Jump to content

To schedule or not to schedule?


Recommended Posts

I've been accepted to a program that's likely my second choice.  It appears as though my first choice program has pushed decisions back until the end of April.  I've got a few challenges I need consider.

1.  My student loans enter repayment 6/22.  I can likely afford to pay these off by the end of a PhD (or make a significant dent). 

2.  My first choice accepting me may make a major change on how to move forward.  It appears to be a better fit, more affordable, and a better structure what I want to accomplish.

3.  The second choice program appears to be getting more expensive.  I hadn't planned to apply for a GA or TA position since work will cover, however the number of courses my job will pay is shrinking as the electives seem to be less diverse. 

That being said - my second choice has sent me acceptance paperwork for scheduling.  Should I go ahead and schedule with my second choice program?  It allows me to lock down a status, keep my student loans deferred, and start the process there.  Should I also revisit GA/TA opportunities at the same time?  I can always withdrawal and let them know I got a last minute acceptance, but I'm not sure if this is the best way to go about it. 

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the deadline for accepting the second choice school? 4/15 like most others?

Could you ask for an extension for the second choice?

It would be good to apply or ask about GA/TAships, especially if you're concerned about covering your costs and/or saving to pay off your student loans later.

I would only accept (if you really still want to go to the first choice school) when you absolutely have to, to avoid any kind of awkwardness or problems with the second choice school. I think it's best to try not to burn bridges or cause problems, and I would consider saying you will attend one place and then rescinding that offer causing a problem.

But you don't want to wait so long that this offer's deadline passes and you may have nothing, of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, eternallyephemeral said:

What is the deadline for accepting the second choice school? 4/15 like most others?

Could you ask for an extension for the second choice?

It would be good to apply or ask about GA/TAships, especially if you're concerned about covering your costs and/or saving to pay off your student loans later.

I would only accept (if you really still want to go to the first choice school) when you absolutely have to, to avoid any kind of awkwardness or problems with the second choice school. I think it's best to try not to burn bridges or cause problems, and I would consider saying you will attend one place and then rescinding that offer causing a problem.

But you don't want to wait so long that this offer's deadline passes and you may have nothing, of course.

They haven't given a deadline for accepting.  Admissions are on a rolling basis and it's a small program.  I'm also getting heat from my student loan programs, making things super awkward with the timeline continuing to countdown. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MarkMc said:

They haven't given a deadline for accepting.  Admissions are on a rolling basis and it's a small program.  I'm also getting heat from my student loan programs, making things super awkward with the timeline continuing to countdown. 

I understand. It must be more difficult given the lack of structure and deadlines.

As long as you enroll before 6/22, you won't have to worry about student loans, correct? If so, that gives you almost three months to make sure you have something.

I don't know much about places with rolling admissions, but I'm sure you could wait two or three weeks for the first choice place to respond? Do you think that school B would have a problem with that?

I'm sure it's very difficult to wait and not know what's happening yet. However, if you did accept your second choice and it turns out you got accepted to your first, then you may feel bad for not waiting. Would you agree?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2016 at 9:13 PM, eternallyephemeral said:

I understand. It must be more difficult given the lack of structure and deadlines.

As long as you enroll before 6/22, you won't have to worry about student loans, correct? If so, that gives you almost three months to make sure you have something.

I don't know much about places with rolling admissions, but I'm sure you could wait two or three weeks for the first choice place to respond? Do you think that school B would have a problem with that?

I'm sure it's very difficult to wait and not know what's happening yet. However, if you did accept your second choice and it turns out you got accepted to your first, then you may feel bad for not waiting. Would you agree?

 

 

Well.  With my nerves I went ahead and scheduled knowing that I still had to hear.  Theoretically yes - I need to know by 6/22, however some of this takes 30-60 days for processing.  Of course, I no sooner schedule and in less than 24 hours I hear from my first choice.  The second choice is now offering a GA/TA possibility so I'm going to explore a bit and see where I come out at.  It's getting quite interesting.  :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

Well.  With my nerves I went ahead and scheduled knowing that I still had to hear.  Theoretically yes - I need to know by 6/22, however some of this takes 30-60 days for processing.  Of course, I no sooner schedule and in less than 24 hours I hear from my first choice.  The second choice is now offering a GA/TA possibility so I'm going to explore a bit and see where I come out at.  It's getting quite interesting.  :)

So you accepted and right after your other school said yes? Damn!

Perhaps if you are going to switch to the school you initially preferred, you should do it sooner rather than later. But make sure you decide for sure which one you'll stick with.

Thanks for updating us!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2016 at 11:01 PM, eternallyephemeral said:

So you accepted and right after your other school said yes? Damn!

Perhaps if you are going to switch to the school you initially preferred, you should do it sooner rather than later. But make sure you decide for sure which one you'll stick with.

Thanks for updating us!

Literally the next day.  I'm going to work through what may come with financial assistance and then make a discussion.  While I hate to abruptly leave one program that I started working through shortly after enrolling, but in the end each program will be better off if I wish to be there or someplace else.  Unfortunately this may happen more often than we realize.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.