Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

3 minutes ago, Dash123 said:

This forum is so quiet! I just found the one from last year and people were so active then. Is everyone just quietly biting their nails as we wait? :lol:

To the other ETAs: Are many of you looking to go into a teaching field after your Fulbright if you win the grant? Or something related/completely different?

The spreadsheet is also less full than previous years! For me personally, I'm only now starting to get anxious about the wait since the first round notification is so close.  It also helps that this isn't my first year applying.  I remember last year how I was frantically searching for any kind of info about what to expect and when I should expect it.  This year I'm half anxious and half chill...it's a weird combo. 

It's my second year also! I applied for a different country last year though and I had very little knowledge of or connection to it, so I feel more confident going into it this time with the Czech Republic. Still, the odds feel stacked against us all haha - I wasn't too devastated last year because I hadn't put too much thought into it then. But this time I can tell it's going to sting if I don't get past this first round because I really worked for it. Good luck, @Dilemma1 - also where is that Spreadsheet?  I haven't fully scoured these forums...

2 minutes ago, Dash123 said:

It's my second year also! I applied for a different country last year though and I had very little knowledge of or connection to it, so I feel more confident going into it this time with the Czech Republic. Still, the odds feel stacked against us all haha - I wasn't too devastated last year because I hadn't put too much thought into it then. But this time I can tell it's going to sting if I don't get past this first round because I really worked for it. Good luck, @Dilemma1 - also where is that Spreadsheet?  I haven't fully scoured these forums...

I totally understand fearing the sting of a "no".  Last year I was lucky enough to get through the first round and this year I think I have an even stronger application with my letters from the UK school I'm applying for but I'm still paranoid about the odds.  The odds for the first round are the harshest, after this round it's more like a 50/50 chance.

This is the link to the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AlU2xDiiVhQjK3quPy6qXJuhgXYghzzG8L4YNT0unX0/edit#gid=929221519

It goes back to like 2009 or something.  The first page lists the notification dates for round 1 and all of the countries round 2 results.  Feel free to fill out the 2017 year with as much info as you feel comfortable divulging! 

Good luck to you as well! My fingers will be crossed for you :) 

11 hours ago, Dilemma1 said:

I totally understand fearing the sting of a "no".  Last year I was lucky enough to get through the first round and this year I think I have an even stronger application with my letters from the UK school I'm applying for but I'm still paranoid about the odds.  The odds for the first round are the harshest, after this round it's more like a 50/50 chance.

This is the link to the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AlU2xDiiVhQjK3quPy6qXJuhgXYghzzG8L4YNT0unX0/edit#gid=929221519

It goes back to like 2009 or something.  The first page lists the notification dates for round 1 and all of the countries round 2 results.  Feel free to fill out the 2017 year with as much info as you feel comfortable divulging! 

Good luck to you as well! My fingers will be crossed for you :) 

Thanks for listing this! I applied to the UK when I was a senior (was a finalist).  I also had letters from my host institution and I think that definitely helped! 

Hi Everyone, 

I decided to join in the fun...of waiting! I applied for a research grant in Hungary and am just about to send in my Erasmus Mundus Masters in Comparative Development application this week! Can't wait to start hearing! Good luck to all,

Sarah 

Edited by LibbyCreek

On 6/28/2016 at 9:20 AM, thepictureisstill said:

Applying for Ireland's lone study/research grant this year.

This is a bit old but how was your experience applying as an artist for Fulbright through U of M ? I am from Michigan and have been looking into their masters programs. 

14 hours ago, Dash123 said:

This forum is so quiet! I just found the one from last year and people were so active then. Is everyone just quietly biting their nails as we wait? :lol:

To the other ETAs: Are many of you looking to go into a teaching field after your Fulbright if you win the grant? Or something related/completely different?

