We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

Hi everyone!

I've been reading the Grad Cafe since last summer, but only recently I decided to register. The idea of getting into a PhD program was still very blurry and distant, that I thought I wouldn't care much for these forums. How wrong I was! Lately, I've been following the "WINE, WAIT AND WHINE" thread (among others). Reading through it have given me the sense of a community and empathy, as I learned about everyone's struggles and victories and see that I'm not alone. :)

So I guess I finally have some celebration to do as well! Last week I received my first acceptance, great program and great offer, I am really anxious and excited about this! Again, it is really good to read about other people experiences and sharing it!

I wish the best for all of you!

17 minutes ago, yield said:

Hi everyone!

I've been reading the Grad Cafe since last summer, but only recently I decided to register. The idea of getting into a PhD program was still very blurry and distant, that I thought I wouldn't care much for these forums. How wrong I was! Lately, I've been following the "WINE, WAIT AND WHINE" thread (among others). Reading through it have given me the sense of a community and empathy, as I learned about everyone's struggles and victories and see that I'm not alone. :)

So I guess I finally have some celebration to do as well! Last week I received my first acceptance, great program and great offer, I am really anxious and excited about this! Again, it is really good to read about other people experiences and sharing it!

I wish the best for all of you!

congrats and welcome!!!! :) 

11 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

@asurachm I think that means we'll be in the same college? I'm kinesiology but college of health and human development. I'm always down for making new friends! Just bought a thick winter coat that is super light and rolls up to nothing for better than half price :D 

@hippyscientist Wow... that's right, we're gonna be in the same college :D see you then in HHD

Thanks @hippyscientist for creating this thread! I will also be at Penn State, albeit in Mass Comm––perhaps I can get you a thank-you coffee from all of us! It has been incredibly encouraging to know these past few months that, across the world, these strangers were supportive and welcoming no matter what we all had thrown at us. @marycaryne I'm from the Tallahassee area and would be happy to give you details on some fun things to do around the city if you'd like to PM me.

If any of y'all are headed to Tallahassee or Los Angeles, I've lived in both those places and would love to share the positives (and/or possibly negatives); if any of you have lived in State College or really anywhere up north, I would very much love your advice. I've never lived somewhere cold, unless you count London, so this will be a new experience for me!

I'm excited for this, and have told family and some friends, but am also nervous. I keep thinking things have messed up somehow and it's this big joke because this wasn't the first round of PhD applications for me. Does anyone feel similarly?

49 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

Thanks @hippyscientist for creating this thread! I will also be at Penn State, albeit in Mass Comm––perhaps I can get you a thank-you coffee from all of us! It has been incredibly encouraging to know these past few months that, across the world, these strangers were supportive and welcoming no matter what we all had thrown at us. @marycaryne I'm from the Tallahassee area and would be happy to give you details on some fun things to do around the city if you'd like to PM me.

Let's do a grad cafe coffee thing later this year! I'll be moving out in August :) and know no-one so having a few people to hit up chipotle with would be cool. Also I really need to go to a football game and someone needs to explain this whole tailgating thing. 

@yield welcome and CONGRATULATIONS :) welcome to the grad-cafe grad school family! 

Just now, Cat_Robutt said:

@hippyscientist bonus--I can explain any facets of Amish and Mennonite culture to you if you get confused as those are my people! Tailgating....ah.....yes....

Yes! My ex was American but from NJ/NY and REALLY into baseball so I know that stuff but the rest of it - teach me everything!!! :D

@hippyscientist I'm sure many people on this thread would have much to say about the varied traditions of tailgating! My M.A. is from a HUGE football school, Florida State, and there would always be rowdy folks essentially cosplaying, wearing paint, glitter, wigs, even banana costumes. Lots of drinking, sunburn, and stumbling undergrads.

