Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

8 hours ago, legato said:

I am applying an MA in Music Education from the Institute of Education at UCL. My focus is alternative practices in English music classrooms. The British system of music education is very holistic and comprehensive, allowing students to study modern popular music, as opposed to the US system which tends to be very focused on ensemble performances. What are you hoping to study/research?

Also best of luck to you!! :)

That sounds great! I'm applying for an MSc in One Health/Infectious Diseases at the Royal Veterinary College, University of London. It's a taught master's with a research component, so while a specific research topic hasn't been fully hashed out, I've gotten professor support from their program to work with them on a highly pathogenic parasite in poultry on which he's already conducting research, which ties is nicely to the type of research I had already been conducting as an undergraduate. This program would really just be a dream because there is truly nothing like it anywhere else on the planet, and it has a dual teaching component taught through the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, which is basically the global gold standard institute for infectious disease research. I'm a huge nerd about all this, haha, I could gush about it forever. 

13 hours ago, Mossy.artist said:

@AnnMarie Oh, you know, I just realized that the dates between the spreadsheets are not the same for Poland?? Well now its really a mystery! 

I was going to say! Last year was the 15th :o that is strange. I wonder why the sheets don't match up.

And I'm super excited to finally start the show!

Edited by AnnMarie

25 minutes ago, maelia8 said:

Research in Germany! It's gonna be tomorrow or Tuesday, I can just feel it!

Well it's gonna snow a ton Tuesday so the offices will most likely be closed.

I would love to hear thoughts about taking the Fulbright vs. a fully funded master's program. Is the Fulbright prestigious enough that the master's should be turned down and taken the next year? Do you think it is easier to get a master's funded once you have a Fulbright on your resume? More thoughts?

5 minutes ago, LibbyCreek said:

I would love to hear thoughts about taking the Fulbright vs. a fully funded master's program. Is the Fulbright prestigious enough that the master's should be turned down and taken the next year? Do you think it is easier to get a master's funded once you have a Fulbright on your resume? More thoughts?

Well I was accepted into a fully funded PhD program and was still waiting to hear back from Fulbright three years ago and was essentially told if I got it to take it because I'd get into better schools. However, this was for study/research. I've heard ETAs only help in certain fields.

3 minutes ago, Horb said:

Well I was accepted into a fully funded PhD program and was still waiting to hear back from Fulbright three years ago and was essentially told if I got it to take it because I'd get into better schools. However, this was for study/research. I've heard ETAs only help in certain fields.

That's what I've been wondering- if my school choices would improve dramatically AFTER a Fulbright. My proposal is for a research grant in Hungary so I think this would apply for me. When I mentioned to my FPA that I was also hoping for a funded master's position she was almost offended! She was certain that the Fulbright is the better option. However, my research much like @Mossy.artist is a lot of field work without substantial academic support. I would be in a small town working a few days a week in a social service office and trying to do field research on the side. I am hopeful that would look good on a resume- or maybe people don't read past the words "Fulbright Fellowship?"

52 minutes ago, LibbyCreek said:

My FPA and I talked about this a lot (during my days of optimism, before I was rejected from all the grad schools!). She said many programs will let you defer for a fellowship on the tier of Fulbright, and that if you can't defer, take the Fulbright and apply for grad school again in the following year. Her argument was that the grant's prestige opens up many, many, many doors and the amount of growth during a Fulbright will strengthen later applications. I'm applying for an ETA, not even a research, and not looking at anything related to teaching, and still she thinks the Fulbright will push me along in future career and academic endeavors. 

2 minutes ago, aheather said:

My FPA and I talked about this a lot (during my days of optimism, before I was rejected from all the grad schools!). She said many programs will let you defer for a fellowship on the tier of Fulbright, and that if you can't defer, take the Fulbright and apply for grad school again in the following year. Her argument was that the grant's prestige opens up many, many, many doors and the amount of growth during a Fulbright will strengthen later applications. I'm applying for an ETA, not even a research, and not looking at anything related to teaching, and still she thinks the Fulbright will push me along in future career and academic endeavors. 

This is really helpful! Thank you. Do you think the Fulbright is well recognized internationally as well as nationally? I'd love to get a masters abroad and wonder if the prestige carries over? I completed my BA remotely and live hours from my FPA, which is why I am querying this community instead of asking her...

I guess I should take the GREs before we leave, if I get the Fulbright of course...

1 hour ago, Horb said:

Having the ETA Fulbright in advance of applying for a PhD really helped my application in comparison to my stats right out of undergrad, especially since I got the second year renewal from the PAD in Germany after my first year of service.

2 hours ago, Horb said:

Well it's gonna snow a ton Tuesday so the offices will most likely be closed.

Fingers crossed for Monday then! Hard to imagine here in sunny CA that it's still snowing other places, lol.

12 minutes ago, maelia8 said:

Having the ETA Fulbright in advance of applying for a PhD really helped my application in comparison to my stats right out of undergrad, especially since I got the second year renewal from the PAD in Germany after my first year of service.

Another helpful comment. Thank you, I am also hopeful that my year in Hungary could be extended. It is an option, I don't know how candidates are selected to stay an extra year, but if I go I'll be aiming for that!  Now if I could find out my status...

13 minutes ago, maelia8 said:

This is why I said some fields, just to clarify. In mine, it wouldn't help much because it isn't viewed as being as rigorous a program, as self directed a program, and as academic a program as the other two. Obviously this depends on field or school. It can vary widely. I just heard from quite a few academics that the ETA isn't viewed as being ad prestigious or connected as the full grants.

14 minutes ago, maelia8 said:

Fingers crossed for Monday then! Hard to imagine here in sunny CA that it's still snowing other places, lol.

My gut says Wednesday, especially if Tuesday is closed out by snow.

23 hours ago, Lab6214 said:

Awesome! Let me know if you do! I listed a preference for Galicia (I've studied Galician!), where are you hoping for placement if you become a finalist?? 

I hope we both get it! 

I'm hoping for Madrid!  Probably my favorite city in the world. I put Galicia down as my second choice, though ^_^. I applied for the Auxiliares de Conversación program, which accepts pretty much everyone, so I'll be in Spain no matter what. BUT the Fulbright program is much better run and pays quite a bit more, so I've got all my fingers and toes crossed... Good luck!

1 hour ago, Horb said:

This is why I said some fields, just to clarify. In mine, it wouldn't help much because it isn't viewed as being as rigorous a program, as self directed a program, and as academic a program as the other two. Obviously this depends on field or school. It can vary widely. I just heard from quite a few academics that the ETA isn't viewed as being ad prestigious or connected as the full grants.

Yeah, ETA for sure is not as good as a research grant in terms of prestige, especially for Germany since so many ETAships are awarded. However, on top of an undergrad degree only, I think it can give a big leg up on getting into a humanities PhD especially. 

14 minutes ago, maelia8 said:

Yeah, ETA for sure is not as good as a research grant in terms of prestige, especially for Germany since so many ETAships are awarded. However, on top of an undergrad degree only, I think it can give a big leg up on getting into a humanities PhD especially. 

Hmmm that's interesting. I am applying for a research grant, but don't anticipate wanting more than a masters by the end. It sounds like if I get this my best bet is to take it and then go from there! 

Thanks for the extra thoughts everyone, it really helps, since I am not at all close to academia :)