Jump to content
wootar

The Waitlist Struggle

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, wootar said:

One more week. Fingers crossed! Preparing for the worst, hoping for the best. Crazier things have happened!

Good luck everyone! Patience never been one of my virtues. Lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just out of curiosity, has anyone replied back to the email notifying you of your waitlist status, thanking them/saying that it is an honor that you are waitlist at that school? I didn't reply back, and I'm wondering if it is usually conventional to do so. My advisors told me to not do anything to avoid bothering them or appearing desperate, but now I think back, I think I should have at least thanked them or tell them that I am very interested in getting in to the school and that it is my top choice. Not that it would matter much now, but I am just going through a list of things that could have gone better, as we wind down to the last five days of waiting...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@WillComeTrue I replied back to each one just to say "I appreciate you letting me know, at this time I remain very interested in your program and the lab of Prof X and the possibility of admission, I will keep an eye out for further correspondence regarding the decision". None of the schools e-mailed me back after that. Also, I sent that e-mail to 3/4 schools I was waitlisted at. Of those three schools, I have been removed from two of the waitlists and remain on one. So, I don't think it hurt me to e-mail back but also didn't necessarily help me.

I'm considering following up with the prof at the last school I'm waitlisted at....but I'm kind of scared/nervous. One on hand, I think "if it's a no, it's a no and it is better to hear sooner rather than later", but on the other hand I'm like "it's only three more days either way". I'm not sure that e-mailing again would help or not, but I'm sure if they were interested in you that they would not discount you based off not responding hopefully!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my gosh, @wootar I can completely relate to your worries. Thanks for sharing your experience. I don't think it would help me much at this point, if not hurting, to send a follow-up email to the waitlist email that was sent like a month and a half ago! I guess I should just let it go now since I can't really do anything about it!
I guess at this point what we can do is to wait it out patiently... although on some other post I read today it said that the offers would come after 4/15, because that's the deadline for the people who already got offers to decline so it would only make sense that the offers to the waitlisters would come after that.

I think it makes sense but my email said that they would let me know before or by 4/15. This is the most confusing and stressful times in my life!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes sense that you might hear something on Monday or Tuesday rather than tomorrow I guess. At this point I'm about 98% sure that I will not be getting off my last waitlist, but still have 2% hope that it could happen.

The last I heard from this professor was just a check-in last month to let me know I was still on the waitlist but that she would keep me posted as she heard anything and to let her know if I did not want to attend anymore. Since then I have not heard anything...so part of me wants to e-mail today and just say "I know tomorrow is the deadline so I just wanted to follow-up briefly and see if I still remained on the waitlist or if you have heard from the candidate with an offer". But, I don't know if 1) That is too pushy considering I'll find out soon enough either way or 2) It would annoy the professor.

Blech. Even though I'll be bummed out to hear it's a "no", I'm at the point I just want some certain answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wootar said:

It makes sense that you might hear something on Monday or Tuesday rather than tomorrow I guess. At this point I'm about 98% sure that I will not be getting off my last waitlist, but still have 2% hope that it could happen.

The last I heard from this professor was just a check-in last month to let me know I was still on the waitlist but that she would keep me posted as she heard anything and to let her know if I did not want to attend anymore. Since then I have not heard anything...so part of me wants to e-mail today and just say "I know tomorrow is the deadline so I just wanted to follow-up briefly and see if I still remained on the waitlist or if you have heard from the candidate with an offer". But, I don't know if 1) That is too pushy considering I'll find out soon enough either way or 2) It would annoy the professor.

Blech. Even though I'll be bummed out to hear it's a "no", I'm at the point I just want some certain answer.

I thought about what you were thinking when I was on the waitlist. I figured that if I have waited for so long, it doesn't matter if I wait awhile more. I could just wait for the email to come, just in case if I annoy the professor or being considered as pushy. Just my two cents worth! 

But you are almost there! One more day! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@wootar I think I would wait until 4/15. I agree with @emhopefulme that it is just two more days, including today! For me, I think I will wait until the 15th, and if I don't hear back for some reason, although they clearly stated that they would let me know about my status by that deadline, I am going to email them to query. I gather people started to decline offers this week, and the schools are just waiting until they get an idea of how many spots in total will open up and then they will get back to the waitlisters. Frustrating, but it will happen today or tomorrow. Stay positive!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today is the day, folks.
I was also thinking about sending them an email and still debating, because here is a thing.

