Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

For the transcripts have they already notified applicants whether or not they received them? If I haven't heard back about a transcript yet, is it safe to assume I do not need to turn anything in again?

27 minutes ago, hobakie said:

For the transcripts have they already notified applicants whether or not they received them? If I haven't heard back about a transcript yet, is it safe to assume I do not need to turn anything in again?

I assume they would have by now, as the deadline was the 21st.

1 hour ago, Vegan Burrito said:

Do you all think it would be a bad idea to email the Fulbright Commission in my host country (which has a very large ETA program) to ask when the results are coming out? It would just be so helpful for me to know whether it's this month, next month, for planning purposes.

I wouldn't recommend it. They probably don't know themselves (things could take forever) and I bet they get annoyed with that type of email (that said, it probably wouldn't impact the results, so....).

20 hours ago, Horb said:

OMG. I've had that since January. Also, I must say, the [NS] subject line is so cruel. I honestly wish they had a plain subject line so that I didn't immediately sob when I got my rejection a few years ago. This year, there shall still be tearsmaybe of joy but I'm more prepared as I've set every device to ring a specific tone but not show the message. However, I'm now getting terrorized by the wind chime noise on other's apple phones...such is life.

@Horb exactly! This is my second time applying and first time as a semi-finalist. I am worried my chances as a finalist dwindled due to the current social political  climate out there and I am getting awfully anxious about it ?. Tomorrow I am hearing the results of another internal fellowship I applied and their proposal was due last week! I am also putting on hold all these other opportunities which is pretty nerve wrecking for me. According to my calculations just three more weeks for my host country based on their notifications in previous years. I am just worried this year there will be a delay due to the new administration and changes to the dept. of state.

1 minute ago, ibette said:

@Horb exactly! This is my second time applying and first time as a semi-finalist. I am worried my chances as a finalist dwindled due to the current social political  climate out there and I am getting awfully anxious about it ?. Tomorrow I am hearing the results of another internal fellowship I applied and their proposal was due last week! I am also putting on hold all these other opportunities which is pretty nerve wrecking for me. According to my calculations just three more weeks for my host country based on their notifications in previous years. I am just worried this year there will be a delay due to the new administration and changes to the dept. of state.

Yeah I believe there may be a delay for Fulbright as well. For CLS another state department run program we were told another 2 weeks which is the latest in the programs history (if it really is two weeks later). Typically we would have heard back last week. I would think if they are behind then Fulbright would be no different, but its just my guess. 

28 minutes ago, ibette said:

I mean, part of me isn't that worried because the initial notifications came out on time. I get that that was technically under President Obama, but I doubt that much changed in the grand scheme of things when he left (I'm sure Fulbright wasn't President Trump's first program to target). So I'm hopeful that we will hear soon and I'm also lucky that I don't have many decisions I would need to make by May (other than letting my boss know they need to hire someone else, but she is AMAZINGateverythingever and is basically going with the flow. 

2 hours ago, Horb said:

I started a blog to basically blog about my Fulbright feels and I must say, it is helping with the stress. I haven't been mentioning to too many of friends my thoughts as march comes along, primarily because I don't want to be needy. Like...no one gets this until they do it. 

So I recommend blogging or even just writing in a journal for those who have anxiety or just need a space to vent. 

Oh that is awesome! Can you share your blog? If you don't mind :) Would love to read as I think others would

2 hours ago, hobakie said:

They specifically said in the email I got that they won't notify you if they do receive the transcripts, only if you get chosen and they didn't receive them (they'll tell you they still need them).

On 2/28/2017 at 7:41 AM, Vegan Burrito said:

Do you all think it would be a bad idea to email the Fulbright Commission in my host country (which has a very large ETA program) to ask when the results are coming out? It would just be so helpful for me to know whether it's this month, next month, for planning purposes.

I know we are all busting at the seems to know - but in the off chance that this could make you look bad - don't do it!

Yes, happy March! Even my kids are starting to want me to check my email! Sheesh- Hungary notifies as early as 11 March and as late as April 12!!! Please oh please let it be in March! 

Looks like a lot of us will hear in the third week! Wahoo! Now to get through mud season...

On 2/21/2017 at 9:53 AM, edon16 said:

Hi! I have not received word about an interview, but I'm strangely calm - somehow. In this situation and for me, I feel my worrying is not energy well spent, but lolololol I still check this forum and my inbox/spam on the regular. It's my understanding pretty much everyone received an interview last year, so maybe Bulgaria is smoothing out the wrinkles in their process and not attempting to interview all the recommended applicants. I'm trying not to read too much into what an interview means or doesn't mean. Though I've had moments of self-doubt, my gratitude to be in this position continues to outshine any anxiety and worry.

I'm sending out good vibes into the universe so that all of us may be rewarded for our hard work! I don't know about @tommec, but good luck with your interview, @catsbloom! I'd love to hear how it goes.

My fellow Bulgaria Fulbright friends @Jess2323 @catsbloom @edon16... so I emailed the Bulgarian Fulbright program officer a few weeks ago and she told me:

"This year, we will not conduct interviews with the graduate study grant semi-finalists. We are currently in the selection process, and we will inform IIE of our decision by mid-March, so you should receive a notification from them by the end of March."

I am assuming that this notification timeline will be the same for both ETAs and graduate study awards. Either way I WANT TO KNOW ALREADY!!! I have to respond to MPH program decisions by mid-April. I am watching too much Netflix and just binged Sense8 season one in three days and but then found out season 2 does not come out until May! SO MUCH WAITING 

40 minutes ago, tommec said:

My fellow Bulgaria Fulbright friends @Jess2323 @catsbloom @edon16... so I emailed the Bulgarian Fulbright program officer a few weeks ago and she told me:

"This year, we will not conduct interviews with the graduate study grant semi-finalists. We are currently in the selection process, and we will inform IIE of our decision by mid-March, so you should receive a notification from them by the end of March."

I am assuming that this notification timeline will be the same for both ETAs and graduate study awards. Either way I WANT TO KNOW ALREADY!!! I have to respond to MPH program decisions by mid-April. I am watching too much Netflix and just binged Sense8 season one in three days and but then found out season 2 does not come out until May! SO MUCH WAITING 

Thanks for the info! When I asked during my ETA interview they told me that IIE will notify us in late March. It sounds like the timeline has not changed. Definitely ready to get an answer! 

4 hours ago, thepictureisstill said:

I got two residency rejections today. hoping this isn't setting the quo for the month of march  ? Good luck everyone!

Bummer! Maybe its just all of your good luck has been absorbed into the Fulbright ?

On 3/1/2017 at 2:34 PM, milliedaisy said:

Any people not hearing until April that I can commiserate with? So stressed :(

Me! I'm a semi-finalist ETA in Mongolia, and according to the data sheet, they don't give their answers until late April. Maybe we'll be surprised this year?