Fall 2017 Applications

ForensicPsych93

Just now, Thru Hiker11 said:

Hey guys.  I will be applying for fall 2017 and I am pretty nervous to say the least!  I don't think I have very stellar marks so I will most likely be focusing on applying to masters experimental psychology programs (research based).  Do you guys think I have a chance at masters programs?  I love psychology research but I discovered that I want to pursue grad school for psych pretty late.  I was pre-med in undergraduate so I have taken almost all of those hard science classes required for that.  I hope that doesn't look bad for adcoms.  Stats are a 3.52 GPA, 2 years research.  1 year of being a TA for 400 level psychology classes and 2.5 years of research (1 conference and 1 publication).  I also have two pretty good recommendations and I am trying to attain a good third one.  304 GRE. Do you guys think I would be competitive for masters programs or am I wasting my time?

I think that sounds like a really good application! Are both GRE sections above 150? I know people just put their total up, but it's hard for me to conceptualize if I don't know the percentile scores. Was your writing score alright?

If you think it's important and if it would help you, I would recommend studying a bunch for the GRE and doing some practice tests after studying to see if its possible to raise your scores. Having a really good GRE if your marks are around some cutoffs (I don't know if they are or not, the more competitive cutoffs are around 3.5) can help your application. But don't do it if you don't think it's useful.

I would focus on researching programs with people that you like and whose research is interesting to you. Contact them ahead of time (after reading some of their papers) and then use those meetings or emails to see if you still want to apply to the program. This can help you narrow down your list to places where you've made a connection. Of course, some people won't respond or they won't have time to meet, which isn't a reflection on you, and you should still apply if you really want to work with them.

To be honest, if you really want to try for some PhD programs, I would do some research on those too. You might not be super competitive for a top ten school, but if there was a place with a great research fit, where you made a connection with the PI and you wrote a great statement of purpose, I think you could have a shot. Not to give you any false hope, but my bf has similar stats as you (including the publication, but he has a few posters and maybe half a year more experience and a 302 GRE) and he wasn't competitive for super difficult PhD programs in neuroscience and psych (like UCLA, MIT, Columbia, etc), but he was super, almost over-qualified for some of the masters programs he applied to.

if you think that directly applying to a PhD is what you want at this point in your life, and you can afford to try and apply to a few, I don't see why you shouldn't. However, I don't know where you're interested in and how difficult those are.

I also came from a life science background (like pre-med, basically) and I find it helped me. But most of those courses were in my first year of undergrad.

Disclaimer: Other people may completely disagree. This is just my opinion, and my experience is limited. I just know that sometimes you can get consumed with what ifs, and if the PhD is your goal, you could at least try to achieve that this upcoming round.

On March 29, 2016 at 0:17 PM, Thru Hiker11 said:

Hey guys.  I will be applying for fall 2017 and I am pretty nervous to say the least!  I don't think I have very stellar marks so I will most likely be focusing on applying to masters experimental psychology programs (research based).  Do you guys think I have a chance at masters programs?  I love psychology research but I discovered that I want to pursue grad school for psych pretty late.  I was pre-med in undergraduate so I have taken almost all of those hard science classes required for that.  I hope that doesn't look bad for adcoms.  Stats are a 3.52 GPA, 2 years research.  1 year of being a TA for 400 level psychology classes and 2.5 years of research (1 conference and 1 publication).  I also have two pretty good recommendations and I am trying to attain a good third one.  304 GRE. Do you guys think I would be competitive for masters programs or am I wasting my time?

Hey, Masters program usually take way more students than PhD programs do. Currently, I'm in MA program and I had a lower GRE 3.3, 1 year of research exp, no pubs/presentations. I had OKAY recommendations and I'm almost done with my MA in psych. You have a great chance! :) - Don't doubt yourself. Check the overall profile of MA students in the programs your interested in- see what they did during UG. I think the reason I got in mainly was because I had a very good Statement of Purpose proposing, I did a lit review and showed interest in one particular psych faculty.  Do you plan on eventually applying to Phd/PsyD programs? 

