Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

9 hours ago, kfm said:

Are any arts applicants having trouble with the Embark supplementary materials upload portal? When I initially submitted on Wednesday October 5th it seemed to go through, but I received an email saying that it had an issue and whenever I try to resubmit now, I get a connectivity error (attached screenshot) even though I have tested different internet connections and different browsers, and made sure that everything I was entering/uploading met all the length/size requirements. I've contacted Embark tech support but so far they haven't solved it (mostly just asked if javascript is enabled, which it is). Is anyone else having this issue/know what it is/how to fix it? I'm going crazy since there is no extension or anything for tech issues.

Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 8.23.16 AM.png

Ahh this is scary ! I had submitted mine already but now I am going to double check. In general, has anyone had any luck with Fulbright un-submitting an application before the deadline I don't have an FPA ? After I submitted I realized there were changes I wanted to make and  now I'm freaking out a bit in my head.  :(

Also thanks to Horb and Satori for the support ! 

13 hours ago, Photogeographic said:

Ahh this is scary ! I had submitted mine already but now I am going to double check. In general, has anyone had any luck with Fulbright un-submitting an application before the deadline I don't have an FPA ? After I submitted I realized there were changes I wanted to make and  now I'm freaking out a bit in my head.  :(

From my understanding, they will not release the application. I can't remember where, but I got an email about it. Still, I would reach out, though it is a weekend and a holiday on Monday, so you might not hear back right away.

On 10/8/2016 at 6:02 PM, Photogeographic said:

I'm not sure if this would apply to the primary app, and not sure if it was only because of the server issue, but embark tech support did help me with un/resubmitting the supplementary materials

Hey all! 

I just found out about these while googling basically "what do I do now I feel empty since I don't need to do any more edits." I turned in my study/research grant for New Zealand a few days ago. Good luck to everyone! 

Submitted mine earlier today! The panicking didn't really set in before because I had classes right after I submitted but now that im not doing anything this weird panicky yet relieved feeling has taken over??

Finally submitted my application today, too! I had wanted to submit last night, and had a complete freak out when I looked at the specific transcript rules (the website said unofficial transcript on one page, and official transcript on another). The poor guy at the registrar who I talked to this morning at 8 AM ?? I'm extremely glad that everything is done and submitted... by the time they get back to us, I may have forgotten about it!

6 minutes ago, cardinalowl said:

Finally submitted my application today, too! I had wanted to submit last night, and had a complete freak out when I looked at the specific transcript rules (the website said unofficial transcript on one page, and official transcript on another). The poor guy at the registrar who I talked to this morning at 8 AM ?? I'm extremely glad that everything is done and submitted... by the time they get back to us, I may have forgotten about it!

Which city in China did you apply to? Or are you doing Taiwan ETA or research?

1 hour ago, hobakie said:

Which city in China did you apply to? Or are you doing Taiwan ETA or research?

Beijing, unfortunately. I know they recommend that you apply to smaller cities, but the contact/affiliation I had happens to be a professor in Beijing so what can you do? I am really excited, though – I think that the rest of my application comes together well so I hope it's enough to jump over that hurdle. What about you?

37 minutes ago, cardinalowl said:

Beijing, unfortunately. I know they recommend that you apply to smaller cities, but the contact/affiliation I had happens to be a professor in Beijing so what can you do? I am really excited, though – I think that the rest of my application comes together well so I hope it's enough to jump over that hurdle. What about you?

I applied to Guangzhou and will hopefully be at SYSU. If you don't mind me asking what school were you at in Beijing? I was there all of last semester for the first time. It was cool but not really my kind of city??

32 minutes ago, hobakie said:

I applied to Guangzhou and will hopefully be at SYSU. If you don't mind me asking what school were you at in Beijing? I was there all of last semester for the first time. It was cool but not really my kind of city??

Good luck! I have family from Guangzhou :) The affiliation would be with Peking University. And I know – I've never really been in the big cities for too long (most of my family is from more rural areas) so it would definitely be an interesting experience.

Wow, can't believe I am back in here. I am a second time applicant (first time was for the 2014-2015 cycle). Same country, same host institution, and similar project. Just submitted today and it has been kind of a roller coaster of emotions already (I learned this morning I became ABD in my PhD program and a few hours later I submitted my Fulbright project). 

Now the waiting game begins. :lol:

Also, are we still using the google excel sheet? 

Hi all! I have a question about the deadline for Letters of Reference. I noticed there are conflicting deadlines posted on the Embark application. On the "home" page, it says that the applicant needs to submit the application by 5 PM today, but it says that letters of reference need to be submitted by midnight today. However, on other pages it says everything, including supporting documents must be submitted by 5pm today.

Has anyone confirmed whether Reference Letters can be submitted past 5 PM today (if they are submitted by midnight)?

1 hour ago, ohah said:

Hi all! I have a question about the deadline for Letters of Reference. I noticed there are conflicting deadlines posted on the Embark application. On the "home" page, it says that the applicant needs to submit the application by 5 PM today, but it says that letters of reference need to be submitted by midnight today. However, on other pages it says everything, including supporting documents must be submitted by 5pm today.

Has anyone confirmed whether Reference Letters can be submitted past 5 PM today (if they are submitted by midnight)?

References are due at midnight tonight. Supporting documents talks about the upload documents (transcripts, statements, affiliation letters, etc.) in the Embark application that are submitted together. Reference Letters don't fall onto those categories. Reference Letters are uploaded through a different Embark Log-in portal by your recommender and they have until midnight ET to submit those. 

