Fall 2017 Applications

ForensicPsych93

Just now, Seaz said:

Hello all!

I have been reading your posts and it is quite nice to have a group of people in the same 'application' boat as me. Will we sink or float? only time will tell...

I was wondering if I could get some input from other members of the forum in regards to my application and what I can improve upon. I am applying in the area of Industrial-Organizational Psychology (Masters level or possibly a PhD program). Applications are due December-January and I have a small bit of time to improve upon my application. One of my biggest problems is deciding whether to extend my research experience vs keeping a job commitment working as a instructor therapist (but does not give research experience). My job commitment is full time which limits my opportunity to do other things- should I be not full-time employment while I work on other areas of my application? 

Below are my statistics, what do you think could use improvement? How competitive am I? 

GPA: 3.8 (could be 3.76 when converted, I am an 8.0 exactly in a 9.0 scale- which is an A)

I also have an advanced diploma (3 years) in behavioural sciences. I graduated with honours.

Research experience: 6 months (2 positions: one within literature review for elderly populations and another within a business school coding and entering data). I also have a small article published within a newsletter based upon a previous project that did not use any psychology statistics (but it was from a college program I previously attended). I have also completed a thesis from my undergrad.

Publications: None to boost about :(

Work experience: Non related directly to Industrial-Organizational Psychology but I have worked for about 3 years in the behavioural therapy field for children or adults with autism

References: I think I have 2 or 3 solid references but none from any of my research positions

GRE: (V- 156) or 71%, (Q-145) or 21%, (A- 5.5) or 98%. I know I have to up some of these scores, especially my Q.

Thanks for the input! it means a lot to me going forward :) more than I can put into words.

Hey! I'm entering an I/O psych program this year, and I'm from toronto as well (but the other university haha)

PM me if you want and I can give you all the details. The short answer is your application seems really good (I graduated with the exact same gpa, 3.76) and you shouldn't worry if your research experience is in another area, as long as you show that you have research skills. So for that reason, I would focus more on the research, because some places are extremely research focused, while other places are more balanced.

I can also give you some pointers on the GRE! : )

So I'm currently in my last year of a mental health counseling masters program. I don't expect to get into a doctoral program this year, but I'm applying as sort of a "trial run". If I get in, great! If not, no worries. I'll work towards my LMHC, do some research on the side, and reapply in a few years. I'm looking exclusively at PsyD programs, but not at the for-profit colleges (Argosy, etc.) It should be an interesting ride....

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all – So I’m an occasional lurker, now a first time poster! I’m planning to apply to clinical psychology PhD programs this fall. I thought I’d share my stats/background – I appreciate any and all feedback. I know that the process is incredibly competitive and hope that I have a chance. I know that increasing my quantitative GRE score would improve my application buuuut I’ve taken it three times (studying incredibly hard for 6 weeks the third time around, including with a private tutor) and cannot will myself to take it again. I imagine it will keep me out of some of the more competitive programs but hope that it’s adequate for others.

GPA: 3.7

GRE: 157Q, 165V, 5.5AWA

Research experience:

-          2 independent research projects during undergrad (part of two different research seminars).

-          Two years in an emotion/mood lab during undergrad

-          1.5 years (at time of applying) full time Clinical Research Assistant in my area of interest.

Volunteer experience:

-          Hospice volunteer

-          Group facilitator for children’s grief support groups

-          Crisis hotline

Posters: 13 (most at national conferences, 1st author on 5)

Publications: 1, more of a brief report

References: 3 solid ones

Thoughts? Thank you in advance!

On 8/16/2016 at 2:53 PM, catmom92 said:

Hi all – So I’m an occasional lurker, now a first time poster! I’m planning to apply to clinical psychology PhD programs this fall. I thought I’d share my stats/background – I appreciate any and all feedback. I know that the process is incredibly competitive and hope that I have a chance. I know that increasing my quantitative GRE score would improve my application buuuut I’ve taken it three times (studying incredibly hard for 6 weeks the third time around, including with a private tutor) and cannot will myself to take it again. I imagine it will keep me out of some of the more competitive programs but hope that it’s adequate for others.

