Jump to content
hippyscientist

We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, pterosaur said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny - I had an exam that went almost the exact same way... I was working/studying hard all semester, aced the first problem set, got through the the previous years' exams fine. The profs said the exam would be based on the material from the lecture notes and exercises, and there would even be questions from the exercises on the exam. All of these things were lies. It was a disaster. I've never left questions blank on an exam before (because it was also one of those where parts b,c,d, and e build on part a, so if you don't get the first part you're screwed). The last time I even got a B in a class was 7th grade gym class. I ended up deciding to drop the class, even though it still would have been technically feasible to get the required B- in the class; given how big of a time sink it was (I had no time for research) and the unhealthy levels of stress it was inducing, I decided that was best for my mental health. My advisor is also totally cool with that, which is a relief. I feel 300% better since dropping it last Monday. I'm doing way better than one of my friends in my cohort who is losing patches of hair from stress.

But I also found out I got Distinction on my masters, so it's not all bad!

Congrats on the Distinction!  Its also nice to know Pink and I aren't alone on our island of struggles.  Man if dropping the class were an option then I probably would have done that, but it isn't.  There isn't even a feasible way to repeat it if it comes down to that.

1 hour ago, hippyscientist said:

I love grad school though. It's the best fit. I'm sorry to hear that a bunch of you aren't finding it as fulfilling as we thought it might be a year ago. Hopefully as we start to find our feet and places it gets more enjoyable! 

I can't say grad school isn't fulfilling because getting my MA was very good for me.  I think in terms of a PhD I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that I made the wrong program choice and given how many application cycles it took to get in it doesn't make sense to call it quits and reapply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@pterosaur that sounds exactly like my exam. Didn't even answer 2 of 4 questions... got a 36% on the exam. Ouch.

 

I am enjoying grad school though, honestly. I am loving my research and group especially :)

 

For those of you who, like me, have moved somewhere long and dark winters... I highly recommend light therapy. I bought a full spectrum lamp yesterday, somewhat thinking that the science behind it was kind of hocus-pocus, but I actually am amazed at the difference in my mood. 

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad I'm in the humanities. I honestly feel as if it's easier than my undergrad, at least in the sense that you'll get a good grade as long as you do exactly what you're supposed to and do it well. There's far more work than my undergrad, sure, but I'm not worried about failing as long as I do what I'm supposed to and participate in seminars. It's harder than I make it out to sound, but. :) 

On a brighter note, I asked a faculty member if they'd be my committee chair. They agreed. Yay. And the rest of my (hoped) committee seems to get along with each other.

I like the solidity of it. I have established the direction of my thesis, if not the precise direction (although I'm pretty sure of the direction).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny And the latest....I literally have to ace the final to pass this class and that doesn't even seem to be in the realm of possibility.  *sigh*  How are things on your end?

Same here. Assuming my average on homeworks is what it is now, I need to get a 95%. And HA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Same here. Assuming my average on homeworks is what it is now, I need to get a 95%. And HA

I need a 98%, double HA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry that you guys are having a rough time. I'll most likely get a B in one of my courses because of my group....we have a major assignment which is basically cataloging/inventorying a major collection and creating a moving plan. but we have to work in groups and were assigned them. my group members have repeatedly been late or haven't shown up at all. and i need one person with me to actually do the assignment. two of my group members have outside jobs and can only meet basically one day.....and we need to get 50 points each. i've verbally communicated with them about times, emailed them to confirm the times, and yet they still let me down. I also have to make up my work hours because the only time when people can meet is when I work. So I suck it up and bend over backwards to get this done. And on top of that, I get blamed by the TAs for not being a team player. I'm so over it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

sorry that you guys are having a rough time. I'll most likely get a B in one of my courses because of my group....we have a major assignment which is basically cataloging/inventorying a major collection and creating a moving plan. but we have to work in groups and were assigned them. my group members have repeatedly been late or haven't shown up at all. and i need one person with me to actually do the assignment. two of my group members have outside jobs and can only meet basically one day.....and we need to get 50 points each. i've verbally communicated with them about times, emailed them to confirm the times, and yet they still let me down. I also have to make up my work hours because the only time when people can meet is when I work. So I suck it up and bend over backwards to get this done. And on top of that, I get blamed by the TAs for not being a team player. I'm so over it.

