I wanted to start this post so we can track the speech pathology programs in the south. There are so many threads regarding the northern schools, it gets tiring sorting through all of the different posts. This thread is for southern school programs ONLY (ex. schools states like Alabama, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Tennessee, and the Carolinas). 

I applied to 3 FL schools (ucf, UF, and Usf), and university of Tennesse. I was accepted to UCF on Friday via email (for summer session- fall won't hear back for a few more weeks at least) and was told by USF that they are reviewing in piles/waves and that I should hear next week if that helps! Nothing from Tennessee yet! Just my two cents :) good luck!!

Edited by speechietobe

I am interviewing at Samford University (Alabama)  next Monday the 29th of February. I received an email from Jacksonville University saying they will send out notifications mid march for first round acceptances. Haven't heard from any other schools. 

I have been asked to interview at Samford first of March. 

Does anyone find it to be odd that the southern schools are keeping so quiet? I haven't heard anything from Montevallo, Alabama, Auburn, South Alabama, UGA, Memphis, or UT. The only schools to even confirm they received my app were South Alabama and Memphis. 

I have also not heard a word from Chapel Hill so I'm wondering if that post was fake. Either way I'm anxiously waiting to hear back, Chapel Hill and Vanderbilt are my top two, but they're also the least likely to accept me :huh: 

4 hours ago, lindsey8 said:

Nope! I'm also anxiously waiting to hear back from UNC! I looked back at the results from last year and it looks like they started sending out decisions around this time last year.... eeek

50 minutes ago, gosparkgo said:

I have also not heard a word from Chapel Hill so I'm wondering if that post was fake. Either way I'm anxiously waiting to hear back, Chapel Hill and Vanderbilt are my top two, but they're also the least likely to accept me :huh: 

Same! I want to get into Vandy so badly it hurts. I'm trying not to get my hopes up. That school is so competitive I feel like they draw qualified applicants out of a hat. MGH is a close second followed by UNC. 

Why would people even fake stuff like this. What would they have to gain from it? The satisfaction of causing mass confusion?

29 minutes ago, ThatSpeechGuy said:

Same! I want to get into Vandy so badly it hurts. I'm trying not to get my hopes up. That school is so competitive I feel like they draw qualified applicants out of a hat. MGH is a close second followed by UNC. 

Why would people even fake stuff like this. What would they have to gain from it? The satisfaction of causing mass confusion?

I feel the  exact same way! I'm just telling myself I automatically won't get in to Vandy because I want it so badly. I visited and the clinical opportunities were beyond amazing, and living in Nashville would be fun. I did see a post somewhere on grad cafe about how a people were unhappy with the program once they were in, but that may have just been a specific year or situation. 

I have no idea why anyone would. It's possible whoever posted confused Chapel Hill with Iowa or UW since decisions just went out for them, but I also like to believe the best in people. 

Well a second person just posted about being wait listed from UNC! So I think they have definitely started sending some decisions out. Like @lindsey8 said, this is when they started sending our decisions last year. From what I could tell, it took about 10 days for them to get all of the decisions out...

15 hours ago, southernspeechie said:

I have been asked to interview at Samford first of March. 

Does anyone find it to be odd that the southern schools are keeping so quiet? I haven't heard anything from Montevallo, Alabama, Auburn, South Alabama, UGA, Memphis, or UT. The only schools to even confirm they received my app were South Alabama and Memphis. 

I also have an interview at Samford on the same day! I'm nervous but I'm excited!  Have you heard anything about the interview?

20 hours ago, kgehlha said:

I applied to the University of Alabama and haven't heard anything back yet! Let me know if you hear anything about it!

I wouldn't expect anything from UA until the end of March. On the results page, the earliest they've sent out acceptances was 3/23. That's right after our spring break, so I guess that makes sense?

2 hours ago, taeslp said:

I also have an interview at Samford on the same day! I'm nervous but I'm excited!  Have you heard anything about the interview?

I have a friend who is currently in the program. She was accepted with fairly average stats after being wait listed there. She said the interviews are back to back and have a time limit of staying around 5 to 10 minutes.

Hello all! I'm new to the Grad Cafe, but decided to make a profile because I'm going 'round the twist waiting on responses from Southern schools.

I'm unspeakably poor, so I only applied to three schools: George Washington (I know D.C. isn't strictly Southern, but -- hey), UNC Greensboro, and Western Carolina

Has anyone heard anything from the above schools?

Thank you and best of luck to everyone!

Hi, I wanted to let you all know that I heard from UNC today and it was good news! I got a phone call (I know other people had said they were emailed with acceptances, as well as waitlist and rejections). Anyways, I hope you all hear good news soon! Nothing about funding yet, but hopefully that will come! 

6 hours ago, Speechie-Z said:

Hello all! I'm new to the Grad Cafe, but decided to make a profile because I'm going 'round the twist waiting on responses from Southern schools.

I'm unspeakably poor, so I only applied to three schools: George Washington (I know D.C. isn't strictly Southern, but -- hey), UNC Greensboro, and Western Carolina

I applied to WCU also! Haven't heard anything back yet, though. Best of luck!

I was that first UNC-Chapel Hill post, so I promise it wasn't fake ;)

I just applied super early. I did get waitlisted, but I wasn't super set on that school. Two acceptances and one wait list down, four more to go!

Edited by joneskellym

21 hours ago, j_rae said:
On 2/23/2016 at 0:26 PM, Speechie-Z said:

I heard back from GWU on the 2nd. Have you checked your portal? They are usually pretty quick with responses from what I hear. 

I have been wringing my hands waiting to hear back from UTHSC. I only applied to schools in the Southeast. As I see folks who've applied to 12+ programs, I'm afraid maybe that was a mistake. I was SO EXCITED to get the invite to interview at Samford! Now, I'm just hoping my nerves don't get in the way of making a good impression.

I am interviewing at Samford on February 29th so I'll let ya'll know how it goes! West Texas A&M said they will mail out notifications March 1st. I am interviewing at Our Lady of the Lake University (San Antonio) Friday March 4th. It's a group interview and they sent us a 12 page article to discuss. Anyone know anything about those kind of interviews??