I applied to cognitive/cog neuro programs and not clinical so I might not be the best person to weigh in on this, but I think you should be competitive at many places.  GPA should be good enough for most programs barring the ultra-competitive schools, especially if your junior/senior GPA is higher than freshman/sophomore and/or you took lots of hard classes.  The quant score is middle-of-the-road, but most psychology applicants don't have exceptional quant scores so you should be okay there, too.  Verbal score is good and AWA is excellent.  

What will really help you is the extensive research experience you have + lots of posters + letters of recommendation.  This is what will probably get you admitted.  I would shoot for the moon and apply to a wide range of schools.  Maybe 2-3 top 10s, 8-10 ranked 10-30, and a couple ranked lower than that.  

If you want to spend a lot of time perfecting/obsessing over your application, you might want to check out my post in this thread: 

Edited by St0chastic

On 8/19/2016 at 9:49 PM, FacelessMage said:

Ugh application anxiety is already setting in. I'm not sure where I can improve my application over previous years, so I'm very stuck. 

Maybe have some friends and/or professors look over your application materials and provide helpful feedback?  They might be able to spot improvements you can make to your SOP and CV.  The SOP forum here on Gradcafe might be helpful, too.  If you haven't already, try reaching out to the PIs you want to work with.  Send them a brief email telling them a bit about yourself (2-3 sentences max) and why you're interested in working with them.  If they reply back, ask if they would be willing to look at your CV.  They can tell you whether you would be competitive and if they would consider taking you as a student.  

I suspect the programs you're applying to are very competitive, so another tactic is just to apply to a huge number of schools--at least 15.  While this can get pricey, if it helps you get admitted somewhere it's worth it!

Also, it doesn't hurt to have a plan B.  Apply to Master's programs if necessary and/or lab manager positions.  

Edited by St0chastic

1 hour ago, St0chastic said:

Maybe have some friends and/or professors look over your application materials and provide helpful feedback?  They might be able to spot improvements you can make to your SOP and CV.  The SOP forum here on Gradcafe might be helpful, too.  If you haven't already, try reaching out to the PIs you want to work with.  Send them a brief email telling them a bit about yourself (2-3 sentences max) and why you're interested in working with them.  If they reply back, ask if they would be willing to look at your CV.  They can tell you whether you would be competitive and if they would consider taking you as a student.  

I suspect the programs you're applying to are very competitive, so another tactic is just to apply to a huge number of schools--at least 15.  While this can get pricey, if it helps you get admitted somewhere it's worth it!

Also, it doesn't hurt to have a plan B.  Apply to Master's programs if necessary and/or lab manager positions.  

I've been doing all of this for a few years with varying levels of success (this is my fourth time applying). I have been told that I am a competitive applicant (strong GPA, good GRE scores, excellent research experience), but it seems that the more I do to improve, the worse my outcomes have been. Clinical psych applications are the worst. 

Hello all. Current first year in a counseling psych PhD program. I applied to counseling, clinical, and clinical-community programs as well as highly considered/began to apply for clinical MSWs. If you'd like any advice or information, feel free to PM! I don't check the forums as often as when I was applying, nor do I check TGC as often, but I will definitely see your PM notification as respond as soon as I can. Good luck :) I know how expensive and emotionally draining this process can be. Extra support to those applying in their second, third, etc time!

3 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

I've been doing all of this for a few years with varying levels of success (this is my fourth time applying). I have been told that I am a competitive applicant (strong GPA, good GRE scores, excellent research experience), but it seems that the more I do to improve, the worse my outcomes have been. Clinical psych applications are the worst. 

Honestly, I think with clinical there are so many applicants that it's a little bit luck of the draw.  The weird thing is if you look at stats of admitted students they aren't even *that* amazing.  GPA is usually somewhere ~3.7-3.8 and GRE scores hover around 80% quant and 90% verbal (e.g., https://www.psych.ucla.edu/graduate/areas-of-study/clinical-psychology/student-admissions-outcomes-and-other-data).  Yet, they only accept somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-5% of applicants.  The numbers just don't add up, so I assume that GPA/GRE is not that important and research experience/letters of rec trumps all.  