Okay, I'd much rather fail a class on my own than have a major group project to do. This is grad school, students don't have enough time to get things done on their own, let alone having to collaborate for a class. I'm so sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I admit, group projects secretly terrify me. 

I've never been as screwed over as some of my friends have, but the experience is usually never pleasant. :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2016 at 6:54 PM, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Okay, I'd much rather fail a class on my own than have a major group project to do. This is grad school, students don't have enough time to get things done on their own, let alone having to collaborate for a class. I'm so sorry.

That's how i feel too unfortunately, i have to work through these assholes ha. I've calculated and I can still make a B in the class if I keep getting As on the exams. Hopefully i'll never be assigned this group again. @Neist Its as pleasant as bamboo shoots in your finger nails ha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome to see this thread still kicking. How's everyone doing?

The quarter system is no joke at UChicago, but I'm really enjoying my program so far. I'm bonding well with my cohort, learning from caring and knowledgeable faculty, and gaining solid experience through my field placement! Balancing all that with two part-time jobs hasn't killed me yet. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else forget to change their clock and get up an hour earlier than they needed to?  Hehehe.  It turned out ok because I used the extra time to study and felt more prepared for class.

@RCtheSS Glad things are going well for you!

@Need Coffee in an IV Do you at least get to grade each other?  I have happily failed group members who didn't do a damn thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, @MarineBluePsy!

Most of my clocks automatically adjusted for DST and I wake up at 5:45AM every day now, so I wasn't too thrown off. What I don't like is sunsets before 5PM, ugh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still floating around, and I think I'm getting better at this graduate school thing (yay). I read a book for leisure last night. I feel fancy.

I hope everyone else is doing okay!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Neist said:

I'm still floating around, and I think I'm getting better at this graduate school thing (yay). I read a book for leisure last night. I feel fancy.

I hope everyone else is doing okay!

I thought I've been a terrible grad student for falling behind on assigned readings so early (even though I'm still engaged in lectures). Apparently, that could also mean that I'm mastering the art of half-assery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RCtheSS said:

I thought I've been a terrible grad student for falling behind on assigned readings so early (even though I'm still engaged in lectures). Apparently, that could also mean that I'm mastering the art of half-assery.

Mastering the art of half-assery is expected by graduate programs. I don't like that it's the expectation, but that seems to be how things roll.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny I'm sorry! How's the other new students in your program doing (I assume you're not the only one)? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Neist said:

Mastering the art of half-assery is expected by graduate programs. I don't like that it's the expectation, but that seems to be how things roll.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny I'm sorry! How's the other new students in your program doing (I assume you're not the only one)? 

I mean it's not a cakewalk for them, but I have the lowest grade in the class... by far. I scored 2 standard deviations below the average on the last test. Owwww

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Neist said:

Mastering the art of half-assery is expected by graduate programs. I don't like that it's the expectation, but that seems to be how things roll.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny

Being able to bullshit, juggle 10 things at once, drink like a fish & not look like you've been dragged under the bus seems to be the main expectations in my grad program. Oh and "I want this draft code by wednesday" when it's friday afternoon. And all sorts of stuff. I gotta say, I freaking love grad school.. Just throwing that perspective out there because I so often see doom and gloom on forums re school. YEs that's important to know too but so is the good stuff! 

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny one of the classes my friend is taking has an average grade of 4/10, and he's scoring like 1s and 2s. Apparently the prof eventually curves up but yikes.

Actually that's one thing I find challenging TAing is the grading rubrics are pretty vague and I seem to be grading everyone about 10-20 marks lower than the other TAs for my course and the students are starting to complain. The head teacher is going to just curve my lab up at the end but I don't want to give grades I don't feel people have earned. I know if I become a full instructor in charge that my class will be one of those ones students bitch about because I don't believe in 90s being the norm. 70s is excelling :P 

Edited by hippyscientist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hippyscientist said:

Being able to bullshit, juggle 10 things at once, drink like a fish & not look like you've been dragged under the bus seems to be the main expectations in my grad program. Oh and "I want this draft code by wednesday" when it's friday afternoon. And all sorts of stuff. I gotta say, I freaking love grad school.. Just throwing that perspective out there because I so often see doom and gloom on forums re school. YEs that's important to know too but so is the good stuff! 