In a lab meeting, a student asked why I don't query about my status, if I am this anxious and still haven't heard back with anything. She said to reiterate my interests and say that the school is my top choice, and to ask about the waitlist status at this point. My advisor said it was a okay idea, but she said to wait until after the 15th. I mean... what is really the point if I send them "what is my status" email after all decisions have been made? This email, if it would be helpful in any way, it would be only meaningful if it were sent while the school is still making the last-minute decisions. They may think that I am really still interested in this school and likely to come if I were to be offered a position. So this may move my waitlist position a little if they were really coming down to the wire and need to make offers to people who are likely to accept. At the same time it might be taken as impatient, or if they don't really know about how many spots will become available at the end of the day today and if they are genuinely worried about my future (and think I sent this email wanting to know because of other offers waiting for my decision) they may say to go with my other "choice" because I said it was my "top choice".

What do I say to that, then?

I really would like to know, and I really feel a strong urge to just send them an email right now. Having your top choice to be your only choice, and to wait this long, SUCKS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@WillComeTrue, I just went ahead and sent an e-mail! I really figure that at this point it won't hurt...it is the last day for people to make a decision. It is a little bit of a risk, but I'd rather take that risk and make sure she knows I still want to attend than not take the risk and have a potential offer go to someone else. Here is the e-mail I sent:

"I am just following-up about my status on the wait list as I know that today is the deadline for those holding offers to make a decision. 
Our last correspondence was March 14, so I understand that it is possible you have heard from those already holding offers by now. In the event you have not, I just wanted to let you know that I still remain very interested in the prospect of admission if that is a possibility at this point in time. I realize that either way it is somewhat out of your control, but thought I would just send a brief e-mail to express my interest just in case."
 
 
After this, it is what it is! I really just want to know one way or the other so I can start thinking about a) registering for classes here in the summer/fall and b)I'm planning on switching houses if I remain here and want to start looking sooner rather than later.
 
Good luck, keep us posted!
Edited by wootar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, WillComeTrue said:

Today is the day, folks.
I was also thinking about sending them an email and still debating, because here is a thing.

In a lab meeting, a student asked why I don't query about my status, if I am this anxious and still haven't heard back with anything. She said to reiterate my interests and say that the school is my top choice, and to ask about the waitlist status at this point. My advisor said it was a okay idea, but she said to wait until after the 15th. I mean... what is really the point if I send them "what is my status" email after all decisions have been made? This email, if it would be helpful in any way, it would be only meaningful if it were sent while the school is still making the last-minute decisions. They may think that I am really still interested in this school and likely to come if I were to be offered a position. So this may move my waitlist position a little if they were really coming down to the wire and need to make offers to people who are likely to accept. At the same time it might be taken as impatient, or if they don't really know about how many spots will become available at the end of the day today and if they are genuinely worried about my future (and think I sent this email wanting to know because of other offers waiting for my decision) they may say to go with my other "choice" because I said it was my "top choice".

What do I say to that, then?

I really would like to know, and I really feel a strong urge to just send them an email right now. Having your top choice to be your only choice, and to wait this long, SUCKS!

I really don't think anything negative can come from sending them an email, so if you're feeling that strongly about sending one, do it! You'll have a little piece of mind during this incredibly stressful time. :) Fingers crossed for ya!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @wootar!!! wow, your email is really polite and well-written. I think I will send an email this morning. Given that I live in the west coast and the school in in the east coast, I think I should send it now!!! LOL Yeah I just want to deal with this as soon as possible!!! You are completely right. It is what it is... I really, really wish we both get in. Best luck to you, too.

@clinpsy, Thank you for your encouragement! I think I will take your advise and send it now! Thank you!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone!

On Monday I emailed the program I'm interested in and asked when they'd be sending out decisions. I got the response that "info would be going out that day to most" and wished me good luck. It's now Friday and I haven't heard anything and I'm not quite sure what to think about it. I assume that if I was flat out rejected, I would have heard. Could this mean that I am possibly on a wait list and they just haven't told me? Should I contact them again, or just wait it out? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From my email early this morning, I got a very nice and polite response email stating that I am still waitlisted, and that there are about three people ahead of me of that waitlist. This means I have another few weeks to hold my breath! Not quite something I was expecting, but it is much, much better than a rejection. Those people were so nice I really want to work with them!!!