I knew a very qualified friend who was rejected from all five schools she applied to.  I don't know what her stats were, but I assume they were very good.  I wish I could say something constructive, but other than applying to a ton of programs I don't know what else you can do.  If this is your fourth time applying I would definitely be considering plan B's just in case.  There are so many career options these days, so it's not like you have a shortage of possibilities.  Don't give up just yet, though.  I have another friend who was admitted to his top choice med school after his third application cycle. #anecdata

Edited by St0chastic

Hi St0chastic - Thank you for the feedback and pointing me towards that other thread, very helpful. My GPA from junior fall onward was at least a 3.9 (I had a 3.4 average freshman and sophomore years), so hopefully that will give me a little boost. I'm applying to a range of schools competitiveness wise (with no geographic limitations) because I'm mostly choosing based on mentor fit. I'm hoping for the best and working hard on my applications, but realistically I'm expecting to need to apply multiple cycles. 

2 hours ago, catmom92 said:

Hi St0chastic - Thank you for the feedback and pointing me towards that other thread, very helpful. My GPA from junior fall onward was at least a 3.9 (I had a 3.4 average freshman and sophomore years), so hopefully that will give me a little boost. I'm applying to a range of schools competitiveness wise (with no geographic limitations) because I'm mostly choosing based on mentor fit. I'm hoping for the best and working hard on my applications, but realistically I'm expecting to need to apply multiple cycles. 

Given your stats and plan to apply to many schools, I wouldn't worry about multiple cycles. Very, very solid, just finish it off with a great personal statement. 

On 8/22/2016 at 9:00 AM, catmom92 said:

Yeah, I agree with Plasticity.  While clinical is insanely competitive, I think you have a good shot if you tailor your personal statement to your POIs and apply to a lot of schools. Research fit is really key, and it sounds like you are basing your schools on mentors so I think you are on the right track.  It says your location is Rhode Island.  I'm curious, are you at Brown?

Also, I would recommend only applying to schools where there are at least 2 PIs you might want to work with.  That way if your primary PI leaves or you don't get along with them for whatever reason, you won't be left completely in the lurch and can switch advisers.  Plus, it's helpful to have several faculty members who are researching things in your area. This can enable collaborations and also makes it easier to find members for your dissertation committee.  You'll also up your admissions chances since if one faculty member can't take you that year maybe the other can.

Edited by St0chastic

1 hour ago, St0chastic said:

Also, I would recommend only applying to schools where there are at least 2 PIs you might want to work with.  That way if your primary PI leaves or you don't get along with them for whatever reason, you won't be left completely in the lurch and can switch advisers.  Plus, it's helpful to have several faculty members who are researching things in your area. This can enable collaborations and also makes it easier to find members for your dissertation committee.  You'll also up your admissions chances since if one faculty member can't take you that year maybe the other can.

This was the approach that I took for this past application cycle, which was my second year in a row applying for doctoral Clinical Psychology programs. And it worked! ^_^ Got accepted into my top-choice program where two PI's in my area of research reciprocated interest in me. Right now, I'll be co-mentored between both professors since they plan to closely collaborate with each other 

Hey! I think your application looks great for Masters programs. I am currently in the Forensic Psychology Masters Program at GWU and plan on applying to PsyD programs this fall for fall 2017. My stats were Q: 149 V: 148 Writing: 4.5. I had two clinical related internships and my UG GPA was 3.3. I applied to about 6 Masters programs and got into all of them but one - I was wait listed and then eventually denied. Be confident in your application and best of luck!

On August 16, 2016 at 2:53 PM, catmom92 said:

I think you have great chances getting in on your first round as long as you have a  strong personal statement that is tailored to POI interests and have a good round of interviews. your stats are fantastic! I'm currently in a clinical program and I did not score nearly as high as you did on the GRE, nor did I have as much research experience as you did--but I do now have my masters. I also went through the process twice. My advice would just be to apply to a good number of schools, because many of times the ones that you think you have no chance of getting into you do, and the ones you think are guaranteed will surprise you.

I don't think you need to take the GRE again especially with your verbal score. Most programs consider verbal scores to be more important, and if you take it again you risk a lower verbal score for a higher math score. 

Good luck! 

