Jump to content
SLPBethany

SLP California Applicants Fall 2016

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone!

I see that there are a bunch of SLP forums for applicants from other states but none for California applicants, therefore I decided to start one for all of us applying to schools in CA! 

For myself personally, I am applying to CSUS, CSUEB, UoP, SJSU and CSULA. My GPA is pretty high but I am extremely concerned about my low GRE score and lack of experience in the field. I have not heard back from any of the schools yet but I am hoping to hear back from them soon! 

Feel free to comment on which schools you have applied to, your stats and any questions or concerns =). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I applied to UoP and Fresno State. Last year UoP sent out decisions in the latter half of March and Fresno sent them out in April! I hope they get them done earlier this year lol

The wait is absolutely killing me!

9 hours ago, SLPBethany said:

 I am extremely concerned about my low GRE score and lack of experience in the field. I have not heard back from any of the schools yet but I am hoping to hear back from them soon! 

 

I personally wouldn't be concerned with the lack of experience. If you're coming straight out of undergrad like me, I don't think it truly matters. The only experience I have is working at an early intervention Autism program which isn't much compared to other people. We'll get the experience in grad school anyways :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To those that applied or are thinking of attending SDSU/ San Diego. Current and past students have notified me of the heartless and unsupportive attitudes of the faculty and their unjust selection process. Overall you would be better attending and applying to any other Cal school but them. Save the money and go where you are given the attention you deserve. I withdraw my application to them this Fall before it was too late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, EESpeechie said:

I applied to UoP and Fresno State. Last year UoP sent out decisions in the latter half of March and Fresno sent them out in April! I hope they get them done earlier this year lol

The wait is absolutely killing me!

I personally wouldn't be concerned with the lack of experience. If you're coming straight out of undergrad like me, I don't think it truly matters. The only experience I have is working at an early intervention Autism program which isn't much compared to other people. We'll get the experience in grad school anyways :)

I guess you're right, it's just daunting see how much experience other applicants have! 

WOW! You have applied to quite a few schools and your stats are amazing, I have no doubt that you will get into many SLP programs =)! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2016 at 3:33 PM, speechie94 said:

To those that applied or are thinking of attending SDSU/ San Diego. Current and past students have notified me of the heartless and unsupportive attitudes of the faculty and their unjust selection process. Overall you would be better attending and applying to any other Cal school but them. Save the money and go where you are given the attention you deserve. I withdraw my application to them this Fall before it was too late.

I also asked on another topic, but you have any specific examples of what goes on at SDSU that you don't like?  I honestly don't know much about the program besides what I found online.  So far, I only have acceptances from SDSU and NYU so I'm leaning towards the cheaper option.  If you're not comfortable with posting publically on the forum, you can also PM me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have applied to 9 California schools, and already got 3 rejections from CSU san marcos, CSULA, and SDSU.  :(

I have emailed long beach and chapman, and they said they are still sending out interview notifications.

Has anyone heard back from CSU Fullerton, chico and Northridge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hanaidn said:

I have applied to 9 California schools, and already got 3 rejections from CSU san marcos, CSULA, and SDSU.  :(

I have emailed long beach and chapman, and they said they are still sending out interview notifications.

Has anyone heard back from CSU Fullerton, chico and Northridge?

Northridge tends to finish reviewing applications later than the other Cal States.  Last year they gave out answers during our Spring break - around April 9th or so.  This year our break is earlier (March 19th - 27th), so I'm hoping we will hear earlier too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I talked to UoP yesterday, and the woman said that they won't send out decisions until April! I hope they get them done earlier than that though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hanaidn said:

I have applied to 9 California schools, and already got 3 rejections from CSU san marcos, CSULA, and SDSU.  :(

I have emailed long beach and chapman, and they said they are still sending out interview notifications.

