Fletcher MALD

Zaksh

Offered 22k for two years. It is quite a money burn. Program is sooo awesome. I love the classes, the environment, it's all very professional. The admissions are so helpful and professional. Just wish we got more. Plus, I am married to a non-US citizen, so that complicates things. Still waiting on one more offer! All the best to everyone. 

Hello everyone! Got into MALD as well with 16K over two years. Definitely sharing the sentiment that it is an amazing school, but the price tag is incredible. Plus, living in Boston is very expensive too. 

Got nomination from UCSD (GPS school) few weeks ago. So now I'm waiting on their offer, and decision from Georgetown. 

37 minutes ago, Colocho said:

Anyone else offered a travel stipend to visit campus for admitted students weekend? Wasn't planning on going, but I'm now reconsidering!

Yup, nice surprise!  Brings down my international flight cost a bit... it's nice to be wooed!

11 minutes ago, Policykid said:

Im a current MALD candidate at the Fletcher School. Happy to answer any questions about the school!! 

Great!

First, how did you decide on Fletcher? What was your thought process? What are you studying and what are your post-Fletcher ambitions?

Has the Fletcher name or network helped you in your job/internship search? Do you feel like you miss out in anyway on networking and job opportunities by being in Boston instead of NYC or DC?

1)  I am focussing on political risk managment and macro-analysis. Post-Fletcher, I see myself working in political risk consulting. I have truly enjoyed my time at Fletcher thus far, and would not go anywhere else, even if I had the chance to do so. 

For me personally, at the time of deciding on enrolment, Fletcher made most sense because I am a career changer of sorts and therefore having the benefit of a very broad (include Harvard + Tufts Courses as well) and flexible curriculum were a major draw. It truly is inter-disciplinary. I have also found the curriculum at Fletcher to be most responsive to what's happening out in the real world. I had on several occassions met Fletcher alumns before deciding on the offer, and found the fletcher community (aka Fletcher Mafia) to be a very closely-knit group, which is something that was personally very appealing to me.  I havent found alums anywhere else bat so enthusiastically about their alma maters, which was a very positive sign for me. 

2) The Fletcher netwrok is very helpful. You will get a response 9 out of 10 times when you reach out to someone in the Fletcher network, even those in the higher echelons of their professions. Boston certainly is not DC or NYC and therefore there is a certain disadvantage to living in Medford. However in my opinion, it isnt a deal breaker and there are ways and means around it. Boston is home to headquarters of seveal prominent non-profits, so for people interested in exploring careers in the sector, it may not be any disadvantage at all . 

Hope this helps !! 

Hi Policykid,

Thanks for volunteering your responses here. Much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Policykid said:

1)  I am focussing on political risk managment and macro-analysis. Post-Fletcher, I see myself working in political risk consulting. I have truly enjoyed my time at Fletcher thus far, and would not go anywhere else, even if I had the chance to do so. 

How does your coursework look for specializing in risk management? How many quantitative courses are you going to take? 

Secondly, are you working on campus? Do you know people who do? Finance remains an issue. 

Thanks again for answering questions. 

15 hours ago, PhilzatBerkely said:

How does your coursework look for specializing in risk management? How many quantitative courses are you going to take? 

Secondly, are you working on campus? Do you know people who do? Finance remains an issue. 

Thanks again for answering questions

Happy to respond - 

So far, I have taken 6 courses that can be categorized as quant courses. For political risk analysis, I have taken Large Investments & Project Finance, International Finance, International Treaty Behaviour, Finance Growth and Business Cycles.

I do work on campus. Finding on-campus employment is not that difficult. There is a website where you can sign up for job posting notifications. The hourly wages range from $ 10 to $18 an hour. Given the work-load at Fletcher, you probably won't be able to put in more than 12 hours in a week towards campus employment. 

8 hours ago, Policykid said:

Given the work-load at Fletcher, you probably won't be able to put in more than 12 hours in a week towards campus employment. 

Thanks. How about language learning? Have you taken language courses at Fletcher? The reason I'm asking is that I will be exempt from the language exam as I speaker other languages, but I wanted to take Korean/Japanese/Chinese. I'm not sure when would the next opportunity that I would get learn another language, and I feel like time at Fletcher might it. However, from what I've read on the website, the school wants students to concentrate on other classes. Do you think it will be pretty difficult to balance the coursework in addition to language learning?

2 hours ago, PhilzatBerkely said:

Thanks. How about language learning? Have you taken language courses at Fletcher? The reason I'm asking is that I will be exempt from the language exam as I speaker other languages, but I wanted to take Korean/Japanese/Chinese. I'm not sure when would the next opportunity that I would get learn another language, and I feel like time at Fletcher might it. However, from what I've read on the website, the school wants students to concentrate on other classes. Do you think it will be pretty difficult to balance the coursework in addition to language learning?

Most of the people whom I know take language classes here, mostly audit them (pass/fail for certified audits) or just attend the classes. The language building is right next to the Fletcher building which is convenient. As for taking a lang course for credit, odds are that you would self-select not to do so since there are too many interesting courses to fill in a curriculum worth 16 + 0.5 credits, and you'll always have the feeling of having to make hard choices. 

On 3/21/2016 at 7:35 PM, Policykid said:

For me personally, at the time of deciding on enrolment, Fletcher made most sense because I am a career changer of sorts and therefore having the benefit of a very broad (include Harvard + Tufts Courses as well) and flexible curriculum were a major draw. It truly is inter-disciplinary. I have also found the curriculum at Fletcher to be most responsive to what's happening out in the real world. I had on several occassions met Fletcher alumns before deciding on the offer, and found the fletcher community (aka Fletcher Mafia) to be a very closely-knit group, which is something that was personally very appealing to me.  I havent found alums anywhere else bat so enthusiastically about their alma maters, which was a very positive sign for me. 

2) The Fletcher netwrok is very helpful. You will get a response 9 out of 10 times when you reach out to someone in the Fletcher network, even those in the higher echelons of their professions. Boston certainly is not DC or NYC and therefore there is a certain disadvantage to living in Medford. However in my opinion, it isnt a deal breaker and there are ways and means around it. Boston is home to headquarters of seveal prominent non-profits, so for people interested in exploring careers in the sector, it may not be any disadvantage at all . 

Hope this helps !! 

Nice, I'm also interested in political risk analysis. Have you been successful in finding an internship in this field for the summer?

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Shadowscholar123 said:

Just declined my 20K offer to Fletcher. Hope one of you guys in the waitlist gets my offer :)

God bless your soul, my friend! I hope this will help everyone with finances!

Not to disillusion people, but the financial aid office told me that they award more than they actually have, figuring that people will turn down offers. The readjustments that they do are for a few k, and wont be substantial increases. I told them I had another offer for full tuition and they pretty much told me to take it.