Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

Ndfan2373, srhkdr, rapskalien congrats to all you on being selected as finalists for the Czech Republic! I am thrilled to be able to say that I have been selected as a finalist too! Dash123, I’m sorry about the limbo you have been put into by being selected as an alternate. I am sending all my best wishes (for whatever they’re worth) towards you, so that you get selected!

Unrelated to all that, l was looking at the discussion about the relative prestige and resume boost an ETA grant has vs a research grant. Since my plan after Fulbright is to go to law school, I'm wondering if anyone knows whether a Fulbright ETA is a "strong soft" for a law school app? BTW, I already know that 90% of what adcoms care about is lsat and gpa, but I've heard that a "strong soft" can potentially get a person accepted to a school that is one tier higher than what their gpa and lsat scores would predict.

41 minutes ago, Dash123 said:

Not gonna lie, kind of wish I'd been flat-out rejected rather than designated alternate. I hate being in limbo and there's no way of predicting my chances - could be 1/5 or 1/500 that I'm bumped up! I wish this fate on no one! Also, does anyone else feel like if they're ultimately chosen as an alternate that it won't really feel the same? 

:(

Was an alternate for CLS and them got bumped up. Was just as honored. Don't lose hope yet! 

12 minutes ago, hank.img said:

How many of you guys read over your submitted application just to recharge on your confidence by looking through all the things you have accomplished so far? I read it like twice. 

Haha! I totally did this like a month ago and was like "I kick ass, I've got nothing to be afraid of!" ??

I'm hoping a large announcement is next since it's been a bit since the last notification. Maybe Spain!?!?

Edited by Horb

8 minutes ago, Horb said:

I'm hoping a large announcement isn't next since it's been a bit since the last notification. Maybe Spain!?!?

Do you mean IS next? Cuz I so, I hope you're right! 

Well, I caved and called in. Spain ETAs won't be announced today. The woman (Marla Mazer, the contact for Europe on the Fulbright website) didn't know when they'd be announced, but the commission in Spain hasn't released them to the US yet. Guess it seems like I'll be twiddling my thumbs for at least a couple more days if this storm is as bad as you all are saying! 

1 minute ago, Lab6214 said:

Well, I caved and called in. Spain ETAs won't be announced today. The woman (Marla Mazer, the contact for Europe on the Fulbright website) didn't know when they'd be announced, but the commission in Spain hasn't released them to the US yet. Guess it seems like I'll be twiddling my thumbs for at least a couple more days if this storm is as bad as you all are saying! 

You are so strong...I wonder if Germany will. They are covered by a different person.

1 minute ago, Horb said:

You are so strong...I wonder if Germany will. They are covered by a different person.

Haha I'm trying! At least I can stop staring at my email for a while since I know it won't come today :) I hope you're right about Germany! Fewer people in purgatory! 

1 hour ago, Dobrih said:

Ndfan2373, srhkdr, rapskalien congrats to all you on being selected as finalists for the Czech Republic! I am thrilled to be able to say that I have been selected as a finalist too! Dash123, I’m sorry about the limbo you have been put into by being selected as an alternate. I am sending all my best wishes (for whatever they’re worth) towards you, so that you get selected!

Unrelated to all that, l was looking at the discussion about the relative prestige and resume boost an ETA grant has vs a research grant. Since my plan after Fulbright is to go to law school, I'm wondering if anyone knows whether a Fulbright ETA is a "strong soft" for a law school app? BTW, I already know that 90% of what adcoms care about is lsat and gpa, but I've heard that a "strong soft" can potentially get a person accepted to a school that is one tier higher than what their gpa and lsat scores would predict.

Thank you so much! Congrats to you as well!

@Dash123 I am sorry to hear that :( I completely understand what you mean and I hope it is resolved either way (hopefully to finalist!!) in the near future. I will be sending you positive vibes!!! Please let us know what happens. 

33 minutes ago, Lab6214 said:

That's too bad! Well at least we know that they're working over there, given that the research grant results came out. Maybe by the end of this week, or at the least next.

4 minutes ago, Vegan Burrito said:

That's too bad! Well at least we know that they're working over there, given that the research grant results came out. Maybe by the end of this week, or at the least next.

I will be so bummed if it isn't this week! But you're right. Can't be too long now! ?

2 minutes ago, Stormtrooper1138 said:

The UK decisions need to just be released. Im sure they already have them by now.

So looking at the dates chart, the UK has notified on the 3rd Monday or Tuesday of March pretty much without fail, excluding for 2015. If they stay on that track, then us UK folks will be looking at notifications either the 20th or 21st. Basically one more week of torture.

2 minutes ago, morelani said:

Just got a " Congratulations On Your Fulbright U.S. Student Award " e-mail, but still nothing with (P) in the subject... anxiously awaiting that second e-mail, as I've been burned before (UCSD accidentally sent me an acceptance once). Cautiously celebrating that I am likely going to Norway next year!

Check spam! AND CONGRATS!

1 minute ago, morelani said:

Nothing in spam, but my FPA was CC'd and just forwarded it to me. Thank you!! I can still barely believe my eyes.

Huge congratulations! So excited for you!!!! ???

Quick question: if accepted, how long do we have to accept our acceptance? (I'm sure I could've phrased that differently.)

I've applied for the ETA program in Malaysia, by the way.

Edited by Lwc23