Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

14 minutes ago, catsbloom said:

#Fulbrightfail of the day - I thought my interview was at 8:45am, but it's really at 9:45am. I must have converted the time difference wrong.

At least you didn't think it was at 9.45am and find out it was at 8.45am!

1 hour ago, Horb said:

At least you didn't think it was at 9.45am and find out it was at 8.45am!

True!

@Jess2323 -  I did ask about notification dates and the people interviewing me thought responses will go out at the end of March. Based on the last few notification dates, Bulgaria seems to notify the second week of March. Perhaps things are delayed in general this year? 

1 hour ago, catsbloom said:

True!

@Jess2323 -  I did ask about notification dates and the people interviewing me thought responses will go out at the end of March. Based on the last few notification dates, Bulgaria seems to notify the second week of March. Perhaps things are delayed in general this year? 

Interesting on the notification point. Hmmm.

I hope it went well! What types of questions did they ask?

2 hours ago, catsbloom said:

True!

I hope it isn't a general thing. I can imagine it being country specific because of how it works, but idk.

1 hour ago, edon16 said:

Interesting on the notification point. Hmmm.

I hope it went well! What types of questions did they ask?

They asked me 4-5 questions. First they asked why I chose Bulgaria. They also asked me about my preference for a small town or larger city. I was told many of the placements are in smaller towns. My background is in education so they asked me about my general experience in teaching, and how I felt about teaching teenagers. My master's degree is in childhood education. The last thing they asked about was my host community engagement project. I felt like my answer to that prompt was the weakest. Afterward, they asked me whether I had any questions about the program!

2 hours ago, catsbloom said:

True!

Haha thanks, hope it went well! 

At this point I am almost happy to hear they aren't coming out soon. When the first notification came out I felt like I couldn't breathe. I am always looking ahead instead of just enjoying the moment -- it's my senior year in beautiful southern California (if we get to go to Bulgaria I will definitely miss this weather)! 

1 minute ago, catsbloom said:

They asked me 4-5 questions. First they asked why I chose Bulgaria. They also asked me about my preference for a small town or larger city. I was told many of the placements are in smaller towns. My background is in education so they asked me about my general experience in teaching, and how I felt about teaching teenagers. My master's degree is in childhood education. The last thing they asked about was my host community engagement project. I felt like my answer to that prompt was the weakest. Afterward, they asked me whether I had any questions about the program!

That all sounds really good!

41 minutes ago, Jess2323 said:

@catsbloom Do you have experience teaching english abroad?

No, but I have worked as a para for a few years in special education. I am also completing my master's degree in education so I have completed field work as well as student teaching requirements for my program. That may be why they asked me since I am currently in the field of education. 

On 2/22/2017 at 7:25 AM, Horb said:

Did they tell you about it in an email? Or via interview that it'd be later?

I heard about it at the very end of my interview - they let me know that they would be making a decision in 2 weeks, but that the notification would be delayed until April. There wasn't a specific reason given as to why.

2 minutes ago, Paradoxin756 said:

I heard about it at the very end of my interview - they let me know that they would be making a decision in 2 weeks, but that the notification would be delayed until April. There wasn't a specific reason given as to why.

Thanks for letting us know! I hope something changes and it happens sooner! I know they make the decision, get it approved by host country, then get it approved by the Fulbright Department in the US (Under the Bureau of Something or Other). So there are a few reasons why it could be delayed. 

56 minutes ago, Paradoxin756 said:

Is this referring to a specific country or all Fulbrights? I hope not! D: I'm putting off so many big decisions...

Last year, I got an email about my alternate status for Italy research award March 11th. All Italy people were notified that day. If things go similarly this year, I'd expect people to start hearing back in the next couple weeks, but if all notifications are delayed until April, that would be very . . . unfortunate.

Edited by lyonessrampant

5 hours ago, Dilemma1 said:

I received an invitation to interview this morning at 7:40am CT for the UK!  It's going to be a Skype interview on March 3.  Fellow UK applicants that have been interviewed: was your interview over Skype? 

Congrats on the interview!! Hope it goes well! And I haven't had mine yet, but mine will be over Skype too.

6 hours ago, inkstainedarm said:

Congrats on the interview!! Hope it goes well! And I haven't had mine yet, but mine will be over Skype too.