Edited by daisy_may

On March 23, 2016 at 4:34 PM, badquesobleus said:

If you're interested in forensics, I highly recommend checking out Sam Houston. It's a great clinical program with a forensic emphasis similar to John Jay, fully funded, with incomparable internship match stats. http://www.shsu.edu/academics/psychology-and-philosophy/psychology/doctoral-program/

Sam houston unfortunately does not have great funding... you pay instate tuition. You do receive a stipend but its not enough to cover all living expenses and tuition. I interviewed there last cycle and that really deterred me. Its a great program though! 

Yes, "fully funded" just means it is the most money they can pay you. Not, here is full tuition and enough money to survive on. Learned that the hard way, still have a 1k bill each semester. 

Hi there, currently starting the grad school application process and kind of freaking out a bit. I suppose I've kind of psyched myself out a bit (sorry, pun not really intended). Anyway, I want to apply to cognitive psychology/neuroscience PhD programs in order to do research. I just took the GRE on Monday, and raw scores were V 160 and Q 158 (my official scores are up, but the website is down till Monday...). I go to a highly regarded state school (considered a public ivy, if that even really means anything). I'm a Neuroscience major and Bioethics minor with a cumulative GPA of 3.84 and major GPA of 3.95. The major is considered an honors major, and I'm also doing the distinguished majors program, which means I'll be writing a thesis. 

Research experience (involved since second semester of college): 1.5 years in Department of Anesthesiology (neuro-related), 1 year in Department of Psychology 

Posters: Will be presenting at AChems this Spring and will do 2 school ones in the spring as well; unfortunately can't make it to Society for Neuroscience meeting this year because it conflicts with marching band schedule :(

Publications: 1 currently, 2 in press 

Recommendations: shouldn't be a problem; will have 2 from lab mentors (one of whom is also a prof for a class) and one from a small, journal club style discussion class (question: can I have additional ones that aren't psych/neuro related? like from extracurriculars? or is that just an undergrad thing?)

Awards: Deans' List, Top 20% after 2nd year, Research Grant, big school scholarship, some of those random honor societies...

My main concern is that my background in research is too focused in biology and not to cognitive psychology/neuroscience. I have extensive experience with EM (electron microscopy) and staring at synapses, vesicles, dendrites, axons, etc. but what I really want to do is work with people and fMRIs. I'm trying to get some shadowing in this year ASAP. 

I also don't know how many schools to apply to, so please help meee! Currently applying to Duke (reach), Vanderbilt (good fit I think?), UNC (also good fit I think?), Drexel (fit/safety), GMU (safety) 

Also, do they even care about extracurriculars I did? I did a lot, but none really have anything to do with psychology except for the honor society Nu Rho Psi. Fun fact though, I was in Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade because of marching band :D 

Edited by lovindasunshine

Extracurriculars don't matter and there is really no such thing as a "safety" when applying to PhD programs. For schools like UNC, Vandy, and Duke you are a little "light" on research experience. Cognitive Neuro is becoming VERY competitive. When I interviewed at some lower R1s there were applicants with 3-5 years research experience, 10+ posters, 5+ pubs, etc. Are your pubs in well regarded journals? What author are you? 

@Plasticity I was only middle author :/ By the time applications will be sent in, I'll have done about 3 years of research total. Do you know if a lot of people applying to these programs go straight from undergrad to grad? I suppose I could also take a gap year and work at the Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute to gain fMRI experience and expand my connections. 

Hi everyone,

I will be applying to PhD programs for social psychology this season. I am primarily interested in working with PIs who study gender discrimination in the workplace, but am pretty open to working with anyone who is interested in gender discrimination. I am hopping that some of you may be able to recommend schools/POIs that, based on my qualifications, you think I have a shot of getting into.

• I have a BA in Psychology from a small liberal arts school (GPA 3.9)
  • About 5 full years of research experience, in about four different labs. I worked in each lab for about two years (at least). Three of the PIs will be writing me a letter of recommendation. Only one of these labs was a social psychology lab. 
  • I have two published papers (second and third author). When I apply it is very likely that I will have a third paper published as first author (currently in peer review). I also will have three other papers (two as first author) in review when I apply. One of which was from an experiment I developed and wrote up from undergrad that concerned gender discrimination in the workplace.
  • I have 7 poster presentations, and was first author on three- all at major conferences (SPSP, SFN,APS)
  • I was a paid teaching assistant for two years
  • GRE: V-160, Q-156, AW-4.5
    • I will be taking the GRE again at the end of September. This is my third time taking it this year, and am not confident my score will go up much.

