Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

Although it is not technically Fulbright, does anyone know if decisions have been sent out for Austria USTAs? It seems like in previous years they have been sent out by now, but I am seeing no evidence of this year's decisions on the web (or in my constantly-refreshed inbox).

For those of you who received acceptances earlier, how long after the initial two emails did it take to get the email from your host country commission with grant details?

1 minute ago, Nirerin said:

For those of you who received acceptances earlier, how long after the initial two emails did it take to get the email from your host country commission with grant details?

Just sent you an e-mail CONGRATS!!! For me it took two weeks before I got the e-mail from my host country (although ETAs were informed a day after). I think it just depends on your country and program. I am still waiting to hear on the program's term and conditions but I already sent and uploaded everything from the US's end. 

1 hour ago, sat0ri said:

Since it looks like most of the acceptances have gone out, I wanted to ask... How does everyone plan on engaging with their host country? I'm especially curious with the UK winners plan on doing

Hey! I'm heading to a UK university, and a lot of my planned engagement will be through my university's societies and the like--outside of joining the History society (kind of expected given my program of study) I'm planning to join and be very involved with the Creative Writing society, as UEA's MA Creative Writing program is one of the best in the world! But I'm also hoping to work with various organizations that help people with disabilities and fight for their benefits and legal rights, as my project is centered on the experience of medieval disability. Other than those areas, I'm not entirely sure yet, given I don't know how much time I'll need to reserve for schoolwork, but I'm hoping to say yes to a lot of different opportunities across disciplines!

46 minutes ago, ibette said:

Just sent you an e-mail CONGRATS!!! For me it took two weeks before I got the e-mail from my host country (although ETAs were informed a day after). I think it just depends on your country and program. I am still waiting to hear on the program's term and conditions but I already sent and uploaded everything from the US's end. 

Thanks! Gah! I don't want to wait another two weeks before finding out all the details hahaha. I'll just get to work on everything else!

1 hour ago, Nirerin said:

I got mine the next day, but we aren't getting the official grant authorization document until 4-6 weeks after we submit the stuff.

Hi everyone! Does anyone know anything about the visa process? I just got accepted to Thailand but can't find anything about visas. I would like to return to an internship abroad this summer before my grant starts but I need my passport to do so. I had to get a student visa when I studied abroad in Spain and the consulate had my passport for a few weeks, is it similar to that process? Sorry if this has already been discussed and thank you in advance!

2 hours ago, hj2012 said:

Is anyone else still waiting to hear back? I'm sad that the 2018-2019 application page has become active and I still haven't heard for this upcoming academic year...

Anyone want to make bets on which country will notify last?

I'm currently waiting on Cambodia to release results...though I'd rather bet against myself for own sanity's sake!

4 hours ago, jakem1023 said:

Anyone want to make bets on which country will notify last?

I'm currently waiting on Cambodia to release results...though I'd rather bet against myself for own sanity's sake!

This seems like the antidote (reverse magic?) that we need! :o 

(though just wait: all the remaining countries will notify all at once...at the end of the month!)

On 4/10/2017 at 6:28 PM, inkstainedarm said:

Hey! I'm heading to a UK university, and a lot of my planned engagement will be through my university's societies and the like--outside of joining the History society (kind of expected given my program of study) I'm planning to join and be very involved with the Creative Writing society, as UEA's MA Creative Writing program is one of the best in the world! But I'm also hoping to work with various organizations that help people with disabilities and fight for their benefits and legal rights, as my project is centered on the experience of medieval disability. Other than those areas, I'm not entirely sure yet, given I don't know how much time I'll need to reserve for schoolwork, but I'm hoping to say yes to a lot of different opportunities across disciplines!

Awesome! I was involved with Best Buddies all four years of university, so disabilities are a major interest of mine :)

On 4/10/2017 at 6:10 PM, Nirerin said:

I received my acceptance 2 weeks ago and immediately turned in my Terms and Medical. I hadn't heard anything about the Grant Authorization document so I contacted someone at IIE and he said I should receive that document (with the grant details) by the end of April or early May.

On 4/10/2017 at 4:49 PM, m00se said:

Although it is not technically Fulbright, does anyone know if decisions have been sent out for Austria USTAs? It seems like in previous years they have been sent out by now, but I am seeing no evidence of this year's decisions on the web (or in my constantly-refreshed inbox).

Not sure if you got this resolved, but I believe my friend was accepted to this today. Hope that helps!

10 hours ago, landofsmiles said:

Hi everyone! Does anyone know anything about the visa process? I just got accepted to Thailand but can't find anything about visas. I would like to return to an internship abroad this summer before my grant starts but I need my passport to do so. I had to get a student visa when I studied abroad in Spain and the consulate had my passport for a few weeks, is it similar to that process? Sorry if this has already been discussed and thank you in advance!

Every country is different, so idk how useful it will be unless someone is familiar with Thailand. That being said, I know a couple people who have been abroad the summer before their Fulbright and they can work with, in your case, the Thai embassy in x country. (My friend is doing CLS Chinese and Fulbright Colombia, and she will get her Colombian visa this summer in China.)

Hope that helps! Sorry I don't know I don't know specifics about Thailand.

12 hours ago, Lab6214 said:

Every country is different, so idk how useful it will be unless someone is familiar with Thailand. That being said, I know a couple people who have been abroad the summer before their Fulbright and they can work with, in your case, the Thai embassy in x country. (My friend is doing CLS Chinese and Fulbright Colombia, and she will get her Colombian visa this summer in China.)

Hope that helps! Sorry I don't know I don't know specifics about Thailand.

Thank you very much! That is useful :)

2 hours ago, jakem1023 said:

Woohoo! Cambodia just announced, got selected for research! So glad the wait is finally over! Hope everyone who is waiting on results/clarification on alternate status hear back soon!!

Congrats! Hope Mexico is next...

How flexible is Fulbright with start dates? My Grant Authorization Form says "normally beginning at a time of mutual convenience between August 1 and September 1."

Someone stated earlier in the thread that they would like to start in the next year. Is it common/rare to push back the start date, and might this depend on the country?

Thanks all!

On 4/11/2017 at 11:07 PM, hj2012 said:

This seems like the antidote (reverse magic?) that we need! :o 

(though just wait: all the remaining countries will notify all at once...at the end of the month!)

If you want to start subscribing to superstitious belief I'd recommend it...within 24 hours of using this supposed "reverse magic" I got notified! 

Worth a try eh? Seems like an awful lot of waiting left for South America and Latino countries...good luck!