Thanks! :) The Skype interview is going to be interesting.  I've done a casual interview via Skype but never anything serious.  I'm planning on practicing to make sure the lighting and audio will be good.  I wish you the best of luck!!   You're going to rock it! 

On 2/23/2017 at 7:32 AM, Dilemma1 said:

I received an invitation to interview this morning at 7:40am CT for the UK!  It's going to be a Skype interview on March 3.  Fellow UK applicants that have been interviewed: was your interview over Skype? 

On 2/23/2017 at 1:21 PM, inkstainedarm said:

Congrats to you both! This is my 3rd year applying for a UK Partnership Award, and this is the first year I had an interview, so I was equal parts petrified and excited. My interview was over Skype and lasted about 20 minutes. I was at work and actually had to do it from my car, but they were really nice and understanding about it. :) I wish you both all the best of luck! 

So I know there's speculation and it COULD be only certain countries and it COULD be all of them, but what's everyone's gut feelings about delays in answers this year? Do we think they're all going to be late? Or do people have faith? 

I feel like I'm a kid waiting for my birthday with multiple grad answers, and Fulbright coming up. But more like, a kid waiting for a birthday except no one remembers exactly when that birthday is...

2 hours ago, BeeKayCee said:

So I know there's speculation and it COULD be only certain countries and it COULD be all of them, but what's everyone's gut feelings about delays in answers this year? Do we think they're all going to be late? Or do people have faith? 

I feel like I'm a kid waiting for my birthday with multiple grad answers, and Fulbright coming up. But more like, a kid waiting for a birthday except no one remembers exactly when that birthday is...

I think it will be hard to tell if it is late. So, Germany typically notifies mid march, but they've done late march and early april before, so I won't know if it is "late" unless it comes out mid-April, which has NEVER happened before. *knocks on all types of wood* 

This year of all years, I think we might have to worry most about delays on the U.S. end. I've only done some quick Googling on this, but the State Department's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, which oversees/rubber-stamps the Fulbright program, appears to still be severely understaffed. Their website on 'senior leadership' lists only one confirmed 'Deputy Assistant Secretary for Policy,' and the rest of the positions which are currently filled are all 'Acting' Deputy Assistants. (Marian Craven, who is the only senior staff member currently listed for Academic Programs, is 'Acting.') The head of the Bureau is a Senate-confirmed position, and I can't find any recent news suggesting that anyone has even been nominated for the post yet. Evan Ryan, the previous Assistant Secretary/head of the Bureau, left with the Obama administration. Anyone else have any more rigorous info?

I suppose the one small upside is that there would be a huge uproar in many circles if the Trump administration actually endangered this year's programs with their delays/incompetence - so I doubt there would be a catastrophic failure. They'd be able to get someone through quickly enough if they tried, I'm guessing.

Edited by AKACaz

31 minutes ago, AKACaz said:

This year of all years, I think we might have to worry most about delays on the U.S. end. I've only done some quick Googling on this, but the State Department's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, which oversees/rubber-stamps the Fulbright program, appears to still be severely understaffed. Their website on 'senior leadership' lists only one confirmed 'Deputy Assistant Secretary for Policy,' and the rest of the positions which are currently filled are all 'Acting' Deputy Assistants. (Marian Craven, who is the only senior staff member currently listed for Academic Programs, is 'Acting.') The head of the Bureau is a Senate-confirmed position, and I can't find any recent news suggesting that anyone has even been nominated for the post yet. Evan Ryan, the previous Assistant Secretary/head of the Bureau, left with the Obama administration. Anyone else have any more rigorous info?

I suppose the one small upside is that there would be a huge uproar in many circles if the Trump administration actually endangered this year's programs with their delays/incompetence - so I doubt there would be a catastrophic failure. They'd be able to get someone through quickly enough if they tried, I'm guessing.

Honestly, I highly doubt the head of the BoECA even looks at these. It is most likely lower-level staff positions, esp. considering how many applications there are, and I imagine those are staffed. 

17 minutes ago, Horb said:

Honestly, I highly doubt the head of the BoECA even looks at these. It is most likely lower-level staff positions, esp. considering how many applications there are, and I imagine those are staffed. 

No doubt you're right - but if you go down a level to the "Academic Programs" desk which more specifically oversees Fulbright, Marian Craven is also not yet confirmed in her job (or whatever 'Acting' means). While the State Department approval of finalists may not come from the top of the Bureau, it probably doesn't come from the bottom, either.

Edited by AKACaz