Okay, this whole class registration thing is completely alien. We pick the classes we take and when (with advisor guidance)?? That sounds kinda confusing! I have a rough idea what classes I want to take, so I have to make sure they're offered, not going to clash and I'm eligible to take them? Sorry if that's a sillly question I've just never had to do anything like this before.

14 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Okay, this whole class registration thing is completely alien. We pick the classes we take and when (with advisor guidance)?? That sounds kinda confusing! I have a rough idea what classes I want to take, so I have to make sure they're offered, not going to clash and I'm eligible to take them? Sorry if that's a sillly question I've just never had to do anything like this before.

Generally, this is the process.

I know it's confusing. :( If you need any help, I'll try to help if I can!

Also, please excuse my wonky grammar. This was typed from a phone. :D

Edited by Neist

Hi everyone! I have been stalking you all on here from a distance for the past few months, and thought it was about time I introduced myself. I've been avoiding posting anything to avoid jinxing myself, but now I've heard from my two top choices (with good news and funding!) I am feeling a bit less anxious about this whole process! I didn't really believe I would be offered a place anywhere but now I have the happy and tough job of making a decision. :D

On that note, did everyone just know which university/programme they wanted to go to? I've been offered PhD places at two "top" schools in the UK- I even resorted to allocating them points for different things, and they came out exactly equal! I really need help deciding as I think my family might be getting close to strangling me given how long I have been giving them noncommittal answers about what I'm going to be doing in October. :rolleyes:

So excited though! And so happy for everyone here with good news! 

1 minute ago, Brimstone said:

On that note, did everyone just know which university/programme they wanted to go to? I've been offered PhD places at two "top" schools in the UK- I even resorted to allocating them points for different things, and they came out exactly equal! I really need help deciding as I think my family might be getting close to strangling me given how long I have been giving them noncommittal answers about what I'm going to be doing in October. :rolleyes:

Congratulations on getting into your top choices! :D

Also, I was in a similar situation. Two programs. Both good choices. Eventually, over the course of over a month, I found myself needing reasons to attend one over the other. I took it as a sign. I know that's not the best of advice, but that's how I came to my final decision.

10 minutes ago, Brimstone said:

Hi everyone! I have been stalking you all on here from a distance for the past few months, and thought it was about time I introduced myself. I've been avoiding posting anything to avoid jinxing myself, but now I've heard from my two top choices (with good news and funding!) I am feeling a bit less anxious about this whole process! I didn't really believe I would be offered a place anywhere but now I have the happy and tough job of making a decision. :D

So excited though! And so happy for everyone here with good news! 

Congratulations and welcome out from lurking! Where are you trying to decide between? Have you been chatting with advisors? I know in the UK we tend to apply for projects - is one more constrained than another? Where do you think you might have more opportunities to grow - especially taking into account if your interests change? For me it was a no brainer I got into 2 programs - my top choice and another program ranked like 5th in the US. I had clicked so much with the advisor at my top choice and knew it was the best career move - options for classes, options for research, reputation, where previous students have gone in their careers etc. At the end of the day, only you can make that decision but bear in mind other factors like living costs (if one is in the north and one is in the south for example), hobbies, stuff to do off campus. 

7 minutes ago, Neist said:

Congratulations on getting into your top choices! :D

Also, I was in a similar situation. Two programs. Both good choices. Eventually, over the course of over a month, I found myself needing reasons to attend one over the other. I took it as a sign. I know that's not the best of advice, but that's how I came to my final decision.

Thanks! :D I hope something similar happens for me- sometimes I feel like it's just me that is a bit clueless compared to everyone else armed with stats and a clear top choice! Congratulations on your choice btw- History of Science sounds fascinating! 