It might pick up once the first notifications are sent out, when people become a bit more invested in how their applications turn out. In fact, last year, I didn't even know grad cafe existed until only after I got the first notifications, which sent me frantically searching on the internet for more information and hence finding this place. Also there is a lot more speculation going on then because the subsequent notification dates between the different countries are vastly different.

2 hours ago, Photogeographic said:

This is a bit old but how was your experience applying as an artist for Fulbright through U of M ? I am from Michigan and have been looking into their masters programs. 

The program is amazing, though not a good fit for all artists. Feel free to message or email me if you want to chat more, I'd be happy to share my experience.
burkeru @ umich . edu

Hey all, did anybody happen to apply for Brazil during this cycle? I've just (re)-noticed that the amount of available ETA's has dropped dramatically since 2015-2016. Anybody see this as well / have any idea why? Feeling particularly discouraged after running the percentages through my head... :X

1 minute ago, moderatedbliss said:

Hey all, did anybody happen to apply for Brazil during this cycle? I've just (re)-noticed that the amount of available ETA's has dropped dramatically since 2015-2016. Anybody see this as well / have any idea why? Feeling particularly discouraged after running the percentages through my head... :X

Hi! I just wanted to point out this on the Fulbright website (under regional info for western hemisphere applicants): Selection for countries in Central America and the Caribbean will be made based on the quality of the applications, rather than per-country quotas. Distribution of awards to countries in the region will vary annually according to the caliber of the applicants.

So, yes, Brazil's award numbers have gone down, but I know in past years the numbers altered. In particular, I remember someone who applied to Argentina, was an alternate, but then asked to revise their application (in that cycle) for Brazil and got the award. So I think this region in particular is a bit more open than others.

7 minutes ago, Horb said:

Hi! I just wanted to point out this on the Fulbright website (under regional info for western hemisphere applicants): Selection for countries in Central America and the Caribbean will be made based on the quality of the applications, rather than per-country quotas. Distribution of awards to countries in the region will vary annually according to the caliber of the applicants.

So, yes, Brazil's award numbers have gone down, but I know in past years the numbers altered. In particular, I remember someone who applied to Argentina, was an alternate, but then asked to revise their application (in that cycle) for Brazil and got the award. So I think this region in particular is a bit more open than others.

Totally missed that. Thanks a bunch, super useful! 

12 hours ago, Horb said:

Thanks for listing this! I applied to the UK when I was a senior (was a finalist).  I also had letters from my host institution and I think that definitely helped! 

Thank you for sharing your experience!  It's kinda funny I almost didn't pursue having the school write them for me.  My advisor told me that there were a lot of mixed feedback from Fulbright and other advisors about if the letters of affiliation were needed or not.  Turns out that several individuals who were awarded the Fulbright had letters of affiliation even though the online requirements say it is not expected.

At the very least I recommend to anyone reading this and applying for the UK partnership award to apply for the UK university as soon as you can! Last year I sent in my acceptance email to the Fulbright office (end of January) to inform them I had been accepted into the program. I'm not sure if it was the reason I got an interview or not, but it certainly didn't hurt my application.  Though not having the letter of affiliation won't be an absolute deal breaker, so if you don't have one there is hope!

For anyone especially those that applied for a CLEA: is CLEA completely separate from Fulbright as a whole. For example do they not have any direct communication with the programs available to choose from.

When I submitted my application I also applied for the language program I was interested in. (BTW if you are applying for CET Harbin special summer Fulbright program there is no app fee).

Well I got an email a few days ago saying my CET app was accepted and I am in the program which was confusing because 1. Semi finalists results aren't even out 2. This is a special CET program specifically for Fulbright so it seems weird to accept people without knowing if they actually have a fulbright. I also looked at a bunch of the deadlines and paper work they gave (visa, program commitment, etc) and it needs to be done long before finalist results are out for China late April. Is this normal? Does everyone have to prepare early just in case and just decline if we don't (god forbid) get the fellowship?

