Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

10 hours ago, hank.img said:

Hey! I hope your interview went well! I can't help but to think I could have said some things better than I did now that I just had my interview... WELP good to know that someone else is on the same boat!

Thanks! It could have gone better, for sure. They were a little late in calling me so my nerves were on edge thinking I would have to reschedule / that some technical foul-up would ruin my chances. The interview itself was only 15 minutes so I can't even begin to tell what else they learned about me that my statements didn't already tell them but they were writing things down so hopefully those notes are good! :-P How was your interview?

It's nice to see someone else who applied for an ETA, everyone else so far have been research grants. 

@Jess2323 - Did you receive an interview request via e-mail? I'm not sure if it's a good sign or not! I'm worried that means my application is on the cusp of being rejected in the final round if they're requesting an interview. 

Edited by catsbloom

1 hour ago, catsbloom said:

@Jess2323 - Did you receive an interview request via e-mail? I'm not sure if it's a good sign or not! I'm worried that means my application is on the cusp of being rejected in the final round if they're requesting an interview. 

I didn't receive one - your email scares me too! Why didn't I receive one!?? 

But goodluck regardless! 

On 2/11/2017 at 1:52 PM, Horb said:

I just realized that I could find out my fate in 5 weeks if Germany does its normal third Wednesday of March. It seems so close and so far away...

Same here! My target country does third week of March. AHHHH I will be in Germany for the second week of March so hopefully I will be distracted. 

Hello people! Got my interview invite a couple days ago, and it's in 2 weeks! This is my 3rd time applying, but my first time interviewing, so I'm really nervous! Have any other UK semi-finalists had their interviews yet? If so, what kind of questions were you asked? Have a great weekend everyone! :) 

22 hours ago, indexes said:

Thanks! It could have gone better, for sure. They were a little late in calling me so my nerves were on edge thinking I would have to reschedule / that some technical foul-up would ruin my chances. The interview itself was only 15 minutes so I can't even begin to tell what else they learned about me that my statements didn't already tell them but they were writing things down so hopefully those notes are good! :-P How was your interview?

It's nice to see someone else who applied for an ETA, everyone else so far have been research grants. 

My interview was right on time and I remember sitting there counting down until their call. Mine was at 7:30am too... I had this pleasant short haired lady as the main interviewer and another lady plus a gentleman who were all present at my interview. Although I could have been more concise on more technical questions, I am hoping that had the chance to see my personality through my somewhat awkward attempts at making jokes :P (I made them laugh couple times!). Honestly though, I am hoping my background in biology could give me a huge boost haha. I'm also a pre-med student so I'm hoping that his opportunity can give me a chance to be useful in a different way during my gap year! 

12 minutes ago, hank.img said:

My interview was right on time and I remember sitting there counting down until their call. Mine was at 7:30am too... I had this pleasant short haired lady as the main interviewer and another lady plus a gentleman who were all present at my interview. Although I could have been more concise on more technical questions, I am hoping that had the chance to see my personality through my somewhat awkward attempts at making jokes :P (I made them laugh couple times!). Honestly though, I am hoping my background in biology could give me a huge boost haha. I'm also a pre-med student so I'm hoping that his opportunity can give me a chance to be useful in a different way during my gap year! 

Mine was at 5:30AM Pacific time (2:30 theirs). :wacko: The person they interviewed before me had computer issues I think, which made their interview last longer, but I always get superstitious when it comes to these things. Yeah, I think it's the same people for everyone that day (Wednesday)! That's awesome, laughter leaves a good impression. I was staring at the webcam to make eye contact so I couldn't see their faces, which in all honesty, probably helped me focus on what I was saying. I hope my interview was endearing if anything -- I am more of a writer than a speaker so hoping my statement carries more weight. 

Cool! I have degrees in Microbiology and Global Health but I hyped my minor in Geography (focusing on geopolitics) more in my interview because it revolved around why I wanted to go to Poland. There are good handful of current ETAs that have a STEM background (Bioengineering, Microbiology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Chemical and Biological Engineering, and two Mechanical Engineering graduates) so I think it's something they look for! :) 

@indexes and @hank.img when you were being interviewed by the Polish committee did something ever come up that they were completely unaware of but was clearly stated in your application? It happened during my interview at least twice. You'd think they would read the application beforehand.

1 hour ago, momo25 said:

Legit, have NOT gotten an interview invite and I'm a semi-finalist for research in the UK :((((((

Which school did you apply to? I haven't received mine either. However, talking to my FPA, this may not be a bad thing. 

30 minutes ago, Mossy.artist said:

@indexes and @hank.img when you were being interviewed by the Polish committee did something ever come up that they were completely unaware of but was clearly stated in your application? It happened during my interview at least twice. You'd think they would read the application beforehand.

Yeah, it threw me off, too. The stuff about how to engage the community, career goals, why Poland. These were all in the Fulbright app, either it be on the online application or the statements. I am beginning to think that at some level these interviews are just a chance to put a face to an application and interact with us a little. 

They do the screen until the February 8th and I would guess they are now in the process of selecting their candidates to send to the FFSB for final approval ("By March 3, 2017: In addition to entering Country Decisions in Embark, Posts and Commissions must email both the IIE and ECA Branch Offices with the Country Decision list (including Principal, Alternates, and Non-Selects): source here). 