5 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Congratulations and welcome out from lurking! Where are you trying to decide between? Have you been chatting with advisors? I know in the UK we tend to apply for projects - is one more constrained than another? Where do you think you might have more opportunities to grow - especially taking into account if your interests change? For me it was a no brainer I got into 2 programs - my top choice and another program ranked like 5th in the US. I had clicked so much with the advisor at my top choice and knew it was the best career move - options for classes, options for research, reputation, where previous students have gone in their careers etc. At the end of the day, only you can make that decision but bear in mind other factors like living costs (if one is in the north and one is in the south for example), hobbies, stuff to do off campus. 

Thanks! :D I am deciding 2 projects/groups at Oxford and 1 at Cambridge- all have awesome (albeit different) focus, lovely supervisors, etc. I was super keen on starting the application process, so I've been in touch with everyone since last summer, and I feel like I have a handle on what the course is like at both places, but it doesn't seem to be making the decision any easier! My Masters supervisor is back off holiday tomorrow and I'm hoping he will have some blunt advice to give (his specialty!)

Congratulations on your offer by the way- I was following your posts on Wine, Wait and Whine and it was so great seeing your post about your acceptance!   

22 minutes ago, Brimstone said:

Thanks! :D I hope something similar happens for me- sometimes I feel like it's just me that is a bit clueless compared to everyone else armed with stats and a clear top choice! Congratulations on your choice btw- History of Science sounds fascinating! 

Thanks! :D I am deciding 2 projects/groups at Oxford and 1 at Cambridge- all have awesome (albeit different) focus, lovely supervisors, etc. I was super keen on starting the application process, so I've been in touch with everyone since last summer, and I feel like I have a handle on what the course is like at both places, but it doesn't seem to be making the decision any easier! My Masters supervisor is back off holiday tomorrow and I'm hoping he will have some blunt advice to give (his specialty!)

Congratulations on your offer by the way- I was following your posts on Wine, Wait and Whine and it was so great seeing your post about your acceptance!   

If you want my opinion - which I know you haven't asked for - I grew up in Oxford. Go to Cambridge!! In terms of life outside the university, Cambridge is a lot nicer. Plus their rowing team seems to be destroying Oxford right now...

6 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

If you want my opinion - which I know you haven't asked for - I grew up in Oxford. Go to Cambridge!! In terms of life outside the university, Cambridge is a lot nicer. Plus their rowing team seems to be destroying Oxford right now...

Haha, funny you should mention that- my dad just texted me to say I should just go wherever wins the boat race, so maybe my fate will be decided in the next few minutes. :P Do you mind if I PM you about the life outside of university stuff? 

Just now, Brimstone said:

Haha, funny you should mention that- my dad just texted me to say I should just go wherever wins the boat race, so maybe my fate will be decided in the next few minutes. :P Do you mind if I PM you about the life outside of university stuff? 

Go for it! If you base it on the boat race you'll be going to Cambridge...

5 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

I'm super confused too but I'm still waiting for more details and I'm planning on talking to my POI this tuesday. Making sure coursework is available isn't a dumb/silly at all! My boyfriend naturally assumed the courses listed on the website would be taught. When he got there though, he found out that wasn't the case and his adviser essentially wrote out his masters timeline without any input....One of the reasons he decided grad school wasn't for him.  I'm super nervous for the phone call, don't want to sound like an idiot... @Cat_Robutt and @Brimstone congrats!

@Need Coffee in an IV thanks! What system are you using to register? For your and @hippyscientist, does your program have a clear program guide as to what courses you must take/when you must take them? Each program varies on this. PSU's system has an enrollment shopping cart where one chooses classes they are interested in and they can check to see if there are any weird time overlaps.

Emailing your POI is a good idea! They are experts on this kinda thing! 

@Cat_Robutt I'm not exactly sure what system we are using for registering and the program does have a clear outline! The only mystery is the 12 electives I will have to take but I'm sure my POI will help me out with that. She isn't my adviser yet but she seems really interested in being my adviser so here's hoping. On their webpage it says that my graduate timeline will be formalized through a committee after 9 credit hours. I know I shouldn't be nervous but I always am when going off into the unknown.