7 hours ago, Dilemma1 said:

Thank you for sharing your experience!  It's kinda funny I almost didn't pursue having the school write them for me.  My advisor told me that there were a lot of mixed feedback from Fulbright and other advisors about if the letters of affiliation were needed or not.  Turns out that several individuals who were awarded the Fulbright had letters of affiliation even though the online requirements say it is not expected.

At the very least I recommend to anyone reading this and applying for the UK partnership award to apply for the UK university as soon as you can! Last year I sent in my acceptance email to the Fulbright office (end of January) to inform them I had been accepted into the program. I'm not sure if it was the reason I got an interview or not, but it certainly didn't hurt my application.  Though not having the letter of affiliation won't be an absolute deal breaker, so if you don't have one there is hope!

FYI I had a letter from the professor I hoped to work with, not an acceptance letter because I  submitted it in October which was before schools opened the application portal. It is my understanding that any documents submitted after the October deadline (save official transcripts) are not considered. I think the letters help get through the first round because it shows a seriousness on the applicants part.

I felt like the last part of last semester went so fast, but since January 1st I've been obsessively checking my email lol. I know it's not going to be there for a bit yet, but I can't help myself. I'm really hopeful and excited, but I'm also scared to get my hopes up. Even though the semester just started up again, I feel like this is my biggest source of stress lol. 

Hopefully less than a week guys!!!! I'm rooting for all of us!!!

12 hours ago, hobakie said:

For anyone especially those that applied for a CLEA: is CLEA completely separate from Fulbright as a whole. For example do they not have any direct communication with the programs available to choose from.

When I submitted my application I also applied for the language program I was interested in. (BTW if you are applying for CET Harbin special summer Fulbright program there is no app fee).

Well I got an email a few days ago saying my CET app was accepted and I am in the program which was confusing because 1. Semi finalists results aren't even out 2. This is a special CET program specifically for Fulbright so it seems weird to accept people without knowing if they actually have a fulbright. I also looked at a bunch of the deadlines and paper work they gave (visa, program commitment, etc) and it needs to be done long before finalist results are out for China late April. Is this normal? Does everyone have to prepare early just in case and just decline if we don't (god forbid) get the fellowship?

I once head that some people who applied for the clea found out they're were awarded the grant before notifications were out. I believe those people ended up being finalists. But I'm not 100% sure !!!! 

Hi friends,

Thought I'd chime in since I'm sitting on pins and and needles waiting to hear back. (Here's hoping less than a week now!) I applied for research in Denmark, fingers crossed. Good luck everyone! 

Anyone else applied to Scandinavia?

Best wishes,

Abbey

1 hour ago, abrakazam said:

Hi friends,

Thought I'd chime in since I'm sitting on pins and and needles waiting to hear back. (Here's hoping less than a week now!) I applied for research in Denmark, fingers crossed. Good luck everyone! 

Anyone else applied to Scandinavia?

Best wishes,

Abbey

Denmark is so amazing! I went there for a few days when visiting my partner's family. Are you applying for research or study?   

2 hours ago, Photogeographic said:

I once head that some people who applied for the clea found out they're were awarded the grant before notifications were out. I believe those people ended up being finalists. But I'm not 100% sure !!!! 

Yeah I heard about that too but Im positive this isnt the case since it's way too early. I just wanted to make sure since they are asking me to sign the program commitment paperwork in like a week ,but without knowing my status that seems ridiculous. I'll email them directly and ask what's going on.?

On 1/9/2017 at 7:55 PM, Dash123 said:

I just am trying my best to keep calm. If I am on this forum everyday I start to get all excited/panicked/nervous.

I applied for the ETA in Bulgaria - although I have a passion for education I do not want to have a lifelong teaching career. I taught in India for a summer in this makeshift school and just fell in love with the impact we were making and learning about these kids and their life experience. I really want to teach abroad for a couple years and then get my masters in International Affairs.