jenrd

Fulbright 2017-2018

Recommended Posts

On 9/9/2016 at 2:16 PM, JKay said:

Hi all,

So glad this forum exists, and hope everyone is having a smooth time with their application! I'm applying for a research grant to Lithuania. I just graduated undergrad in May so I'm applying through my alma matter for now. I've created my own project that's involving interviews with other people, and I'm confused about what an individual ethics review means. I have obtained a letter of affiliation and am under the impression that most obtain an IRB approval from the Lithuanian University before they arrive but after they submit the Fulbright application.

For the U.S., I tried to submit an IRB app  to my alma mater for review but they said it may not count sense I am no longer an employee or student there. The committee also suggested I apply at large and obtain one through the department of state? 

Is anyone doing research on humans/animals outside of a graduate program? How did you go about getting an ethics review? Hope this makes sense:)

Thanks guys!

Hi JKay. Did you find a response to your question? I had a similar one. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To UK fulbrighters from US:

Hi all! I have a visa question. For those of you applying for a UK visa from outside the US
, did any of you find it necessary to submit your Grant Authorization Form with an official letterhead and stamped by the Fulbright Commission? I have the GAF, but it will take some time to get it on an official letterhead. Don't have much of that. I am willing to get it done, but I was wondering what you all did. Appreciate the help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2017 at 10:23 PM, Sigwarz said:

To UK fulbrighters from US:

Hi all! I have a visa question. For those of you applying for a UK visa from outside the US
, did any of you find it necessary to submit your Grant Authorization Form with an official letterhead and stamped by the Fulbright Commission? I have the GAF, but it will take some time to get it on an official letterhead. Don't have much of that. I am willing to get it done, but I was wondering what you all did. Appreciate the help!

Hi Sigwarz! I'm planning to send the GAF in with my documents, but not on letterhead or with the Fulbright Commission's stamp. At least in my case, the funding from the Fulbright grant was listed in my CAS, and so my understanding is that sending along the GAF isn't strictly necessary, but I thought to include it just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, 
Do you guys still have access to your Fulbright app? I'm applying for a special ETA and it would be incredibly useful to be able to access my application, but can't seem to get it. 
I was given this link: https://apply.embark.com/student/fulbright/usa/29/but when I try to access the application, I receive this message: "This application is no longer current. To access the most recent version of this application, please go to  http://iie.embark.com/apply/usstudent. I don't get any further than that -- there's no account associated with the email that I used to apply last Fall, it looks like the two links are totally independent of each other. 
Any advice at all is welcome! 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, moderatedbliss said:

Hi all, 
Do you guys still have access to your Fulbright app? I'm applying for a special ETA and it would be incredibly useful to be able to access my application, but can't seem to get it. 
I was given this link: https://apply.embark.com/student/fulbright/usa/29/but when I try to access the application, I receive this message: "This application is no longer current. To access the most recent version of this application, please go to  http://iie.embark.com/apply/usstudent. I don't get any further than that -- there's no account associated with the email that I used to apply last Fall, it looks like the two links are totally independent of each other. 
Any advice at all is welcome! 
 

Did you apply at-large or through your school? Your school might have a record of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, moderatedbliss said:

at-large, unfortunately... 

Honestly, just email Fulbright what you posted here (about the links) and see what they say. This year, make sure you store multiple backups in multiple places.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2017 at 2:17 AM, inkstainedarm said:

Hi Sigwarz! I'm planning to send the GAF in with my documents, but not on letterhead or with the Fulbright Commission's stamp. At least in my case, the funding from the Fulbright grant was listed in my CAS, and so my understanding is that sending along the GAF isn't strictly necessary, but I thought to include it just in case.

Thaaanks! I just got my vignette. I ended up submitting the GAF with a letterhead but no stamp. Fulbright does not have an official stamp. This was fine. I chose the "better safe than sorry" route and included everything. Might as well have squeezed myself into that UPS envelope. :rolleyes:B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/07/2017 at 9:30 PM, Horb said:

Honestly, just email Fulbright what you posted here (about the links) and see what they say. This year, make sure you store multiple backups in multiple places.

Ended up getting a pdf! For anyone that runs into the same issue, email Embark and they can help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone,

I just published my first blog post that details my Fulbright ETA journey to Indonesia. I landed yesterday and launched my blog the same day too. Here is the link

 
I hope you enjoy! Don't forget to subscribe, like, comment, see photos of my adventure and provide feedback and suggestions. Also, do let me know what you want to hear about my experience! 
All the best!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone, 

Does anyone have any data/ guesstimates about the average age of Fulbright ETA'ers? I'm 24 (will be 25 at start of the Fulbright, and worry a wee bit about feeling old). Subjective info is absolutely welcome as well. Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2017 at 11:52 AM, moderatedbliss said:

Hey everyone, 

Does anyone have any data/ guesstimates about the average age of Fulbright ETA'ers? I'm 24 (will be 25 at start of the Fulbright, and worry a wee bit about feeling old). Subjective info is absolutely welcome as well. Thanks! 

I'm 25 and won a Fulbright. Age does not matter all. There are people in their 40s who win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Hello,

 

can you combine a Fulbright with another scholarship (i.e Vanier or Trudeau)?

Depends how much the award is and what it'll be used for. If it is used for the same things you're funding with a Fulbright, Fulbright will (most likely) alter your funding package. For example, if Fulbright was providing 1000 Euro per month for 10 months and another ward would offer you 1000 Euro, they might deduct the 1,000 from the 10,000 total they would pay you. But it depends on the amount and what it is used for. Also, note that they can rescind the Fulbright if they found out you got funding from another source and did not report it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/08/2017 at 10:58 PM, Horb said:

I'm 25 and won a Fulbright. Age does not matter all. There are people in their 40s who win.

