Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

13 hours ago, christineangeline said:

Hey! I got Korea ETA too! I literally just joined this forum after stalking it throughout the entire app process, haha. Do you know if there's a facebook group for us yet? I have so many questions about all our forms and I'd like to get hyped with others, so I'm wondering if I should create one. 

6 hours ago, pengpolaruin said:

Hey! I'm also a Korea ETA finalist! There is the Fulbright Grant Applicants group with current Fulbrighters, Fulbright finalists, applicants, etc. 

I asked on that group if there was a Korea ETA 2017-2018 group yet or if I should make one, and a girl who is a current Korea ETA said that the KAEC will make an official group for us soon - maybe waiting for medical clearances and all that! 

Hello! Another Korea ETA here; I'm thrilled to meet you guys! Have either of you received your grant authorization document yet? I was just promoted from alternate last week, and I am eager to get some details about the grant. Namely, I'm wondering when we are supposed to arrive in Korea!  :)

1 hour ago, HBAGN said:

Hi, everyone!

Can anyone help me to understand which is my "grantee number" - is it the number that begins with two letters and is followed by eight numbers (send in the initial selection email) or is it the eight-character-long number that was automatically populated in my Fulbright Self-Service account? 

I am asking because the medical form submission specifically requests a "grantee number" but I've been sent both a "Fulbright ID number" and a "Participant ID" and don't know which one to use ...

Thanks!

-Hodna

It's the number that begins with two letters and is followed by eight numbers!  I just entered the eight numbers without the two letters and it worked for me. Hope that helps! 

On 4/10/2017 at 4:49 PM, m00se said:

Although it is not technically Fulbright, does anyone know if decisions have been sent out for Austria USTAs? It seems like in previous years they have been sent out by now, but I am seeing no evidence of this year's decisions on the web (or in my constantly-refreshed inbox).

I received an offer from USTA on April 11 (but turned it down as I have already accepted a research/study Fulbright to Germany). Best of luck to you!

2 hours ago, emmajust said:

Hey! Has anyone's proof of citizenship been approved yet? I submitted it weeks ago and am starting to worry.

Mine was approved the very next day. I'd email your point of contact about it. 

13 hours ago, awilliams said:

It's the number that begins with two letters and is followed by eight numbers!  I just entered the eight numbers without the two letters and it worked for me. Hope that helps! 

@awilliams CONGRATULATIONS on your grant!

I ended up using that number, too ... but haven't heard back (it can take 2-3 weeks, I think, for the medical forms to be processed). 

Thanks for your advice! (It's so nice to be in contact with everyone on here :) )

Edited by HBAGN
typo

Hello hello! Congratulations to those lucky ones who have been accepted! And good luck to those still waiting! I just wanted to repost the link to our Facebook group! It's a great place to find support, get free essay editors, get your questions answered, or just make the wait a little easier. Come join our active and growing community of almost 500 applicants, grantees, and alumni <3

facebook.com/fulbrightgrantapplicants

1 hour ago, mrhappy895 said:

Has any alternate been able to find out their position on the alternate list? They said there isn't one but tbh I don't believe that 

I'm positive they have a list.  It's either one that is a simple hierarchy or it may be slightly abstract in the sense that it may be based on the cost of each grantee (if the principal with a more expensive project declines then maybe two alternates get selected) or it's based on similar projects (like if the principal is doing a project on XYZ and there are alternates with projects ABC and XYZ they may go with the second alternate since it was similar or in the same field as the former principal).  

I'm also positive they won't share it with anyone.

I've heard of scholarships and grants that at the end give a rank to all applicants, which would be really helpful in deciding whether to apply again or wait it out. Unfortunately, I think the Fulbright is too large and complex to send out a ranking of even just the alternates since there are so many variables to consider. :mellow:

1 minute ago, Dilemma1 said:

I'm positive they have a list.  It's either one that is a simple hierarchy or it may be slightly abstract in the sense that it may be based on the cost of each grantee (if the principal with a more expensive project declines then maybe two alternates get selected) or it's based on similar projects (like if the principal is doing a project on XYZ and there are alternates with projects ABC and XYZ they may go with the second alternate since it was similar or in the same field as the former principal).  

I've heard of scholarships and grants that at the end give a rank to all applicants, which would be really helpful in deciding whether to apply again or wait it out. Unfortunately, I think the Fulbright is too large and complex to send out a ranking of even just the alternates since there are so many variables to consider. :mellow:

Yeah that all makes sense. Damn shame 

3 hours ago, HBAGN said:

@awilliams CONGRATULATIONS on your grant!

