Decisions - Cognitive Psychology & Cognitive Behavioral Neuroscience 2016

WillComeTrue

Hello all!

I thought of posting this out of curiosity in everyone's decision for this application cycle.

Those of you who received offers, congrats! Have you made your decisions in choosing which school to attend this fall?

I am still waiting to hear back so I am not eligible to post anything yet (will come running and post my decision when I hear back the good news *fingers crossed*).

Please come and share your exciting news! Where are you headed this fall?

Edited by WillComeTrue

Was accepted the to Cognitive and Brain Sciences PhD program at Binghamton University. Unfortunately had to decline the offer today despite an AMAZING advisor, and department. Their funding package, and bonuses, was the best one I received (check out the website, couldn't believe it). Binghamton itself was a great small city as well. Hopefully a deserving applicant is able to take the spot!

Edited by Plasticity

7 minutes ago, Plasticity said:

Was accepted the to Cognitive and Brain Sciences PhD program at Binghamton University. Unfortunately had to decline the offer today despite an AMAZING advisor, and department. Their funding package, and bonuses, was the best one I received (check out the website, couldn't believe it). Binghamton itself was a great small city as well. Hopefully a deserving applicant is able to take the spot!

Wow, that sounds like a great offer. I wonder what made you to decline this offer, it sounds like an amazing program:) I hope you got another wonderful offer that you will accept!

Edited by WillComeTrue

It is an amazing program. I would definitely tell others to check it out as the department, research, and funding is great. Unfortunately the NY's licensing regulations for social workers, school psychologists, etc. are the toughest in the nation. So despite my partner being independently licensed in our state, would have to start from scratch there or stay in our current state (4+ hours away). 

Fortunately, I had several offers. One of which was a close second and is with a POI I initially applied to work with two years ago but was not accepting students at the time. Funny how things work out.

1 minute ago, Plasticity said:

It is an amazing program. I would definitely tell others to check it out as the department, research, and funding is great. Unfortunately the NY's licensing regulations for social workers, school psychologists, etc. are the toughest in the nation. So despite my partner being independently licensed in our state, would have to start from scratch there or stay in our current state (4+ hours away). 

Fortunately, I had several offers. One of which was a close second and is with a POI I initially applied to work with two years ago but was not accepting students at the time. Funny how things work out.

Oh wow, I am glad to hear that everything worked out though:) It is great that you may end up working with someone who you wanted to work with before. It is literally telling us what is meant to be will ultimately happen;)

Congrats on receiving several offers! This is very exciting!

My SO will be joining the Cognition and Perception program at NYU! It was his top choice program, so we are both still in a bit of shock considering we had no expectations for anything to come of this particular application going in. I hope that everything works out for you! I can't wait to hear the good news very soon :lol:

Edited by FeelTheBern

35 minutes ago, FeelTheBern said:

My SO will be joining the Cognition and Perception program at NYU! It was his top choice program, so we are both still in a bit of shock considering we had no expectations for anything to come of this particular application going in. I hope that everything works out for you! I can't wait to hear the good news very soon :lol:

Wow, that is excellent! Congrats to you and your SO. If everything works out, I would be heading to NYC too!

Thank you for your kind words, I hope to hear back from the school soon and let you all know!

On March 22, 2016 at 8:23 PM, FeelTheBern said:

Nice, I know someone who is in that program. I think she's in her second year of grad school now. She likes it! 

I'll be attending the University of Washington, which was my top choice from the very beginning. Very excited! 

I noticed someone else posted an acceptance to BU's brain behavior and cognition program. If you feel comfortable reaching out to me, i'd love to discuss the pros/cons of this program!

On March 22, 2016 at 11:23 PM, FeelTheBern said:

Good luck to your SO! I just graduated from this school and am close with lots of faculty in the program. PM me if you have any questions. Great program, your SO will love it. 

Thank you!! Congratulations to the both of you on your acceptances! :)

@didion10 it's always great to hear positive things about the school and the program! Did you complete your Master's there?

@vislabgirlx that's really awesome that you know someone in the program! I am glad to hear that she likes it. Congrats on UW! Seattle seems like it would be a wonderful and exciting place to live. So much natural beauty too! I have always wanted to visit/live in the Pacific Northwest!

Edited by FeelTheBern

16 hours ago, FeelTheBern said:

Congrats on UW! Seattle seems like it would be a wonderful and exciting place to live. So much natural beauty too! I have always wanted to visit/live in the Pacific Northwest!

It's pretty awesome.

Signed,

Native Pacific Northwesterner :)

Seriously, though, UW is the only place in the States I considered applying.  Love Seattle (originally from Portland)!

It's absolutely gorgeous in Washington. I'm big on outdoorsy stuff, so I am excited that I'll have so much hiking, camping, mountain climbing, etc. to do. I've been living in a big metropolitan area for the past 5 years, so it will be nice to have the mix of city and nature that Seattle offers.

On 3/28/2016 at 0:45 PM, vislabgirlx said:

It's absolutely gorgeous in Washington. I'm big on outdoorsy stuff, so I am excited that I'll have so much hiking, camping, mountain climbing, etc. to do. I've been living in a big metropolitan area for the past 5 years, so it will be nice to have the mix of city and nature that Seattle offers.

