Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

27 minutes ago, UWI17 said:

Hey All!

Is timing about the same as it was for the Semi-finalists? Should I expect the afternoon or has it varied from year to year?

-C

9 minutes ago, Dilemma1 said:

It varies greatly between awards.  Last year I found out in the morning and from the spreadsheet it seems like afternoons are just as common.  It's a hard thing to prepare for since there's no way of knowing what day the announcements for each country will happen!

I was also under the impression that it would not be predictable as to when during the day to expect a notification. I think I read on the spreadsheet that someone found out close to 9:00PM one year. I'm eager to see when the early announcements start rolling out - we might have a better idea of any delay if there is one once we start seeing the initial dates.

27 minutes ago, Paradoxin756 said:

I was also under the impression that it would not be predictable as to when during the day to expect a notification. I think I read on the spreadsheet that someone found out close to 9:00PM one year. I'm eager to see when the early announcements start rolling out - we might have a better idea of any delay if there is one once we start seeing the initial dates.

I agree! The first announcements are definitely going to help give us a better idea of if there are any delays.  The last four years (2013-2016) the first announcement dates were March 3 (2016) and March 4 (2013-2015).  The four years before that (2009-2012) were between March 8 and March 13.  So the last four years of being early March seems to just be a recent thing.  Personally, I would find it strange if absolutely no one has heard anything before the 20th.  I'm really grateful that this forum exists and that we have access to several years of other applicants information.  It's making the wait much more tolerable! 

1 minute ago, Dilemma1 said:

I agree! The first announcements are definitely going to help give us a better idea of if there are any delays.  The last four years (2013-2016) the first announcement dates were March 3 (2016) and March 4 (2013-2015).  The four years before that (2009-2012) were between March 8 and March 13.  So the last four years of being early March seems to just be a recent thing.  Personally, I would find it strange if absolutely no one has heard anything before the 20th.  I'm really grateful that this forum exists and that we have access to several years of other applicants information.  It's making the wait much more tolerable! 

I think at some of the earlier dates they were still notifying via snail-mail too, so the later dates definitely make sense there. I'm thinking if we don't hear this week, it will definitely roll in en masse or in quick succession next week. I agree - this forum has been a life saver for me, I'd love to know either way so I can start seriously diving into job applications for when I graduate!

29 minutes ago, Dilemma1 said:

Honestly, if I don't hear by March 31st, I'm emailing to ask for an update. I know it may bug them, but I have to tell my program pretty soon if I'll be here to teach next year and having a better estimate than "before May" would help. 

Poland has been notorious for notifying on March 15. I think just one year it came out on the 28th and the year before it was the 21st?

I'm super glad my school district is on spring break next week (I'm a substitute teacher). That way I have time to process all the feels regardless of what my email says.:blink:

23 minutes ago, Paradoxin756 said:

I think at some of the earlier dates they were still notifying via snail-mail too, so the later dates definitely make sense there. I'm thinking if we don't hear this week, it will definitely roll in en masse or in quick succession next week. I agree - this forum has been a life saver for me, I'd love to know either way so I can start seriously diving into job applications for when I graduate!

That's right! I forgot about the snail mail!  Finding out in the subject line (P/A/NS) is almost as bad as finding out by the shape of the envelope!  I would probably be driving my parents crazy by now pestering them about any mail that's arrived :D  I'm rather lucky because there are a few other scholarships I can apply for that will help me pursue my program regardless of the Fulbright.  Don't get me wrong it would be an absolute DREAM to be a Fulbright Scholar, but I don't think I can put everything on hold again.  Good luck with your applications! Job applications can be so stressful :( 

31 minutes ago, Horb said:

Honestly, if I don't hear by March 31st, I'm emailing to ask for an update. I know it may bug them, but I have to tell my program pretty soon if I'll be here to teach next year and having a better estimate than "before May" would help. 

I think that would be completely reasonable. This time of the year a lot of decisions are being made between jobs, internships, scholarships, etc.  They would certainly be understanding of the pressure you're under to make a decision.

3 minutes ago, Dilemma1 said:

I think that would be completely reasonable. This time of the year a lot of decisions are being made between jobs, internships, scholarships, etc.  They would certainly be understanding of the pressure you're under to make a decision.

Thanks! I'm definitely going to use the most apologetic language possible, because I'm sure they are dealing with 800 of these emails, but I'm already pushing the deadline to withdraw now and even though my program is understanding, it can only extend so far.