If anyone could recommend programs that I might have a realistic shot of getting into that would be much appreciated! 

On 8/27/2016 at 9:30 AM, lovindasunshine said:

@Plasticity I was only middle author :/ By the time applications will be sent in, I'll have done about 3 years of research total. Do you know if a lot of people applying to these programs go straight from undergrad to grad? I suppose I could also take a gap year and work at the Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute to gain fMRI experience and expand my connections. 

Hi there,

It sounds like you have a pretty good shot to me.  Your GPA is excellent and the fact that you are a neuroscience major is actually a plus in my opinion--it'll set you apart from a lot of the other psych applicants.  Research experience is very good for someone applying straight from undergrad, and the fact that you have posters and publications is a huge plus.  It's true that you are at somewhat of a disadvantage having done neurobio research rather than cog neuro, but honestly I think what most committees are looking for is people who have high quality research experience in general.  

I also went to a "public Ivy" (not a fan of the term) and did research in undergrad very different from what I'll be doing in grad school.  I had a cog psych background but hadn't done any work with fMRI, just EEG.  I was nevertheless successful with my applications and am now starting in an fMRI lab.  I think all the schools you are applying to are potentially good fits depending on the PIs you want to work with.  Do you know specifically what you want to research?  I might be able to recommend PIs.  

In my cohort quite a lot of people are coming straight from undergrad, so I don't think it's necessary to take time off (although I did and I think it can help).  I would apply now and if you don't get in this year you'll have a big leg up for next year.  I would be very surprised if you don't get in anywhere, though.

I would consider retaking the GRE if possible.  Your scores are pretty good, but you can probably do a fair bit better if you study intensively for it.  Since you don't have a psychology background it may also be a good idea to take the psychology GRE subject test.  I think the importance of the GRE varies a lot from school to school, but it can never hurt to have super high scores!  I suspect the GRE helped me a lot.

Edited by St0chastic

Hi everyone!

I only recently decide to apply to clinical psych PhD this fall. I know this forum is a great site and if anyone can give my ANY comments that will be great!

- My school is ranked top 3 Canadian university (CGpa 3.6, recent 1 year 3.8)

- 1.5 years research experience in cognitive psych labs, no publication though. One poster presentation at school.

- I can get two good but not super strong recommendation letters. Though I am still looking for the third one.

- 1 year volunteer experience in a speech clinic.

- GRE V163, Q160, AW 3.5.  GRE psych  86% percentile overall

I am going to apply to the universities in eastern major cities (unfortunately I need to have geographical restriction due to a commitment to long-term relationship). My financial situation is a disaster now so I can only apply to the fully funded programs. I intend to apply 6 schools, 3 clinical (neuropsych or focus on ASD/ developmental psychopathology preferred) and 3 developmental/cognitive phD programs. Do you have any recommended schools/ programs? or is it realistic to apply this year? because I really want to save every cents if I know my application has a very slight chance.

Applying for the second time to doctoral programs this Fall. So terrified of not getting in again. Currently getting a Masters in Experimental Psych. Applying to Social/Social-Personality/Applied Social programs. 

Here is what I look like on paper: 

Undergrad GPA: 3.91/ Grad GPA: 4.0

B.A. in Psychology, will have an M.A. in Experimental Psych. Four years of research experience, two undergrad (independent studies/honor's thesis) and two grad (worked in two labs, multiple studies, process of completing my Master's thesis). Three poster presentations, Accepted to present a poster at SPSP, and two paper presentations. Two pubs under review, one accepted pub. Here's the kicker (and thorn in my side). My GRE scores. Verbal is fine (78%). Writing is fine (5). Quant...42%. I want to strongly believe my other accolades will carry me through but gosh.. I am terrified. I am retaking my GRE but honestly, it will be 6th time taking it over the course of my lifetime and I have raised it a total of 10 points over that period of time. I just don't see myself breaking the 50th percentile, but I am trying to be optimistic. So what do you guys think? Think I am screwed because of that dang quant score?