I ended up using that number, too ... but haven't heard back (it can take 2-3 weeks, I think, for the medical forms to be processed). 

Thanks for your advice! (It's so nice to be in contact with everyone on here :) )

I used the same number! After waiting a little over 3 weeks, I was told by my regional contact that it could take significantly longer due to the high amount of medical clearance forms they are going through. I submitted March 17 and officially received clearance on April 18 (so about a month or so). I'm not sure which country you're waiting for, but mine is a non-commission country, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference at all.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, Airliepanda said:

Hello hello! Congratulations to those lucky ones who have been accepted! And good luck to those still waiting! I just wanted to repost the link to our Facebook group! It's a great place to find support, get free essay editors, get your questions answered, or just make the wait a little easier. Come join our active and growing community of almost 500 applicants, grantees, and alumni <3

facebook.com/fulbrightgrantapplicants

I'm not sure about anyone else, but this link doesn't seem to be working for me. It says "this page isn't available"

This link worked though: https://www.facebook.com/groups/fulbrightapplicants/

Same group?

Edited by blakec1988

16 hours ago, Dilemma1 said:

They do rank us in the first round. That is how they decide who to send up. And we are sent in a ranked list. But you're right that they choose based on similar projects. If one person is studying animal migration and drops out, and they have a chemist and animal studies person, they'd probs go with the animal studies. I do not think, however, that cost factors in as we all get the same grant allowance and discretionary fund. They also wouldn't replace a research person with an ETA.

1 hour ago, Horb said:

They do rank us in the first round. That is how they decide who to send up. And we are sent in a ranked list. But you're right that they choose based on similar projects. If one person is studying animal migration and drops out, and they have a chemist and animal studies person, they'd probs go with the animal studies. I do not think, however, that cost factors in as we all get the same grant allowance and discretionary fund. They also wouldn't replace a research person with an ETA.

This! Everyone in research and everyone in ETA get the same amount of funding (maybe also depends on the placement and cost of living where the person will be staying in, but I am pretty sure it is standardize. There may be differences between ETA and research, but not within the groups. Also, for the research funding it depends on the country, but I know the Fulbright grant is suppose to only cover monthly expenses (living expenses like rent, food, and transportation), medical insurance, and round trip tickets (I know there are sometimes a $500 allowance for research materials/books that they may provide but you would have to apply for it). I am doing an fMRI study so there is no way Fulbright could cover the $800/hr rate fMRI scan costs for the participants in the study I am conducting, on top of other expenses, my living stipend, medical insurance, and roundtrip flight. However my project was probably feasibly because my affiliate university is covering the costs for this through their own grant research money. I am sure ETA has a more traditional ranking than the research ones since the research projects may be more subjective based on what type of project it is and the specific need of the host country. 

On April 19, 2017 at 1:22 PM, soccer2017 said:

Turkey ETA cancelled 

Did they email you? I've been waiting on Turkey research and haven't gotten anything

Hey all! Congrats to awardees and best of luck to all alternates!

I've been awarded the Student Research Grant to India next year - specifically Delhi - and was wondering if there were any others on here? Would love to get a facebook group started! From what I understand there's quite a big group of research students and ETAs.

On 4/20/2017 at 6:18 PM, boatman said:

Did they email you? I've been waiting on Turkey research and haven't gotten anything

Hi there, FYI I received word today about my research grant to Turkey. They've stated that proposals to Istanbul are not gaurenteed, and have asked that I find a different affiliate / city to conduct my research. It is unclear to me whether or not they will revoke grants that insist on staying in Istanbul. 

18 hours ago, ACF said:

Hi there, FYI I received word today about my research grant to Turkey. They've stated that proposals to Istanbul are not gaurenteed, and have asked that I find a different affiliate / city to conduct my research. It is unclear to me whether or not they will revoke grants that insist on staying in Istanbul. 

First of all, Congratulations! That's a great question though. I was awarded to study in Ankara, so it's not a factor for me. Have you contacted your affiliate or the program reps in Istanbul? They might be able to provide some assurance that you will be relatively safe. I say "relatively" because no place in the world is truly safe. For what it's worth; I was in Istanbul in November and never felt unsafe. I walked all over, talked to a lot people, and never hid my nationality. Herkes çok sevgiliperverdi!