But are there people in their 40's doing Fulbright ETA's? Can't help but feel like age-wise, there would be a fairly significant difference between research and ETA Fulbrights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, moderatedbliss said:

But are there people in their 40's doing Fulbright ETA's? Can't help but feel like age-wise, there would be a fairly significant difference between research and ETA Fulbrights. 

I'm sure there are, but it depends on country. Some places have age restrictions for ETAs. I guess my point is, if there isn't an age restriction, then it is fair game. You'll have to explain how this fits in with your life now. Why a 40 year old would want to do an ETA is probably different than why a 20 something would, but as long as you do that, you shouldn't be facing any discrimination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wishing everyone on their way out soon the best of luck as we all embark on this incredible opportunity!

I've been slowly going crazy these past few months because I've gotten practically no information from Fulbright. I wasn't able to attend PDO and I'm in a non-commission country (Cambodia) with only 2 people in the entire program. The average response time to my e-mails has largely been 3-4 weeks since the head of East Asia is in the middle of a transition period which has been difficult trying to secure a Fly America compliant flight among other inquiries etc. Was hoping to run a few questions by those in more developed programs:

1. When does the first installment of our grant usually enter our bank accounts? I don't depart till September 25th so I still have time, though to capitalize on cheap flights I purchased my plane ticket already and was really hoping for the money to come at least 1 month in advance but I'm growing worried that the money won't be in my account (I just came out of the Peace Corps and I'm all too familiar with missed/late payments so I'm hoping Fulbright runs a tighter ship).

2. If we have a medical emergency are we given access to the US Embassy doctor or are we largely left to whatever the local health institutions can provide?

3. Are we allowed to purchase vehicles and drive in country if we have an international drivers permit? I want to buy a motorcycle to cut down on transport costs. I just came out of the Peace Corps where we were inundated with all these rules and it seems like Fulbright is largely laissez-faire. 

4. How does vacation work? How many days are we entitled to?

5. It still isn't very clear to me what the structure of the program is (I'm US Student study/research). To date my main point of contact is the Embassy's Public Affairs Specialist however on the Fulbright website it provides the information for the Cultural Affairs Officer. Anybody have a little cheat sheet of who to contact for what?

I have an in-country half day orientation when I arrive so I'll have a lot of questions answered by then but based on everything that I've been told it appears the expectation of my program is for me to show up and figure everything out once I arrive. I'm perfectly fine with an unstructured program and actually prefer it; just wanted to compare with others and get some answers to these questions as I impatiently wait 4 more weeks to start!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

@jakem1023: These vary a bit from country to country, and hopefully you'll get an info packet soon with the specific rules you're required to follow, but I'll let you know what I know from my case on a Research grant to Japan.

1) Likely when you arrive in country. I received my first payment when I visited my local Fulbright commission on day one. They also arranged my plane flight (so they may reimburse you in your case?) After that, I received payments every two months in my local bank account. They will likely discuss the payment plan during your orientation.

2) If it's an emergency, you're going to want to go to the nearest doctor, and not the US Embassy. We do have health insurance through Fulbright that covers emergency care. For Japan, my commission had us also enroll in Japanese National Health Care, and I've used local clinics since arriving a year ago. 

3) Shouldn't be a problem. Just be sure to look up local insurance laws!

4) I think this is generally the case with most research grant countries, but in my case, I'm allowed three weeks outside of my host country during the period of the grant. They're not going to stay on top of you day-to-day, so if you want to take a "day off" and not study/research, no one is going to penalize you. But going outside of the country for more than the allowed time isn't allowed. (And your grant could be diminished accordingly!) 

Hope this helps a little bit! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2017 at 10:52 AM, moderatedbliss said:

Hey everyone, 

Does anyone have any data/ guesstimates about the average age of Fulbright ETA'ers? I'm 24 (will be 25 at start of the Fulbright, and worry a wee bit about feeling old). Subjective info is absolutely welcome as well. Thanks! 

Many of the older students are far more competitive than the younger students. (Provided the time between the two was productively spent by the older student/applicant. If someone is on the older range of the spectrum, knows what a Fulbright is and are in a place in life where they qualify to apply the time was probably well spent)

There are far fewer people above say 24-25 who are going to take time out of their lives to apply for or participate in a Fulbright, so despite being more qualified they tend to be drastically less likely to apply and so there are fewer of them in the pool to begin with. 

Most of the Fulbright recipients I have met (anecdotal but you said you don't mind) were your age when they received the Fulbright. You are probably in the average range, not well above it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2017 at 2:31 PM, moderatedbliss said:

But are there people in their 40's doing Fulbright ETA's? Can't help but feel like age-wise, there would be a fairly significant difference between research and ETA Fulbrights. 

There are people in their 40s who do ETAs. There were a couple posting on gradcafe other threads I have read who were life long language instructors and applied for and won ETAs. Others who changed careers later in life and applied and won ETA grants have also been on these boards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/08/2017 at 7:14 PM, UnawareInGeneral said:

Many of the older students are far more competitive than the younger students. (Provided the time between the two was productively spent by the older student/applicant. If someone is on the older range of the spectrum, knows what a Fulbright is and are in a place in life where they qualify to apply the time was probably well spent)

There are far fewer people above say 24-25 who are going to take time out of their lives to apply for or participate in a Fulbright, so despite being more qualified they tend to be drastically less likely to apply and so there are fewer of them in the pool to begin with. 

Most of the Fulbright recipients I have met (anecdotal but you said you don't mind) were your age when they received the Fulbright. You are probably in the average range, not well above it.

thanks a bunch for this -- was worried that the vast majority of ETA'ers would be 22, or so, and that the gap between 22 and 25 would be evident. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now