Petroleum Engineering Fall 2016 MS/PHD Profiles

JDeane

On 01/04/2016 at 0:28 AM, davincr said:

How long it will normally take to get an admission decision? (just average). Mine is always "app is in progress".

GPA: 3.4/4 ( I don't know how to convert German grade to US GPA).

Undergrad Institution: TU Clausthal (Germany).

GRE: not so good haha (didn't learn enough).

Experience:

2 Internships, one at Chevron, the other one at small geothermal engineering company.

research experiences in digital rock physics and flow behavior in porous media 

one EAGE publication.

Research Interest: EOR (field scale + pore scale), reservoir simulation, rock physics.

Schools Applied: Texas A&M , IFP School (I plan to get a double degree).

Rejection: haven't got any decision.

Hi davincr,

I also applied for the double degree. My status on AIS has recently changed to "My App is complete".

I was admitted to IFP School but I have no news from TAMU yet. Do you have any news from TAMU ?

8 hours ago, thunderfly said:

Hi davincr,

I also applied for the double degree. My status on AIS has recently changed to "My App is complete".

I was admitted to IFP School but I have no news from TAMU yet. Do you have any news from TAMU ?

Hi thunderfly,

Yes.. I got rejected.

TAMU actually pratises "holistic" admission policy. They don't merely look at your GPA or GRE scores. Trust me! I would have been rejected if they just looked at my academic performance in college. I believe they will read your Statement of Purpose, your letters of recommendations and consider every supporting documents (Well, that's what an international student like me experienced). 

Maybe you should contact your department/ program coordinator. They are very professional and helpful. The one that assisted me to apply for Fall 2016 is working in College of Architecture. Your AIS status are from "Office of Admission", they will change it as soon as your department accepts you. Don't sit around and assume, compose an email and ask your coordinator. Honestly I was very interested in one program at TAMU and I applied to that one grad school ONLY (brave, I know!!!). I was blessed to get admitted.

@JDeane I am just curious. Will you be attending TAMU grad school this Fall? I literally know no one! Did you apply for housing yet? Because I haven't. Any advice?

@thunderfly I actually applied to TAMU in Feb 16 (the day I clicked "Submit" button). The admission decision came early after 2 weeks through an email from the department. They also sent an official letter through snail mail and it just got here in Vietnam. My status in AIS did not change immediately right after the department accepts me. I don't know about you, but I honestly believe it is more time-consuming than we think. So it is best to contact them, email them or call them up. Good luck!

@davincr Sorry about that :( I hope you will find other opportunities elsewhere !

@Lucky14 Thank you for your answer. I'm impressed by the speed of the response ! You are right it is maybe time-consuming ! I considered emailing the department directly but I thought it might be perceived as rude. Based on admission results from the previous years http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=petroleum+engineering&t=a&o=&pp=25 I think I will wait a few more days before contacting them.

@alligator Hey! This you should find really helpful https://engineering.tamu.edu/petroleum/people/staff

Look for someone who is responsible for graduate admission process (aka Coordinator). Remember your department is the one who makes the decision, not Office of Admission. I will suggest you contact Betty Robbins or Eleanor Schuler. If they had too much to handle, they will forward your inquiries to their assistants. I suggest you do that now. Best of luck!

@thunderfly Please don't assume. They have thousands of emails to reply. The workload is probably up to their sleeves everyday. They would not bother to help you through the process (It is their job, honestly). I never went to TAMU or any schools in the US, but I can tell the staff in TAMU are willing to clarify any confusion. All you have to do is ask, right? At least you have 50% chances of getting the answer

@Kashyap1985 Honestly I don't know. If my research is correct, those who are already admitted may turn down the offer by April 15 (applies to all schools in the US). Then the list will move up and you will know sooner or later. you may even get admission in early May. It really depends. Again, I will suggest you to contact your program coordinator to know if anything is missing or what else you can submit to make yourself a competitive candidate.

@alligator I applied for Master of Land and Property development, College of Architecture. Yah it has nothing to do with Petroleum Engineering. I was just amazed that you all have a really good profile and background (better than mine even), yet you didn't really contact your department. I just want to help. Keep me posted!

@Lucky14 I know a few people, so will most likely find housing with one of them. But I would suggest applying ASAP to the TAMU housing website to get on the waitlist. You can apply for a single bedroom in 2 BR unit (cheaper than 1 BR), and you will be assigned a roommate.

@thunderfly@Kashyap1985 You may contact Eleanor Schuler or Dr. I Yuccel Akkutlu, I have corresponded with Dr. Akkutlu via email, and have spoken to Eleanor over the phone last week (which I posted earlier in this forum). TAMU uses rolling admissions, so it is not over until you receive an official rejection as some of the candidates already have. To those who have been accepted, we are waiting on departmental letter (official already received). April 15th is used as the benchmark unofficially, but many universities do not follow this schedule.

@freebirdie I have also applied to UAF, but this is because I have research interests that the department specializes in. But the program is not ranked highly, and Alaska may not be an easy place for a lot of people to live. Did you apply?

Hey everyone,

Chemical engineering major from Ottawa, Canada here. I was admitted into Texas A&M last week for MS in Petroleum Engineering.

@JDeane Did the program coordinator tell you about how the graduate supervisor that you will be working with is chosen (e.g. outlined in the departmental letter)? Or is it up to us to initiate correspondence with a prof independently about that? I heard each university has its own procedure.

Also, to all that were admitted and planning on going to TAMU, do you guys want to keep in touch in some way? Facebook or otherwise?

@light435 Yes, we will need to correspond with professors ourselves, but the applications are circulated around the department so professors can check out for any available assistantships. If they decide to award a position, this will be included in the departmental letter. She said it is rare for professors to give out assistantships without seeing us there and enrolled. But she did mention that scholarships are awarded to help us out with the transition to get In-state tuition. Hope that helps, and congrats!

@JDeane  I was admitted into Texas A&M last week for PhD in Petroleum Engineering. I haven't got dept letter yet and just start to contact professors. No reply yet. Is the $2,000 one time fellowship or $2,000/month (that's probably too good to be true :-) )? Is your advisor determined?  Thanks.

9 minutes ago, vandecamp said:

@JDeane  I was admitted into Texas A&M last week for PhD in Petroleum Engineering. I haven't got dept letter yet and just start to contact professors. No reply yet. Is the $2,000 one time fellowship or $2,000/month (that's probably too good to be true :-) )? Is your advisor determined?  Thanks.

No, just one time fellowship, will most likely look for assistantship 2nd semester or 2nd year. I have engaged with a few, but not 100% yet who my adviser will be.