After sometime on this forum I'll finally be applying the coming application season. A part of me feels like an old man applying to grad school, if I get in somewhere I'll be 25 when I start, so not tooo old but compared to someone who just got out of undergrad it seems like a lot of time in between the transition.

17 minutes ago, TenaciousBushLeaper said:

After sometime on this forum I'll finally be applying the coming application season. A part of me feels like an old man applying to grad school, if I get in somewhere I'll be 25 when I start, so not tooo old but compared to someone who just got out of undergrad it seems like a lot of time in between the transition.

The average age of graduate students in psychology is 25-26.

9 minutes ago, khunconan said:

The average age of graduate students in psychology is 25-26.

Understood, it's simply an idea stuck in my head, a consequence of my own opinion of when(the time point) I should have applied to phd programs. Also, now I'm curious are you talking average entering age or average age of grad students in phd programs or is this masters included?

33 minutes ago, TenaciousBushLeaper said:

I'm starting this fall.... I'll be 30.

Just now, TenaciousBushLeaper said:

Understood, it's simply an idea stuck in my head, a consequence of my own opinion of when(the time point) I should have applied to phd programs. Also, now I'm curious are you talking average entering age or average age of grad students in phd programs or is this masters included?

It's average age of first year Ph.D. students. I think it's very common that people take time gaining more research experience after undergrad. Entering out of undergrad is less and less common nowadays. 

Just now, TenaciousBushLeaper said:

Aha, perhaps old is the wrong word, hmm... late? later? lol

There's no use comparing yourself at this stage in the game. We all take different paths. What matters is that you're pursuing your passion. There are truly no 'shoulds' or 'should nots' when it comes to academic and professional careers. I've worked with PhD students who were in their late 40s, and others who were early 20s! 

1 minute ago, clinpsy said:

There's no use comparing yourself at this stage in the game. We all take different paths. What matters is that you're pursuing your passion. There are truly no 'shoulds' or 'should nots' when it comes to academic and professional careers. I've worked with PhD students who were in their late 40s, and others who were early 20s! 

Very true, I thank you all for combating the opinions of my silly mind(upon writing this I've realized that it could be read with a sarcastic tone, it is not).

Moving elsewhere, I guess I should share my "stats". 4 years of research experience, 2 while in undergrad and 2 post-grad. 170 quant score and 162 verbal score on GRE. Not entirely sure what opinions I have about how strong my LORs will be just yet. GPA of 3.6. One area that I'm pretty much terrified about is my personality / confidence for if/when I get interviews, afraid this will ward people off, but I'm working on this, I think.

On 3/31/2016 at 0:05 AM, TenaciousBushLeaper said:

When I enter a program I will be 25 or 26, depending on my application season! I know someone who was almost 30 when she entered! No worries about age :)

On 3/31/2016 at 0:40 AM, khunconan said:

I think it's very common that people take time gaining more research experience after undergrad. Entering out of undergrad is less and less common nowadays. 

I was surprised by this. Out of the 35 or so people I met when interviewing I remember only two or three being still in undergrad. I was surprised to see so many interviewing with master's degrees. 

I am also planning to apply this upcoming fall to programs who have an emphasis on forensic science. GPA overall (I have a BA in psych & a BS in forensic science) is a 3.69 but I am not sure what my last 60 hours or overall psych only GPA's are at this moment. I was an intern for a licensed forensic psychologist for 7 months, I will also have been in my current lab that focuses on children with abnormal sexual behaviors for 2 years by the time I apply, and I currently work in a behavioral health hospital that specializes in treatment of juvenile sex offenders. I have also been a TA for upper level experimental psychology in undergrad. I will have at the least 6+ poster presentations (at least 3 where I am first author) by application time and will have strong letters of recommendation. I have not taken the GRE but am studying and plan to take it at the end of July. I really do NOT want to go a masters track OR a PsyD so I am looking to apply at clinical psych programs only.

