We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

• 2 weeks later...

@Need Coffee in an IV, not really but I keep telling myself this is only temporary. I'm grateful for wine and ice packs and ice cream tonight! Tell me about it?! This year has gone so quickly and I can't believe the progress I've made since August. I feel like I've set off on a pretty good foot, and it sounds like a lot of the posters here are the same. 

12 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

@Need Coffee in an IV, not really but I keep telling myself this is only temporary. I'm grateful for wine and ice packs and ice cream tonight! Tell me about it?! This year has gone so quickly and I can't believe the progress I've made since August. I feel like I've set off on a pretty good foot, and it sounds like a lot of the posters here are the same. 

Well I hope you get better soon! When I feel super crappy I binge watch awful shows. Biridezillas was always a good/scary time lol. I feel the exact same way, I feel like I've improved a lot. Summer is going to be super busy. I'll be taking classes, working, volunteering at a library, moving to a new apartment, start the process of finding my required internship and doing research.

Just now, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Well I hope you get better soon! When I feel super crappy I binge watch awful shows. Biridezillas was always a good/scary time lol. I feel the exact same way, I feel like I've improved a lot. Summer is going to be super busy. I'll be taking classes, working, volunteering at a library, moving to a new apartment, start the process of finding my required internship and doing research.

There's a reality show about cheerleaders on Netflix that I've binged a crazy amount! Summer is insane here too, but not quite as hectic as yours - good luck with all that!!!! I'm exhausted hearing about everything you got going on

Just now, hippyscientist said:

There's a reality show about cheerleaders on Netflix that I've binged a crazy amount! Summer is insane here too, but not quite as hectic as yours - good luck with all that!!!! I'm exhausted hearing about everything you got going on

Omg if you want fun times, watch all the border patrol shows! And I'm already preparing for my tired levels to increase lol. Honestly I wish I didn't have to take summer courses but I have too if I want to graduate in 2 years

Just now, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Omg if you want fun times, watch all the border patrol shows! And I'm already preparing for my tired levels to increase lol. Honestly I wish I didn't have to take summer courses but I have too if I want to graduate in 2 years

Yikes 2 years is ambitious! We're going for 3 for the PhD, which means a bunch of research alongside classes but so far it seems manageable. Not a huge fan of border patrol shows, I've tried! But anything remarkably "basic" is right up my street!! I've switched to how I met your mother though and it's the perfect antidote to candidacy study.

I completely understand border patrol shows are an acquired taste :-P. See my degree is a terminal masters so the two year expectation makes sense, but they require 45 credits to graduate. So its an "accelerated" masters, which makes me want to cry ha. See I've watched how i met your mother and i didn't mind the ending exactly. I wish they did it differently though

I haven't actually seen it before so I'm working through all the episodes. It's impossible to avoid spoilers this far out so I know what happens but I'm enjoying it anyway! And 45 credits seems like a high requirement! When I did my masters we did it in a year (technically 10 months) but it was structured very differently to US versions. It comprised 4 classes each semester with a 16 week original research project (i.e. come up with an idea, get IRB, data collection, analyze and write up in 16 weeks). Stress! So you have my complete sympathy with the accelerated masters! 

@hippyscientist Yeah I couldn't tell if you were rewatching or not. I didn't want to spoil anything! The 45 credit does seem like a lot but at least I'm funded. A lot of museum studies programs don't provide that. I just put in my IRB, hopefully it won't take long. Is a couple months a good estimate?

Hi, everyone!

I don't have much to add other than I'm just tottering along. This semester certainly has had its up and downs, but I'm glad it's quickly approaching the end. And two years? I'd love to do that! :D I'm going to be around here for a total of 3.5 years.

3 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@Neist See I wouldn't mind doing it in 3.5 years but my funding runs out of year 2. Sooooo I'm trying to avoid taking loans.

I have funding up to five years because the department rewards it in case I want to rollover into the Ph.D. program. That said, I probably wouldn't have enough funding to complete the Ph.D. with two masters in five, so eh...