5 hours ago, ibette said:

Wow, can't believe I am back in here. I am a second time applicant (first time was for the 2014-2015 cycle). Same country, same host institution, and similar project. Just submitted today and it has been kind of a roller coaster of emotions already (I learned this morning I became ABD in my PhD program and a few hours later I submitted my Fulbright project). 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AlU2xDiiVhQjK3quPy6qXJuhgXYghzzG8L4YNT0unX0/edit?pli=1#gid=929221519

I'm not sure but we can probably start? theres the link to the doc but honestly people are likely still getting things situated or dealing with the submitting high so itll probs be a while :lol:

On 10/11/2016 at 2:50 PM, ibette said:

20 hours ago, hobakie said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AlU2xDiiVhQjK3quPy6qXJuhgXYghzzG8L4YNT0unX0/edit?pli=1#gid=929221519

I'm not sure but we can probably start? theres the link to the doc but honestly people are likely still getting things situated or dealing with the submitting high so itll probs be a while :lol:

Personally, I think the spread sheet is an awesome resource. Notifications won't be sent out for a long time though.

Hey, I guess Im a few months late but I just finished applying to Fulbright ETA position, and Im really nervous! I did not know the extent of how competitive this was! As a Gilman scholar alumni, I believed that it would be a similar process! I feel that I worked hard on my app and that I made numerous revisions to my personal statement as well as my statement of grant purpose. I guess Im a bit unconfident, I don't know I have a lot of anxiety lol. 

After I submitted I found a million things I wish I would have changed and felt like I made some kind of make or break mistakes. But then after seeing this Fulbright typo ... I have a little new found hope ! HA ! 

Congrats to everyone who submitted. Now we can all go crazy together while we wait for anuary to role around. 

Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 5.37.08 AM.png

Edited by Photogeographic

Hi all,

I recently applied at large to the Fulbright US Student Research Award. I was originally slated to apply through my home institution but their deadline was a month and a half before the national deadline, and a couple weeks before my school's deadline, the professor writing me a letter of affiliation backed out on me and I had to scramble to find another professor. A few weeks later I found two more professors, but they sent their letters of affiliation past my school's deadline but before the national deadline.

I misinterpreted Fulbright's website where it said there is no disadvantage to applying at large and a friend applying for Fulbright at another school said his advisor said applying at large is an option if you can't make your school's application deadline, so I thought I could apply at large. 

I read today elsewhere on Fulbright's website that students currently enrolled at an institution must apply through that institution and not at large.

I'm panicking and bummed out right now. Will my application be thrown out automatically? What should I do in this situation? I contacted the Fulbright advisor at my school to see what her take on the situation is. Has anyone else made this mistake? 

Thank you! 

9 hours ago, Wjtara37 said:

Hi all,

I recently applied at large to the Fulbright US Student Research Award. I was originally slated to apply through my home institution but their deadline was a month and a half before the national deadline, and a couple weeks before my school's deadline, the professor writing me a letter of affiliation backed out on me and I had to scramble to find another professor. A few weeks later I found two more professors, but they sent their letters of affiliation past my school's deadline but before the national deadline.

I misinterpreted Fulbright's website where it said there is no disadvantage to applying at large and a friend applying for Fulbright at another school said his advisor said applying at large is an option if you can't make your school's application deadline, so I thought I could apply at large. 

I read today elsewhere on Fulbright's website that students currently enrolled at an institution must apply through that institution and not at large.

I'm panicking and bummed out right now. Will my application be thrown out automatically? What should I do in this situation? I contacted the Fulbright advisor at my school to see what her take on the situation is. Has anyone else made this mistake? 

Thank you! 

I worked at a fellowship office and I can vouch that if you miss the campus deadline, you should apply at large. It is totally fine. They'll wonder why you didn't apply through your university, but they aren't going to reject your application just for that. I wouldn't worry about it, honestly. And I believe the wording is that if you are an alum, you have the choice to apply at large or through a university. It is only if you are currently enrolled that the "necessity" question is raised, and even then, if you miss the deadline, you can apply at large. Fulbright wants EVERYONE to apply. So don't sweat it.

Hello everyone! I'm graduating this December and I just put in my final application for the research Fulbright in Poland on the 10th. I'm all jittery with excitement and anticipation even though I have a WHILE to go. :) I put myself onto the spreadsheet. 

Does anyone have insight as to how strict the language requirements are? Of course "proficiency" is pretty clear. But specifically I'm looking at the Middle East and their word choice of "recommended."

Would anyone suggest that ETA would prefer considerable teaching experience over language requirement (recommended)?

6 hours ago, Okonkwo said:

Does anyone have insight as to how strict the language requirements are? Of course "proficiency" is pretty clear. But specifically I'm looking at the Middle East and their word choice of "recommended."

Would anyone suggest that ETA would prefer considerable teaching experience over language requirement (recommended)?

I was told to view "recommended" as required, because they take it  that seriously. That said, I know that teaching experience for ETA is one of biggest the requirements for some countries. Others don't necessarily care, so then language might be more importantly. It really depends on the country.

19 hours ago, Okonkwo said:

I think it depends on the country and number of applicants. If there are enough applicants who both have some teaching experience and some language experience, why would they pick someone with considerable teaching experience but no language experience? I suppose it's harder to seem truly interested and invested in the country (a.k.a. if you have so much teaching experience, why not become a teacher in the US – why that Middle East country?). 

23 hours ago, Horb said:

I was told to view "recommended" as required, because they take it  that seriously. That said, I know that teaching experience for ETA is one of biggest the requirements for some countries. Others don't necessarily care, so then language might be more importantly. It really depends on the country.

Specifically for Morocco there is a requirement of teaching experience and I have some language exposure to Arabic, approximately 3 months but by no means equivalent to 2 years. Is it worth the risk of reaching out to the program advisors and double check in an attempt to feel it out?