Advice on what I should work? And any advice on schools that have a specialization in forensics? Or professors who study juvenile delinquency/ sex offending? Thanks! :) 

Since everybody is sharing :) I'll join in

Applying for a PhD in Clinical Psychology to John Jay for Fall 2017. Undergrad Forensic Psych GPA 3.89 (from John Jay), Grad Clinical Social Work GPA 3.97 (from USC). GREs V 152 Q 151 AW 4 (I was going for above 150s). Experience: here is the tricky part, I do not have research experience (only classes in undergrad and grad). Work experience: Case Management in DV shelter, Case Management in ACS, Clinical Internship with female offenders on Rikers Island, and currently I work as a Clinical Social Worker in Pelican Bay State Prison (almost 2 years, months away from getting my LCSW). Majority of my time in PBSP, I worked in the enhanced outpatient unit with mentally ill inmates, I also worked in their licensed Correctional Treatment Center (prison hospital on ground) in the crisis unit. My focus is within correctional mental health but also with sex offender treatment (mostly IEX). My letters of recommendation: two academic (one from John Jay prof and another from USC), two professionals (both from Pelican Bay). I hope my application is strong enough to get an interview.

In my previous life, I also have a BA in Business Administration and MBA major International Business (both degrees from UK). I fluently speak four languages (English, Russian, French, and Spanish), and I am 33. But I do not mention this in my application :) 

11 hours ago, forensicpsych2017 said:

And any advice on schools that have a specialization in forensics? Or professors who study juvenile delinquency/ sex offending? Thanks! :) 

Here are some people I would suggest looking into for those of you who are interested in clinical psych faculty with forensic and delinquency/criminal behavior interests (some are adult and some are juvenile-oriented):

John Edens, Texas A&M

Chris Barry, Washington State

Paul Frick, Louisiana State

Nora Charles, Southern Mississippi

Amanda Fanniff, Palo Alto

Sue Righthand, Maine

In addition, check out conferences. Even if you don't attend you can usually find programs online. This could show you who is currently doing research you're interested in. I recommend the American Psychology & Law conference, specifically. It was just held last month.

I'll share also. UG GPA 3.9, BSc in psychology. Current graduate GPA (MA psych) is 3.5, planning to bump it to a 3.7 by graduation in December. Took the GRE once, 155,151,4.5. Going to take it again in June and am aiming for the 160-170's in V/Q, 5 in writing. Have been studying since January.  One year research experience in UG, began further lab experience in January, including peer review assisting and pilot study critiquing, one first author poster, and am beginning two more lab positions in the summer at a top university. Will be graduating in December, LoR's will not be difficult, and all of my experience is related to my specific research interests. Interested in family and couple research, so I am applying to social psychology programs and clinical psychology programs. 

I think research experience matters a lot. I had a 3.40 GPA and was waitlisted from Wake Forest MA Psychology. My GRE scores are 159 V 161 Q 4.0 AW. Today I emailed the MA in psychology at William & Mary. The programs are intended for people interested in PhD programs. I'm more interested in jobs right now so these MA psych programs may not be the right fit for me. I'm not removing myself from waitlist yet because I want to see what happens. Time seems to pass so slow. He said by April 15th but what if it's later? There are 30-40 other people on the wait list. It's not ranked. I know all this because I asked. He said it was going to depend on area match so someone who denies their admissions offer has to have similar research interests to me for me to get in. I have one semester of clinical research currently. I didn't like my research because I ended up having to recruit patients. Felt more salesy than research. 

2 hours ago, Plasticity said:

Be prepared to answer why you applied to two VERY different programs. 

Definitely. I am working with my advisor to be more prepared. I am research-focused and will be tailoring SOP's to each program. Differences in programs are due to a few clinical POI's who incorporate social psych in their research. 

11 hours ago, PS7654 said:

Here are some people I would suggest looking into for those of you who are interested in clinical psych faculty with forensic and delinquency/criminal behavior interests (some are adult and some are juvenile-oriented):

John Edens, Texas A&M

Chris Barry, Washington State

Paul Frick, Louisiana State

Nora Charles, Southern Mississippi

Amanda Fanniff, Palo Alto

Sue Righthand, Maine

In addition, check out conferences. Even if you don't attend you can usually find programs online. This could show you who is currently doing research you're interested in. I recommend the American Psychology & Law conference, specifically. It was just held last month.