If I do get my Ph.D. here, I'll have to stay up to my comps and finish my dissertation after I get a job somewhere.

11 hours ago, Neist said:

I have funding up to five years because the department rewards it in case I want to rollover into the Ph.D. program. That said, I probably wouldn't have enough funding to complete the Ph.D. with two masters in five, so eh...

If I do get my Ph.D. here, I'll have to stay up to my comps and finish my dissertation after I get a job somewhere.

That sounds really awesome! My program is in the beginning stages of creating a PhD track. I'll be done by then (hopefully) but i wonder how that will effect funding

5 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

That sounds really awesome! My program is in the beginning stages of creating a PhD track. I'll be done by then (hopefully) but i wonder how that will effect funding

Hopefully, they'll extend some funding offers! It's pure speculation on my behalf, but I imagine that a Ph.D. program comes with increased funding from the University. If that be the case, I'd assuming that some of the funding has to help support the increased study body of the program (because students will stick around longer).

Also, this has been me all weekend.

giphy.gif

I'm not sure if I'm getting better at graduate school or better at focusing, but I think I got this semester down.

3 hours ago, Neist said:

Hopefully, they'll extend some funding offers! It's pure speculation on my behalf, but I imagine that a Ph.D. program comes with increased funding from the University. If that be the case, I'd assuming that some of the funding has to help support the increased study body of the program (because students will stick around longer).

Also, this has been me all weekend.

giphy.gif

I'm not sure if I'm getting better at graduate school or better at focusing, but I think I got this semester down.

That GIF makes me so happy. I'm just waiting to see if my actual research will happen or not

Anyone else has to write formal yearly status report letters? I'm in the process of synthesizing one. The entire process feels a little needlessly time consuming, but I guess people outside of my direct contact like to know how I'm progressing.

1 hour ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

That GIF makes me so happy. I'm just waiting to see if my actual research will happen or not

I love that GIF, too. :D I use it pretty often.

8 minutes ago, Neist said:

Anyone else has to write formal yearly status report letters? I'm in the process of synthesizing one. The entire process feels a little needlessly time consuming, but I guess people outside of my direct contact like to know how I'm progressing.

Neist good to see you're still alive and chugging along! Formal yearly status report? That sounds...intense? Me and my advisor have weekly meetings and I see my candidacy committee at the coffee machine pretty regularly so I guess we don't figure we need to formally update on progress. What do you even say in something like that? Still alive, developing coffee addiction, have less sleep now and work so much that sometimes I forget to sleep?

18 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Neist good to see you're still alive and chugging along! Formal yearly status report? That sounds...intense? Me and my advisor have weekly meetings and I see my candidacy committee at the coffee machine pretty regularly so I guess we don't figure we need to formally update on progress. What do you even say in something like that? Still alive, developing coffee addiction, have less sleep now and work so much that sometimes I forget to sleep?

Pretty much, yup, that's what I said. I stated what classes I took and what extracurriculars I've been involved with. I discussed what rewards I received and what I hope to accomplish next year. Maybe the purpose of the statement is to force less organized students to codify their thoughts on the year and their future? I'm really organized, so it seems a bit arbitrary to me, but I'm sure it's useful to some.

1 hour ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Yeahhh I don't any of those kinds of meetings, then again I don't have a committee yet really. The only status update i need to do is a spot check inventory on our collections but thats in june

I think that the only reason I have  one this early is that I was an undergraduate in this department. I know the people and what I want to accomplish. It was pretty easy for me to pick a committee. :)  

So committees are interesting in our department. We have one made up from three faculty members who are the same for all students in our program and they are your candidacy committee. After you pass candidacy you form your own committee for comps, and this is 5 members, one of whom is outside department. How does it work for anyone else?

20 hours ago, Neist said:

I think we're supposed to do this to a degree. Our advisor fills out a report about our progress and we have "the chance" to respond and have both assessments included in our file. I don't really think it's supposed to be part of the student's progress, rather it seems to be for the department's benefit...so they can show the institution (or whatever bureaucratic purposes). I honestly wouldn't be too worried about it.