Has anyone heard back from CSU Fullerton, chico and Northridge?

i interviewed for long beach last week. we were told decisions would come out 2-3 weeks after the interview (so anytime next week..)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that a good handful of people were interviewed at Chico State last week. There were also a couple of rejections.They will begin accepting people near the end of next week. I also applied to Fullerton and just based off of the boards, they start sending interview notifications in the second week of March. Acceptances don't come around usually until spring break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, talkingcake said:

I also asked on another topic, but you have any specific examples of what goes on at SDSU that you don't like?  I honestly don't know much about the program besides what I found online.  So far, I only have acceptances from SDSU and NYU so I'm leaning towards the cheaper option.  If you're not comfortable with posting publically on the forum, you can also PM me

Hey! I will PM you on the weekend. It just has to do with something I heard about how they unfairly select their applicants and the overall atmosphere once you get there. Again, I haven't personally experienced these from them but it's what I've heard from past applicants and students.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, speechie94 said:

Hey! I will PM you on the weekend. It just has to do with something I heard about how they unfairly select their applicants and the overall atmosphere once you get there. Again, I haven't personally experienced these from them but it's what I've heard from past applicants and students.

Okay, thanks!! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't mind, can you tell me your stats? 

Also, do you have any friends who have interview scheduled with CSULB in next week or after?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2016 at 10:33 PM, SLPBethany said:

Hi everyone!

I see that there are a bunch of SLP forums for applicants from other states but none for California applicants, therefore I decided to start one for all of us applying to schools in CA! 

For myself personally, I am applying to CSUS, CSUEB, UoP, SJSU and CSULA. My GPA is pretty high but I am extremely concerned about my low GRE score and lack of experience in the field. I have not heard back from any of the schools yet but I am hoping to hear back from them soon! 

Feel free to comment on which schools you have applied to, your stats and any questions or concerns =). 

Hey everyone!

I applied to Chico, SJSU, CSULA, CSULB, CSUSM, and CSUF. I've interviewed with CSULB and will have an interview with CSUSM this weekend. Also recieved rejections from Chico and CSULA. Really getting anxious at this point!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2016 at 10:33 PM, SLPBethany said:

Hi everyone!

I see that there are a bunch of SLP forums for applicants from other states but none for California applicants, therefore I decided to start one for all of us applying to schools in CA! 

For myself personally, I am applying to CSUS, CSUEB, UoP, SJSU and CSULA. My GPA is pretty high but I am extremely concerned about my low GRE score and lack of experience in the field. I have not heard back from any of the schools yet but I am hoping to hear back from them soon! 

Feel free to comment on which schools you have applied to, your stats and any questions or concern

I heard Csuf will start sending out letters next Friday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, imunster said:

Congrats! CSU applicants, can you guys post your stats?

I have overall GPA of 3.7 and 3.58 for major(CSD) with GRE score of 150/165/4.0

I have 25 hours of shadowing experience, and worked as a research assistant for 1 and 1/2 years. 

However, I am worried about my CSDCAS gpa, since they do not accept retakes and A+, which lowers my CSD GPA by 3.47

(I have retaken 3 major courses, and 1 A+ is from CSD course.)

Since I have not heard from any school(so far, 3 rejections, and no waitlists), I am really worried and even cannot sleep every night!!!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have a 3.4 undergrad gpa and a 3.75 last 60. i was accepted to csulb and was told they only care about the last 60. my gre scores were 165/155/5.5. i was an undergrad from csulb, interned in their on campus clinic, and had good relationships with the faculty there, but not much extracurricular experience otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2016 at 9:52 AM, EESpeechie said:

I talked to UoP yesterday, and the woman said that they won't send out decisions until April! I hope they get them done earlier than that though.

Yeah, I hope they send them out earlier too (maybe late March at least).

I see you applied to St. Mary's College. It's a great school. If you end up getting accepted there, I'd be happy to tell you more about the local area and the campus dynamic between ND, SMC, and HCC. I would have wanted to apply but it doesn't look like the SMC program is available to out-of-field applicants. It would have been nice to be one of the first male alumni of the program though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, imunster said:

Congrats! CSU applicants, can you guys post your stats?

Undergrad GPA (out of field): 3.52

CSD GPA: 3.9 (CSULB post-bac)

Current SLPA, did my internship hours at CSULB's on-campus clinic, volunteer experience in IE & AAC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone got waitlisted on CSULB? 

Im curious whether they have notified all the results, or only some of the acceptances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.