I am hoping that many people ahead of me already have accepted offers elsewhere by now and decline those offers...Thank you @wootar and @clinpsy for encouraging me to send this query email. I can now sleep at night a little better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to update that I heard back from the last wait list school, and unfortunately I will not be offered admission this year. The professor sent a nice e-mail with the obligatory "it's so hard to make decisions when everyone is so qualified" and said I'm "well on my way" and she encouraged me to re-apply again next year. Although appreciated, there is a part of me that truly feels I should be a little further than "on my way", but alas. Also, one or two schools would not have hurt so bad...but having six interviews I actually felt pretty confident in myself and now I just feel a little blindsided.

On the bright side (?), my SO decided last year to go back to school after getting a BA in liberal arts for a AS in computer science...so an extra year gives him time to finish, and hopefully if I get in next year he won't have to worry about transferring and can instead get a good job. Also, I'm finally at a place where I'm saving some money and trying to get my finances in order, so an extra year to work and save more money could be good. And finally, I'm working on becoming more proficient in Spanish. I can take 7 credit hours free each semester as a university employee, so went back this semester to start taking more Spanish classes and think that in one more year I should be fairly fluent.

So...it's upsetting. I'm sad. I'm questioning myself and whether or not I'm good enough. This process sure is hard (and expensive!). I'm wondering when it is time to consider a different path (a masters?, a different career?). But for the most part, I gave myself time to be upset and now I'm looking forward to having another year in our home, that we love, with the friends who still live here. I think I'm going to try 1 more time before moving on....so with that, application season begins again in about six months!!!

Thanks to everyone who has stuck it out with us, congratulations to those who got off the waitlist!!!! And to those who did not, I'll look forward to seeing you all around here as we enter application season F17!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@wootar, sorry to hear your last waitlist did not work out, but happy to hear you are looking forward to the future! I only got in on my 2nd cycle and I'm so glad I didn't give up. Hang in there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gvh said:

@wootar, sorry to hear your last waitlist did not work out, but happy to hear you are looking forward to the future! I only got in on my 2nd cycle and I'm so glad I didn't give up. Hang in there!

Thank you so much!!! This thread has been so great for support, and hearing that you are glad you didn't give up gives me hope that I'll feel the same not too long from now :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@wootar I am so sorry to hear your news. I really wished that you would get in. Although, I am glad to hear that you have a Plan B and that you are staying positive! Getting invited to 6 places in and of itself is very impressive so you should definitely give yourself credit for that. Especially that you have applied to clinical programs, which are extra competitive. It didn't work out this year for you, but it is only your first cycle. I definitely think your second cycle will look even more successful. Don't give up, maybe it is a sign from the universe that you will end up somewhere with even better fit and advisor. It will come one day and I really wish you the best for your future endeavors. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally understand the waiting struggle. Not psychology, but waiting to hear on LSU for funding through their Philosophy MA program. Fingers crossed. Professor Shufreider has been nothing but nice and informed me that he should have a better idea of funding within the next few days or so. 

Edited by DMotts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My top choice has not contacted me at all to date.  I have checked their online system, and no decision has been made.  I sent an email to the graduate director of the department yesterday morning and have not received a response.  Is this typical?  Any advice?  I applied & was funded to MA program but would hate to accept and later be contacted by my top choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, catsandcrochet said:

My top choice has not contacted me at all to date.  I have checked their online system, and no decision has been made.  I sent an email to the graduate director of the department yesterday morning and have not received a response.  Is this typical?  Any advice?  I applied & was funded to MA program but would hate to accept and later be contacted by my top choice.

If it's a masters program, it is not unusual not to have heard by now. This is especially true if the deadline is later (like February or later). Reviewing applications takes time and they may not start looking at them until after the deadline. If you have a deadline to commit to the other program, I would call the director and let them know that they are your top choice, but you have an offer and need to respond by x date and would like to know if they can tell you where you stand. There's not much else you can do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, catsandcrochet said:

My top choice has not contacted me at all to date.  I have checked their online system, and no decision has been made.  I sent an email to the graduate director of the department yesterday morning and have not received a response.  Is this typical?  Any advice?  I applied & was funded to MA program but would hate to accept and later be contacted by my top choice.

That's odd you haven't heard back. Mine was pretty open with info after I emailed them, but who knows. I'm not sure what school you are holding onto now, but definitely try again to contact your first choice.

Edited by acole1177

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.