We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

Just now, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

This thread was a great idea. I always feel bad about celebrating in the other thread amongst the "I'm doomed" posts.

Agreed - it's such a horrible experience waiting that hearing others trying to make housing plans and figure out the logistics of the next stage can be pretty disheartening. I love the community though it'd be nice to carry it on!

Yeah I kinda felt bad too. In other news, I had an interview for a job today. I scheduled the interview before I got the good news from Tech and I didn't see the point in cancelling. I was hoping that they could do it as a summer position. That was a no go, but I'm happy I went through the interview. I've volunteered/intern at this museum in the past summers and wanted to leave on a good note.

1 minute ago, hippyscientist said:

Agreed - it's such a horrible experience waiting that hearing others trying to make housing plans and figure out the logistics of the next stage can be pretty disheartening. I love the community though it'd be nice to carry it on!

I agree :D I keep hoping to meet someone on this thread that's going to Cornell, but nooo

@hippyscientist Exactly! Plus it was my very first interview so I had to get that out of the way sometime ha. And if it makes you and @Pink Fuzzy Bunny feel better hearing your good news didn't make me sad. I was rejected by 4 and the 5th one was way too expensive!

12 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@Euler Any favorites so far? I still have IUPUI but I've written them off so I'm done for this season. Another geology student asked me if I was planning on getting my PhD.......let me finish my masters first!

I'm like 90% sure at this point I'll be going to VT. Even if right now all six I'm waiting on gave me funded offers, there are only two of those I'd even consider, and they'd have a lot of ground to cover to beat out VT.

School visits are a genius way to get people to attend your school!

@Euler I completely agree! I haven't visited Texas Tech but their warm correspondence has blown me over and seal the deal for me.I love the area around here. Low cost of living, decent things to do, nice parks/hiking trails. Plus the weather is pretty mild. I haven't been to Virginia Tech's campus though, way too big. I went to one conference building for a GSA meeting, that's it :)

2 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Anyone else majorly stalling on telling the important people in their lives that they'll be heading on the grad school journey?  I think I've mostly spent the last few weeks in serious denial that I'm actually going somewhere.

i waited to tell my parents about Texas Tech until I knew more about funding. I also put a gag order on my dad, he likes to share on facebook. I know he's proud but attention overwhelms me at times. Everyone else though I told since everyone I know has either gone through this process or they would like to know. No major share on facebook. I kinda avoid that since I have a couple people in mind that I don't want them to know what I'm doing. But I understand the stalling, its a major thing to process!

6 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Anyone else majorly stalling on telling the important people in their lives that they'll be heading on the grad school journey?  I think I've mostly spent the last few weeks in serious denial that I'm actually going somewhere.

I've told parents, best friend (X2), LOR writers but that's it. Everyone has been very supportive and happy. Parents want to tell the world but I want to keep it under wraps until I have my visa sorted. Absolutely no social media posts - although I've started posting little clues haha. I've known just over a week now, and it's still not quite sunk in. 

Just now, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

You guys haven't proclaimed it to the world? Maybe I'm just a loudmouth... I put that on Facebook for all to see :D

Haha no I haven't, I'm the worst at social media. There are like 5 mes online because I kept forgetting my login info so I couldn't delete them I was a myspace teen so it took me awhile to get on the facebook train :-P

Proclaiming it to the world?  Nope, just my a few of my coworkers so they aren't shocked if their workload increases in a few months, my letter writers, and one friend.  A part of me wonders if I say nothing will everyone else even notice?  I'm surrounded by self absorbed people.

17 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Proclaiming it to the world?  Nope, just my a few of my coworkers so they aren't shocked if their workload increases in a few months, my letter writers, and one friend.  A part of me wonders if I say nothing will everyone else even notice?  I'm surrounded by self absorbed people.

You need to surround yourself with better people.... this is one of the biggest changes in your life, darnit!

*shuffles in*....Hi, again! Glad to see you all on this other side, now that I have a chance to get back here after the insanity that have been campus visits on top of a normal work schedule! (one more still to go, but, getting back to usual nonetheless.) Anyway, congrats to you all, and many cheers, and happy drinks all around :). I'm still yet to make a final decision (given still waiting on a last visit....) but I've got choices I'm beyond excited about, and am happy happy, and glad to see a supportive place here (some of my field specific boards have gotten a bit--realistically, but still--dim, which has my anxiety back, but, yay for here, and celebratory wine, and yeah.)

1 hour ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Not including my husband (the obvious lol), I told my parents and a couple of friends that I was even applying. I didn't want to tell people about applying and then have to possibly inform them that no one wanted me. :lol: Now that I have the acceptance from the school I wanted, I posted it on FB for everyone else to know. The ones who already knew were decent enough to not continually ask me what was going on as they knew I was already pulling my hair out.

I've been chronicling my stress on twitter since the beginning of application season. And I def made a facebook post.

Although, I wish my dad hadn't shared it.I don't really like any of his family enough to want them to know I'll be that close to them He's already told my grandmother that I'll visit her, but I doubt I would.

35 minutes ago, marycaryne said:

Not including my husband (the obvious lol), I told my parents and a couple of friends that I was even applying. I didn't want to tell people about applying and then have to possibly inform them that no one wanted me. :lol: Now that I have the acceptance from the school I wanted, I posted it on FB for everyone else to know. The ones who already knew were decent enough to not continually ask me what was going on as they knew I was already pulling my hair out.

Same here--I didn't tell many people I was applying because I did not want all the questions if it didn't turn out well. Now that I'm in, I'm trying to decide when to post on social media. 

44 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

I've been chronicling my stress on twitter since the beginning of application season. And I def made a facebook post.

Although, I wish my dad hadn't shared it.I don't really like any of his family enough to want them to know I'll be that close to them He's already told my grandmother that I'll visit her, but I doubt I would.

My mom did the same...after I got one acceptance, from my back up school where I didn't particularly want to go. And tagged my name, so both her friends and my friends saw it.

Now everyone thinks I'm going to Wake Forest :P