Yes exactly!! I'm failing but I'm very happy here. My labmates are great and the friends I've made here I think will last a long time :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hippyscientist said:

Being able to bullshit, juggle 10 things at once, drink like a fish & not look like you've been dragged under the bus seems to be the main expectations in my grad program. Oh and "I want this draft code by wednesday" when it's friday afternoon. And all sorts of stuff. I gotta say, I freaking love grad school.. Just throwing that perspective out there because I so often see doom and gloom on forums re school. YEs that's important to know too but so is the good stuff! 

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny one of the classes my friend is taking has an average grade of 4/10, and he's scoring like 1s and 2s. Apparently the prof eventually curves up but yikes.

Actually that's one thing I find challenging TAing is the grading rubrics are pretty vague and I seem to be grading everyone about 10-20 marks lower than the other TAs for my course and the students are starting to complain. The head teacher is going to just curve my lab up at the end but I don't want to give grades I don't feel people have earned. I know if I become a full instructor in charge that my class will be one of those ones students bitch about because I don't believe in 90s being the norm. 70s is excelling :P 

I'm totally with you. I love the experience, but it is intense, for lack of a better word.

Also, speaking of TA'ing, I just had a student meet with me because they expected a higher grade than what I gave them, and I gave them a middling B. I think they should be thankful I gave them a middling B. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Neist said:

I'm totally with you. I love the experience, but it is intense, for lack of a better word.

Also, speaking of TA'ing, I just had a student meet with me because they expected a higher grade than what I gave them, and I gave them a middling B. I think they should be thankful I gave them a middling B. 

Intense - yes! Good way of putting it. So my lab is averaging 88 on the first two assessments, then dropped down to 66 on the third, and I've held their hands a bit for the fourth to help bump them up again. Those grades seem very high to me anyway, just I disagree with the grading system in the US and it's very very very different to what I'm used to. No I'm not giving you more grades, I'm going to advise you on the first assignments, wake you up on the third to kick you into gear, grade acceptably for the next and then end on a high. Maybe throw another scare tactic grade in there if necessary. None of this stupid A-s aren't high enough for me. Okay sorry, rant over.

But I had a great day today, got a bunch of code written and managed to troubleshoot a bit of it too :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hippyscientist said:

Intense - yes! Good way of putting it. So my lab is averaging 88 on the first two assessments, then dropped down to 66 on the third, and I've held their hands a bit for the fourth to help bump them up again. Those grades seem very high to me anyway, just I disagree with the grading system in the US and it's very very very different to what I'm used to. No I'm not giving you more grades, I'm going to advise you on the first assignments, wake you up on the third to kick you into gear, grade acceptably for the next and then end on a high. Maybe throw another scare tactic grade in there if necessary. None of this stupid A-s aren't high enough for me. Okay sorry, rant over.

But I had a great day today, got a bunch of code written and managed to troubleshoot a bit of it too :)

 

My MA thesis chair is from the UK, and he hardly ever gives over a 92% on paper. I admit that I agree with him. As someone who's written dozens and dozens of papers, I can think of maybe 2-3 that I think were truly exceptional, and I'm an OCD perfectionist who spends hours proofing his papers.

As per the ramp up with grading, that's how the faculty member I'm TA'ing for handles things. They were softer than I would have been on the first assignment, and apparently, we're going to be incredibly sticklers for the final paper. I keep warning the students in the class. I hope they take heed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I actually recalculated... I can't pass.... ha. I'd need a 104%. HA.

Yikes.  So what will happen?  Will your schedule allow you to retake it or do you have to take an incomplete and do make up work?

7 hours ago, RCtheSS said:

I thought I've been a terrible grad student for falling behind on assigned readings so early (even though I'm still engaged in lectures). Apparently, that could also mean that I'm mastering the art of half-assery.

Half-assery!  We should put that on t-shirts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.