Thank you so much! I have Palo Alto & Washington State but the other schools are ones I haven't checked out yet. I appreciate the help! :)

Edited by forensicpsych2017

13 hours ago, OnTheRoadToPhD said:

Since everybody is sharing :) I'll join in

Applying for a PhD in Clinical Psychology to John Jay for Fall 2017. Undergrad Forensic Psych GPA 3.89 (from John Jay), Grad Clinical Social Work GPA 3.97 (from USC). GREs V 152 Q 151 AW 4 (I was going for above 150s). Experience: here is the tricky part, I do not have research experience (only classes in undergrad and grad). Work experience: Case Management in DV shelter, Case Management in ACS, Clinical Internship with female offenders on Rikers Island, and currently I work as a Clinical Social Worker in Pelican Bay State Prison (almost 2 years, months away from getting my LCSW). Majority of my time in PBSP, I worked in the enhanced outpatient unit with mentally ill inmates, I also worked in their licensed Correctional Treatment Center (prison hospital on ground) in the crisis unit. My focus is within correctional mental health but also with sex offender treatment (mostly IEX). My letters of recommendation: two academic (one from John Jay prof and another from USC), two professionals (both from Pelican Bay). I hope my application is strong enough to get an interview.

In my previous life, I also have a BA in Business Administration and MBA major International Business (both degrees from UK). I fluently speak four languages (English, Russian, French, and Spanish), and I am 33. But I do not mention this in my application :) 

There is a possibility they will ask why you do not have prior research experience so you probably want to have an answer ready for interview day.  My advice is to figure out who you'd like to work with and email them to see how much the value research experience on a CV and go from there. I know John Jay is somewhat different when it comes to advisors but it wouldn't hurt to check in with the ones your most interested in and see how important research experience is to them when selecting new students. One of my top advisor choices told me it's the second most important thing he looks for on an application (first being GRE scores) but I have heard from other students in clinical programs that having one poster was good enough for their advisor. Good luck fellow 2017 applicant :) 

I'll be reapplying this coming fall as well after a disastrous application season this time around. This will be my 4th time applying, and I'm honestly just out of ideas as to how to improve my application. 

7 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

I'll be reapplying this coming fall as well after a disastrous application season this time around. This will be my 4th time applying, and I'm honestly just out of ideas as to how to improve my application. 

You are seriously my hero! I wish I had the same perseverance!! Keep it up :)

Have you ever been a Lab Manager/Research Assistant at a university working under a professor whose work you are interested in? I would imagine it is good experience and the connections within the field couldn't hurt either!

Edited by FeelTheBern

11 hours ago, FeelTheBern said:

You are seriously my hero! I wish I had the same perseverance!! Keep it up :)

Have you ever been a Lab Manager/Research Assistant at a university working under a professor whose work you are interested in? I would imagine it is good experience and the connections within the field couldn't hurt either!

I did a few Research Assistant stints in my undergrad that weren't exactly my area of research (they were in eating disorders and I/O psych), but I got some good experience out of that. Most of my recent RA work has been for the federal government. I've been working with a clinician in corrections on a research project for the last two years or so that we're hoping to submit for publication soon. He wrote a reference letter for me this past application cycle. 

Edited by FacelessMage

2 hours ago, FacelessMage said:
On 4/6/2016 at 6:08 PM, elenabuena13 said:

Definitely. I am working with my advisor to be more prepared. I am research-focused and will be tailoring SOP's to each program. Differences in programs are due to a few clinical POI's who incorporate social psych in their research. 

That is the way to go and focus on clinical program's that are more research based and a clinical science model of training. 

I did a few Research Assistant stints in my undergrad that weren't exactly my area of research (they were in eating disorders and I/O psych), but I got some good experience out of that. Most of my recent RA work has been for the federal government. I've been working with a clinician in corrections on a research project for the last two years or so that we're hoping to submit for publication soon. He wrote a reference letter for me this past application cycle. 

Do you think it is an issue of fit/research interests or your application?