3 minutes ago, indexes said:

Yeah, it threw me off, too. The stuff about how to engage the community, career goals, why Poland. These were all in the Fulbright app, either it be on the online application or the statements. I am beginning to think that at some level these interviews are just a chance to put a face to an application and interact with us a little. 

They do the screen until the February 8th and I would guess they are now in the process of selecting their candidates to send to the FFSB for final approval ("By March 3, 2017: In addition to entering Country Decisions in Embark, Posts and Commissions must email both the IIE and ECA Branch Offices with the Country Decision list (including Principal, Alternates, and Non-Selects): source here). 

Some of those questions make sense to me to ask, in case we want to elaborate on what we wrote or something. But I was actually born in Poland and I speak Polish. These are both things that are notable on my application but when both topics came up they were like, "Oh really!?". Seemed strange to me. 

2 minutes ago, Mossy.artist said:

Some of those questions make sense to me to ask, in case we want to elaborate on what we wrote or something. But I was actually born in Poland and I speak Polish. These are both things that are notable on my application but when both topics came up they were like, "Oh really!?". Seemed strange to me. 

Yeah, I get that but it felt like repeating stuff and I was in the mindset from the statements never to repeat myself. (Another case of me psyching myself out, I guess). 

Ugh, that is actually really scary then, to be honest, because if they just interviewed me without reading my statements then...I am pretty sure that I am a non-select -- my interview was pretty weak by itself. But! Since I write stream of consciousness and I am just remembering now, Justyna (I think that was the main interviewer's name) mentioned that I had traveled a fair bit which means she had to have read my application or my statement to know that so they must have at least skimmed them. 

6 minutes ago, indexes said:

Yeah, I get that but it felt like repeating stuff and I was in the mindset from the statements never to repeat myself. (Another case of me psyching myself out, I guess). 

Ugh, that is actually really scary then, to be honest, because if they just interviewed me without reading my statements then...I am pretty sure that I am a non-select -- my interview was pretty weak by itself. But! Since I write stream of consciousness and I am just remembering now, Justyna (I think that was the main interviewer's name) mentioned that I had traveled a fair bit which means she had to have read my application or my statement to know that so they must have at least skimmed them. 

We'll just have to wait to find out! :D Almost 1 month left! UGH!!

10 hours ago, indexes said:

Yeah that really was weird. They were all surprised to know my responses that were very similar to what I wrote on my application. I constantly pointed out "as you may have read on my application," but I feel like they really haven't looked that much into what our objectives were compared to who we are. It makes sense that they were trying to put a face on each of our application but I just want to know how much weight our interviews have on the final selection! Now that we are down to like ~30 applicants who are all well qualified, maybe they were just trying to see if you have the personality that they were looking for. 

On 2/11/2017 at 1:52 PM, Horb said:

I just realized that I could find out my fate in 5 weeks if Germany does its normal third Wednesday of March. It seems so close and so far away...

Man, I guess we are getting that close aren't we! I'm ETA for Germany as well and have seen you posting on here before; good luck to the both of us I suppose! I remember calling my parents after I got my semi-finalist status last month, and said "Yah I guess I'll let you know in about two months". It's crazy that 4 weeks have already zoomed by.

9 hours ago, hank.img said:

Yeah that really was weird. They were all surprised to know my responses that were very similar to what I wrote on my application. I constantly pointed out "as you may have read on my application," but I feel like they really haven't looked that much into what our objectives were compared to who we are. It makes sense that they were trying to put a face on each of our application but I just want to know how much weight our interviews have on the final selection! Now that we are down to like ~30 applicants who are all well qualified, maybe they were just trying to see if you have the personality that they were looking for. 

I have no clue how they responded to my answers, I could only see them nodding along and writing things down. My essays were who I was as a person so I really hope they read them! That could be it, not sure how much personality they could get from a 15 minute interview though. (I dunno why that seems so short to me. I guess I am used to 30 - 45 minute interviews normally!)

1 hour ago, Horb said:

SO....how is everyone doing? What have you been doing to pass the time? I'm studying for oral examinations, which is not fun, but distracting, so useful.

Yikes! I try not to think about it, but I am not very successful! There are some amazing things happening in politics (understatement!) which are creating myriad hoops and puzzles for me to work out in my social services work and that is thankfully taking a lot of time.

If anyone has a great way to avoid thinking about how different my life could be in a few short months I would love some tips. :)

1 hour ago, Horb said:

SO....how is everyone doing? What have you been doing to pass the time? I'm studying for oral examinations, which is not fun, but distracting, so useful.

I am hanging in there! Yesterday I checked my passport status application and I was relieved to know I will be getting it next week (phew)! Finalizing plans for my trip to Germany and listening to music on my Spotify seems to help me. I am also working on my backup dissertation project, which means if I don't get the Fulbright I will at least be ready to propose a current study I have been working on this past year. I am also busy with teaching and TAing and squeezing in workout time. Next week we have graduate student candidates coming in and I will be hosting one. So I am doing okay in terms of keeping busy. However, when I have little bouts of free time that's when I start to kinda freak out and come to the message board :P

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 9:09 AM, indexes said:

So I was reading this the other day too and maybe im just not well acquainted with the admissions process. But if all countries have their selections due on the same day, why do they have such different final notification dates? Is it just reflective of relative bureaucracy speed in whatever country? What is this mythical FFSB doing that pushes notification for countries like morocco well into April?