Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

5 minutes ago, jmhawkin24 said:

Someone just filled China in on the spreadsheet - can anyone verify this notification?

I was the one who filled it in. I can verify that I received my notification: I was not selected. I am sad, but I just know its one of those things where it'll take time to recover.

2 minutes ago, songkaiwen said:

I was the one who filled it in. I can verify that I received my notification: I was not selected. I am sad, but I just know its one of those things where it'll take time to recover.

Did you go in and highlight China red to indicate they notified?

Wow, notifications for China out around 11am on April 6th when the last few years haven't been notified until April 20th or so at the earliest! Was not expecting that at all.

So happy to hear the good news so soon - selected as a finalist for a China research grant!  ^^ Wishing good luck to all of the other China semifinalists waiting to hear back today!

1 hour ago, littlegate said:

Same! Good luck to you! What's your project if you don't mind me asking?

Awesome! I've been wondering if anyone on here was waiting for Morocco Research! My project is an audio documentary project to record testimonials of women's experiences going through marriage/divorce/inheritance. The goal is to identify why women often do not take advantages of the rights they are given by law. I envision it as a first step to a larger project of uncovering what these barriers are.

So much luck to you as well! What's your proposed project? 

On 3/31/2017 at 3:25 PM, Promixmagus said:

Me too! Congratulations!

On 3/31/2017 at 2:09 PM, maddiesue said:

Finalist for Taiwan ETA! 

Congrats to you both! I was a Taiwan ETA for the 2015-16 school year. Let me know if you have any questions!

1 hour ago, sandralbertin said:

Awesome! I've been wondering if anyone on here was waiting for Morocco Research! My project is an audio documentary project to record testimonials of women's experiences going through marriage/divorce/inheritance. The goal is to identify why women often do not take advantages of the rights they are given by law. I envision it as a first step to a larger project of uncovering what these barriers are.

So much luck to you as well! What's your proposed project? 

Also an alternate! I'm pretty devastated, but I'm glad you're proud and excited! I should try to be too. My project was going to be a documentary on a circus in Casablanca. Yours sounds very interesting-- are the rights you're talking about the ones outlined in the Mudawama?

6 minutes ago, thepictureisstill said:

Just called because I'm a nag. Ireland is hoping results come out before 4/14, but no promises. They're still making decisions.

At least you got that information! I didn't get that much when I called. But omg that's so late! I wonder why it's so late this year? This is going to kill me. 

17 minutes ago, littlegate said:

Also an alternate! I'm pretty devastated, but I'm glad you're proud and excited! I should try to be too. My project was going to be a documentary on a circus in Casablanca. Yours sounds very interesting-- are the rights you're talking about the ones outlined in the Mudawama?

It's such an honor! Fingers crossed. That sounds very interesting!! and yes exactly, women's rights from the moudawana. 

3 minutes ago, Nirerin said:

At least you got that information! I didn't get that much when I called. But omg that's so late! I wonder why it's so late this year? This is going to kill me. 

I spun it as "do you think we will get results before national graduate decision day (4/14)"...even tho I'm finished with grad school lol

4 minutes ago, thepictureisstill said:

I spun it as "do you think we will get results before national graduate decision day (4/14)"...even tho I'm finished with grad school lol

Ha! Great strategy! This is driving me crazy though. Ireland is usually an earlier responder and of course the year I apply it's not. I really wish I knew more about why it's taking so long. I'm overthinking everything! Is it the grant I applied to holding people up? What's happening?!

1 hour ago, Stormtrooper1138 said:

Any UK alternatives get promoted yet?????

I haven't heard that anyone has yet and I'm not having much luck finding out any kind of examples of previous UK alternates being promoted....so I don't know how common it happens.

On 3/26/2017 at 9:17 AM, iDance said:

Hey! First off, CONGRATULATIONS. I know being an alternate can seem disheartening, but from a not rec first round for the same country I am still happy for you and rooting for you to get it! Would you mind if I DM'd you to talk about the process? 

Sure thing. Sorry for the slow response.

Hi, everyone!

I just found out that I'm a finalist for the ETA in Morocco!

sandralbertin & littlegate, your research projects sound so awesome (circuses and women's rights, two of my favorite things!) - I really hope you get selected in the end (and that you'll find another way to do your projects if not with the Fulbright). I'd love to be in touch. DM me!

Best,

Hodna