Gah this kills me. I'm accepted to Western Washington's masters program and do a lot of outdoor activities (camping, backpacking) which would be AMAZING in Bellingham. But I'm also accepted to William and Mary and think it's probably a better masters program. I'd hate giving up that outdoorsy culture. :/

8 hours ago, passenger47 said:

Gah this kills me. I'm accepted to Western Washington's masters program and do a lot of outdoor activities (camping, backpacking) which would be AMAZING in Bellingham. But I'm also accepted to William and Mary and think it's probably a better masters program. I'd hate giving up that outdoorsy culture. :/

Ooh Western Washington is a super environmentally-friendly school, which is awesome, and Bellingham is also beautiful (from what I have heard)! If you do end up there, check out their Outback Program. It basically encourages students and faculty to practice sustainable land use! You actually can "own" a plot of land and plant/grow anything organic! How cool is that?! Anyway, sorry for my random plop on this thread, good luck in your decision @passenger47:)

Hey, happy to hear that so many of you are going to great places!

I just accepted an offer to attend Boston University's BBC Psych Ph.D! Now I shift the nervousness from having to wait on app results to figuring out the best way to move my family to one of the most expensive cities in the US! haha

18 hours ago, rtb16 said:

I'll be heading to Auburn University for the Cognitive and Behavioral Sciences program. Congrats to all who have made their decisions (and good luck to those still waiting). Enjoy the next few months, because things are about to get serious!

From a current CogNeuro student - @rtb16 is correct. Haha. Enjoy the next few months, everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, RinseRepeat said:

It took me forever to decide, but I will be in the Cognitive Neuroscience department at UT Austin. I'm bursting with excitement!!

Congrats! Austin seems like it would be a very fun city to live in, and I believe the program is very well-regarded as well :)

Random...but the murder of that freshman girl was awful! :( Sorry, I didn't mean to ruin the celebration, that was just all over the news recently, so when I hear UT Austin that's what comes to mind! Anyway, good luck, it sounds like you made the right decision!!

Edited by FeelTheBern

2 hours ago, RinseRepeat said:

Thanks! Yeah, I've been researching Austin while preparing for my move and that story would keep coming up. It is a very sad story, but also obviously not indicative of the city as a whole. Not only am I extremely excited about starting in the program, but also seeing is Austin really IS Portland's sister city. We shall see Austin....we shall see.... :)

oh! Just noticed you are from Portland...haha so funny! That girl was from Portland too! Is this a thing now, people are leaving Portland and moving to Austin?!?

Now that I know you are from Portland, I have to tell you that I'm pretty obsessed with the liberal, progressiveness, and natural beauty of parts of the Pacific Northwest and I have never even been there. I dream of living in Portland or Eugene or Bellingham someday! I may or may not have suggested that my SO should limit his job search (after PhD) to that part of the country :rolleyes:B) 

Anyway, I too would be curious to know if Austin has that same vibe as Portland...I feel like the people are going to be a little different for sure. For what it's worth, I've been to Houston a couple times and people were really nice, like really nice. Strangers kept telling me howdy and calling me partner, people were holding the door for me, and asking me how I was doing...some wanted to know where I was from and how I liked it there. It was so different!

Edited by FeelTheBern

9 hours ago, lovemc said:

Hope everything is happy with the final accepted offer! I'll make my way to McGill in Montreal. As so much love in New York University, I'll definitely visit NYC couple of times!!! Maybe could meet you and your SO in some conferences lol

Thanks so much @lovemc, everything has been very happy lately, it's been exciting sharing the news with everyone! But, YAY this is such great news for you! Congratulations!! I have ALWAYS wanted to visit Montreal, partly because I've heard it's awesome and partly because I love hockey and I feel like Canadians would appreciate my love of hockey more than Americans do. If you have never been to a hockey game in person...do it! Like right when you arrive in Montreal, buy tickets to see the Canadiens play, it's really fun! Such a great energy!

That's seriously so exciting that you're heading to Canada though. I feel like people always say winters are rough in Montreal, but who cares? It's Montreal...totally worth it. I have several friends that have visited and they came back to the states raving about it! But yes, come to NYC, apply to PhD programs in the city after McGill...plus it's a 1.5 hour plane ride which is super close! Seriously so great to hear this, YOU GO @lovemc! :)

Edited by FeelTheBern

5 hours ago, FeelTheBern said:

That's seriously so exciting that you're heading to Canada though. I feel like people always say winters are rough in Montreal, but who cares? It's Montreal...totally worth it. I have several friends that have visited and they came back to the states raving about it! But yes, come to NYC, apply to PhD programs in the city after McGill...plus it's a 1.5 hour plane ride which is super close! Seriously so great to hear this, YOU GO @lovemc! :)

Thank you for so many positive and energetic inputs @FeelTheBern, really made me feel better about this decision and the life in Montreal! I'm a little scary but more excited about this new life. btw I have no chance to apply for PhD again, as I'm heading to McGill for PhD :P! But I'll keep my dream for NYC as always!! Anyway, you could always visit Montreal for a weekend or a couple of days as well!