UCSD GPS – 2016

mapiau

I haven't seen a thread for UCSD's School of Global Policy & Strategy, so thought I'd start one.

Are you considering GPS? What are you planning on studying, and what do you see as the program's strengths and weaknesses?

I'm considering GPS for International Politics with a focus on Korea/China. I was admitted early, but still waiting on my fellowship info. The school is very quant heavy, and the poli sci department is fantastic from what I've heard. They also have a lot of great centers that are doing research and applied work for East Asia policy, and a lot of alumni are working in the East Asia thinktank/government arena.  

Hi!

Thanks for starting this! 

I have been accepted to GPS as well for the MIA program. I have chosen my concentration as International Development with regional focus as South East Asia. 

I have spoken to a couple of students and they gave excellent reviews about the curriculum and the university in general. For me quant was a very big factor so this makes UCSD a very lucrative offer for me. The only problem I have is with job placements for an international student. Would any one have any idea about this?

I'm pursuing coursework in energy and Latin America, though I haven't decided exactly what career track would work best for this. There's enough room for electives in the curriculum that I would take much the same courses whether I was a International Politics, Public Policy, or Environmental track, so I'm still doing research to decide.

I'm very attracted to the program, and feel the quality of the classes and professors at GPS is as high as the elite east coast schools. In particular the school's weaknesses—just focused on East Asia and Latin America, and not in DC—don't impact me, given my interests. 

My big concern is job placement. The practically-minded and quant-heavy courses at GPS are very valuable, but the brand just isn't the same as, say, SAIS. I hear really good things about the career services department at GPS, but of course this only gets you so far. 

Hey all,

I went to undergrad at UCSD so I can offer some perspective there. The political science/international relations department is incredible and that does translate over to GPS. However, GPS  and many of its programs are fairly new and fairly small. This could be a good thing or a bad thing -- not as established, but also a ton more one on one support than huge schools. Plus they are really making the effort to establish themselves as a top school so a lot of times that means going the extra mile. I have some friends who have been in their programs and have echoed the quant heavy focus of it.

It is really hard to beat the location, though.

49 minutes ago, SDtoMPP said:

However, GPS  and many of its programs are fairly new and fairly small.

GPS—under its previous name IR/PS—was established in 1987, so while it's new in comparison to other program it's not like it was founded yesterday. Though this definitely does hurt the school's name recognition and the maturity of the alumni network.

I can second the location comment—I went to SD for undergrad too.

Hi all! Thanks for starting this thread. The school does look really good, and SD location is amazing. I received nomination from GPS a few weeks ago, so I'm still waiting on official acceptance letter and financial aid/fellowship offer. 

I also got admitted by Fletcher with a small scholarship. So now I'm debating between top-tier school (Fletcher) that will hit my savings pretty hard, or go with a good school (GPS), and not get myself into a huge debt... Would love to hear your thoughts and comments!

@PhilzatBerkely I'm in the same boat. For what it's worth I think the courses offered at GPS fit my goals better than any other school, and I'm really attracted to the variety and practical nature of the curriculum. With fellowship funding from GPS I could potentially minimize my debt as well. I'm in the process of talking to mentors and former students in my field about the dilemma, and don't have a great answer.

*sigh I wish they would give us the fellowship info soon so I can make a better decision. I already received fellowships from the other 3 universities I applied to (Berkeley MPP, Columbia SIPA, and Hopkins SAIS) so I think the only thing that would tip the scale for UCSD would be substantial funding right now. I agree, the name isn't as instantly recognizable in terms of brand, and the alumni seem to be carving a way for themselves. I called the admissions office last week, and they said they would send fellowship info last Fri/today so hoping it comes soon!

Hi all. I applied for an MIA's program, had my interview on Feb 9 and still haven't heard anything from admission people up to now. Any ideas whether this is normal? Perhaps I should wait until end of this week? Thanks! 

I assume they're coming out today or tomorrow. 

@Stars88, do you have any sense of how much funding would tip the scales for you between UCSD and the other schools you're considering? I'm asking myself the same question. I think UCSD's courses are actually better for what I want to do than SAIS', but the brand and alumni network is much stronger at the latter.

for me, if I get full funding from UCSD like in the form of a Robertson fellowship (full ride + stipend), then it will be a very tough decision. I'm expecting at least $5000 in fellowship funding though because I was a PPIA alumni. I want to be involved with East Asia policy in the future, which UCSD + a Robertson would be a great set up for. However I'm working in the private sector now, and could see business as a possibility after grad school as well, so I want that option to be open too, and that's where SAIS and SIPA come in. I know SIPA also has a great Asia network in case I want to work in Asia in the future.

On 3/15/2016 at 5:46 AM, Stars88 said:

update- emailed the admissions director and she replied today that fellowship info will come "very very soon." not sure what that means..  

Hi @Stars88, is "very very soon" already happened? 

11 hours ago, Meghna296 said:

Received my funding mail today. Anyone else?

Meghna congrats! How much funding did you get? I haven't received any emails about it yet...

Edited by Stars88

17 minutes ago, Stars88 said:

Meghna congrats! How much funding did you get? I haven't received any emails about it yet...

Thank-you :)

I have received a fellowship covering full tuition for one year. Need to figure out funding for the second year but yay! 

They said I could fund my second year through RA and TA positions.

I think you all should start receiving your emails soon too! 

I received an admissions packet about a week ago, but it didn't say anything about funding.  I assume this means I didn't get any.  that's a bit disappointing but it will help make narrowing down schools easier!  congrats to everyone who got funding

9 minutes ago, Solio said:

I received an admissions packet about a week ago, but it didn't say anything about funding.  I assume this means I didn't get any.  that's a bit disappointing but it will help make narrowing down schools easier!  congrats to everyone who got funding

Just wondering if you got the official admission email from graduate division before you received the packet. I was told I was nominated for admission, but haven't received anything yet.