Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

41 minutes ago, HBAGN said:

Hi, everyone!

I just found out that I'm a finalist for the ETA in Morocco!

sandralbertin & littlegate, your research projects sound so awesome (circuses and women's rights, two of my favorite things!) - I really hope you get selected in the end (and that you'll find another way to do your projects if not with the Fulbright). I'd love to be in touch. DM me!

Best,

Hodna

Congratulations Hodna! 

Thanks so much! 

4 hours ago, HBAGN said:

Hi, everyone!

I just found out that I'm a finalist for the ETA in Morocco!

sandralbertin & littlegate, your research projects sound so awesome (circuses and women's rights, two of my favorite things!) - I really hope you get selected in the end (and that you'll find another way to do your projects if not with the Fulbright). I'd love to be in touch. DM me!

Best,

Hodna

Thanks Hodna and congratulations!

6 hours ago, sandralbertin said:

It's such an honor! Fingers crossed. That sounds very interesting!! and yes exactly, women's rights from the moudawana. 

Fingers crossed for both of us! I'm going to stop lurking here because it'll only feed my anxiety, but I really hope you get bumped up to finalist. Your project is so worthwhile!

I`ve been lurking on this forum for weeks and now that the wait is over on my end I feel at ease to contribute to conversations. I was such a nervous wreck and reading everyone`s posts and support for each other made me feel better, so thanks, everyone, for sharing your stories and advice.

@sandralbertin@littlegate your projects sound great and I`m wishing you both the best of luck! Hope you guys get promoted soon so we can all be in Morocco together!

@HBAGN I too am a Morocco ETA! This has been some great birthday news!!

15 hours ago, jmhawkin24 said:

Wonder if East-Asia Pacific is sending notifications later tonight possibly?

Have all my fingers crossed and actively pursuing any and all good luck remedies in hopes that East Asia will make a lot of announcements today! I'm waiting on Cambodia, but at this point seeing more and more results from East Asia pour in brings me happiness in that I know there are that many less countries that stand in my way of finding out for myself!!

I find it crazy that if Im selected as a finalist, by the time I would start the grant it will have been 1.5 years since I first contacted my host organizations asking about affiliation! 

Such.A.Painful.Wait! I make periodical contact with my affiliates, but the conversation is basically "hey dont forget me, still waiting on results!!!"

16 hours ago, dvsan said:

Just got the dreaded (A) for Clinton Malawi.

Aw I am sorry to hear that! That's so odd though, I haven't gotten any notification yet. It seems like they usually let people know all at the same time. 

Sorry to hear that! 

Did you guys see that the Clinton Fulbright has been removed from the main Fulbright website where we applied? I'm freaking out a bit... Could they have canceled the program?

22 hours ago, sapphireblue said:

Wow, notifications for China out around 11am on April 6th when the last few years haven't been notified until April 20th or so at the earliest! Was not expecting that at all.

So happy to hear the good news so soon - selected as a finalist for a China research grant!  ^^ Wishing good luck to all of the other China semifinalists waiting to hear back today!

If you don't mind me asking were you notified about CLEA at the same time or is it separate? (if you have applied for one)

18 minutes ago, ACZ said:

Sorry to hear that! 

Did you guys see that the Clinton Fulbright has been removed from the main Fulbright website where we applied? I'm freaking out a bit... Could they have canceled the program?

So this is just a guess, but I think it at least means they won't be offering it 2018/19. I'm in the same boat with a different grant—it disappeared when they updated the website now that the 2018/19 application cycle is open. I'm hoping that it doesn't mean they are cancelled this year, but it's hard to know. I think we'll just have to wait it out, as stressful as that is.

That is good to know. I just saw that all info (including pre departure info) was gone and my heart sunk! Thanks for your thoughts!

Edited by ACZ

13 hours ago, hobakie said:

If you don't mind me asking were you notified about CLEA at the same time or is it separate? (if you have applied for one)

I did apply for the CLEA but haven't heard any news yet. Only received the two notification/congratulatory emails from the Fulbright board and IIE that mentioned the grant decision exclusively.

I was also wondering what people's experiences with the CLEA have been and whether it's common for Fulbright to send those notifications through later? CET Harbin did accept me for the "Fulbright Summer Start" term back in March, which seems pretty contingent on selection, but I'm not sure how much to read into that as an indicator for the CLEA decision.

I haven't found much information about the percentage of grantees getting CLEA for Mandarin or on what basis Fulbright allocates the funds to people either...I'm just worried that if CLEA isn't automatic for all who applied (which I'm guessing it's not), then I could see how candidates with more extensive language background might be disadvantaged in this sense against those closer to the minimum second-year proficiency, who could make a stronger claim for needing additional language training before their grant term. Anybody have any thoughts or insights into the CLEA selection process?

15 hours ago, jmhawkin24 said:

Well looks like we're going to have to wait for Thailand...

On the bright side I think for East Asia its only Thailand, Cambodia, Brunei, and Singapore in terms of countries that havent released any notifications. Seems to me like results are kind of aggregated between East Asia and the Pacific Islands. Really hoping they finish off East Asia this upcoming week!!

Just wanted to hear from you all: Are you guys posting on FB/Twitter/IG/any social media that you have received a Fulbright? Or is this something that you can not reveal? I could have sworn I read somewhere years back that you shouldnt reveal it on social media (maybe im dreaming)...ive been keeping it on the low and have told only select people. What are yall's thoughts?

3 hours ago, chemteachersrule said:

Just wanted to hear from you all: Are you guys posting on FB/Twitter/IG/any social media that you have received a Fulbright? Or is this something that you can not reveal? I could have sworn I read somewhere years back that you shouldnt reveal it on social media (maybe im dreaming)...ive been keeping it on the low and have told only select people. What are yall's thoughts?

Um...I told people and I posted on FB that I was looking for a room in Berlin next year, but like, I didn't say I won a Fulbright. I think the only pause is that you could technically be declined the grant at this point (health reasons), so maybe that is why people wait? But like...you won the award...brag if you want!

13 hours ago, sapphireblue said:

I did apply for the CLEA but haven't heard any news yet. Only received the two notification/congratulatory emails from the Fulbright board and IIE that mentioned the grant decision exclusively.

I was also wondering what people's experiences with the CLEA have been and whether it's common for Fulbright to send those notifications through later? CET Harbin did accept me for the "Fulbright Summer Start" term back in March, which seems pretty contingent on selection, but I'm not sure how much to read into that as an indicator for the CLEA decision.

I haven't found much information about the percentage of grantees getting CLEA for Mandarin or on what basis Fulbright allocates the funds to people either...I'm just worried that if CLEA isn't automatic for all who applied (which I'm guessing it's not), then I could see how candidates with more extensive language background might be disadvantaged in this sense against those closer to the minimum second-year proficiency, who could make a stronger claim for needing additional language training before their grant term. Anybody have any thoughts or insights into the CLEA selection process?

Yea I was accepted into CET Harbin summer term early january so I don't see it as a factor, I also asked CET back then and they operate separately from Fulbright until you win or not win the grant. So you can get accepted and then when you find out they'll either continue or forfeit your app.

From what I heard from other applicants it is really project dependent, so if you need the language you should be able to get it. I know a few people with more than two years that have gotten them. Im hoping that won't be held against me though because I have 5 years but still would like to do the CLEA for my project's purposes. 

Which part of China will you be in? Im in Guangzhou.