Hey all,

So I was wondering if anyone knows how long you have to accept/deny a Fulbright offer once they make it to you? Obviously, the Fulbright ETA is definitely my first choice dream right now if I'm awarded the opportunity. UNFORTUNATELY there are some medical things going on in my life and with my family that might have an impact on my ability to go, though I won't know for sure until I see how things play out in the next month or two. 

Any thoughts on how soon they need a decision after an offer?

Thanks guys, and best of luck as the time draws nearer!

8 minutes ago, Dash123 said:

Hey all,

So I was wondering if anyone knows how long you have to accept/deny a Fulbright offer once they make it to you? Obviously, the Fulbright ETA is definitely my first choice dream right now if I'm awarded the opportunity. UNFORTUNATELY there are some medical things going on in my life and with my family that might have an impact on my ability to go, though I won't know for sure until I see how things play out in the next month or two. 

I think you have two weeks but people withdraw after that.

22 minutes ago, lyonessrampant said:

IT HAS BEGUN!!!!

Where did you see Austria @Horb? Super exciting! I've just been waiting, like all of us, for someone-ANYONE- to get notified so we can know that this is really and finally going to happen!

Thanks for keeping us informed :) 

I'm so glad I was checking this forum. Someone was talking about a "request for transcripts" email in the spam filter, so I became a little paranoid and inquired ... turns out I never got the email and my transcripts weren't in :( I just sent my undergrad electronically and overnighted my graduate, but I'm quite nervous because this is WAY past the February 21st deadline. Taiwan hasn't nominated yet so I should be fine, but does anyone have more insight into a situation like this?

1 hour ago, Dash123 said:

Hey all,

I can't find an official date to notify by from my grant last year, but they asked for you to decide as soon as possible. They also ask for you to complete your medical clearance within six weeks. Once you get your notification from Fulbright, I'd contact them to let them know you need a bit of time to decide. People do pull out at various times once the acceptances go out, so if circumstances change you can always pull out. (This is why they choose alternates!)

I hope circumstances work out for you and you'll be able to go!

2 hours ago, LibbyCreek said:

Where did you see Austria @Horb? Super exciting! I've just been waiting, like all of us, for someone-ANYONE- to get notified so we can know that this is really and finally going to happen!

Thanks for keeping us informed :) 

A friend was notified!

I think most of the countries have made their pick and now it's mostly up to U.S. to approve the list... I JUST WANT THE RESULT!

@AnnMarie I am BEYOND paranoid about Poland notification... I just want to set my heart to rest after hearing the final notification regardless of the result. I also feel like it'd be worse to have such a lenient schedule during the notification week because you would be constantly thinking about the notification.

4 hours ago, Dilemma1 said:

That's right! I forgot about the snail mail!  Finding out in the subject line (P/A/NS) is almost as bad as finding out by the shape of the envelope!  I would probably be driving my parents crazy by now pestering them about any mail that's arrived :D  I'm rather lucky because there are a few other scholarships I can apply for that will help me pursue my program regardless of the Fulbright.  Don't get me wrong it would be an absolute DREAM to be a Fulbright Scholar, but I don't think I can put everything on hold again.  Good luck with your applications! Job applications can be so stressful :( 

The folly of email notifications is that you're likely to have access to the internet 24/7 so the obsession to refresh your inbox doesn't go away. Wishing the best outcome for the both of us, and good luck on your other scholarship pursuits!

Hey all,

First time posting (though I've read through the entirety of this year and last year's postings in the past couple days), but I'm a current first-time applicant and semi-finalist for a UK Partnership Research/Study award at the Royal Veterinary College. I've been driving myself crazy the past week or so having not heard any news about an interview invitation (and also compulsively checking spam filters to ensure I didn't miss anything!) and watching the days slowly creep by...now that some countries' applicants seem to be hearing back, has anyone from the UK still not been invited to interview? The award I applied for is literally brand new this year, so I'm wondering if that might have something to do with the relative radio silence about communicating with a semi-finalist for this specific award. 

Best of luck to everyone, by the way, and congrats to those starting to hear back!

Edited by elbarton

3 hours ago, Dash123 said:

Hey all,

Czech Republic right? Me too. I don't know anything about the application process because this is my first time applying but I wanted to say I hope everything ends up okay with you and your family! 

1 hour ago, srhkdr said:

Czech Republic right? Me too. I don't know anything about the application process because this is my first time applying but I wanted to say I hope everything ends up okay with you and your family! 

Thanks pal! Yes, I'm hoping it will sort itself out soon and everything will work out. Sadly, I haven't exactly had the time to start learning Czech with everything going on. Have you?

Fingers crossed for us both! :)