 2/17, is anyone else going and what date are you thinking?

Congrats!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dragonzz said:

have you heard from weill cornell about the travel arrangements?

Thank you!

Yeah i received a email from the travel agency on Wed. I guess you can either give it more days, or just call ur program coordinator?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MCF10A said:

Yeah i received a email from the travel agency on Wed. I guess you can either give it more days, or just call ur program coordinator?

Thanks for your information!

Godd luck for the interview. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone had consecutive interviews in the same area before? If so what is the process for booking open jaw flights? I was thinking of just paying for the hotel for the extra day in between the interviews 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dragonzz said:

:unsure: Then I should keep waiting

I received an email from the travel agent on Wed. They may be reaching out slowly to interviewees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, cancergirl said:

Thanks!! Does your application say if its been reviewed tho?

I will let you know as soon as i can when my laptop is working again. Right now, it's having some issues. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dragonzz said:

:unsure: Then I should keep waiting

i haven't heard anything about travel from them yet either, so they might just be sending them out slowly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, cuteDr22 said:

I received an email from the travel agent on Wed. They may be reaching out slowly to interviewees.

Thank you!

Good luck for your interview!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, britmact said:

i haven't heard anything about travel from them yet either, so they might just be sending them out slowly

Then I'm relived! How do they tell you about your interview conflict? Do you reschedule it to alternative date?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.