Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
didion10

"Do you have other offers?"

Recommended Posts

Hi all. Desperately seeking crowd sourced info. My dream school that I'm waitlisted at emailed me and asked if I have other offers. They said there is still a possibility there but major things need to be worked out. 

 

I cant tell if they want to hear I have other offers and am competitive

 

or that I have other offers and would still chose them

Or perhaps that I don't have other offers so it's imperative I get in here?

 

my mind is racing. Has anyone navigated this situation?

thank you!!!

Edited by didion10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are probably asking if you have any other offers because they want to make sure you get into a program. If they have 3 people they are interested in and 2 of the 3 people say they have other offers, but 1 person says they don't, they may choose that person over you. If I was in that position, I would lie and tell them I don't have any other offers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it is your top choice program, I would encourage you to be very transparent about that with them. I would probably steer away from lying- if you're looking for a research-oriented career, there is a good chance that you could run into that POI at conferences or other professional settings, an you wouldn't want to develop a reputation for lying. My guess would be that they don't want to make too many offers that get turned down, so they're trying to feel out your interest in them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would definitely tell them - having other offers demonstrates that you're competitive.  It also gives you the opportunity to let them know that they are your top choice school (if you haven't already) and you are waiting on their decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are different ways to respond to this situation. Based on what you said I think it is best to let your POI know that you have an offer but that the school you are waiting on is your top choice and why. Whether you want to do the full disclosure route (give the name of the other school you have an offer from) depends on if you feel comfortable doing so and if that school is a prestigious program. With that being said, not saying where your offer is from shouldn't affect their decision making. 

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with most of the commenters. I would also be honest and tell them about your offers, but emphasize you haven't accepted any because they are your top choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. I was disclosed that my other offer is not a great fit and this is my first choice.

However, this limbo back and forth is giving me nightmares and chest pains .:( Having your dream just out of arms reach is difficult!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, didion10 said:

Thanks guys. I was disclosed that my other offer is not a great fit and this is my first choice.

Minor thing but don't speak ill of your other programs even with vague terms like "fit". First, they might know people there and word gets around. Second, what if you end up there? Don't stress about having done it, but avoid in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.