Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

4 minutes ago, medievalist86 said:

I'm down in Rochester (just north of Centralia)! I'm also hoping to do a program in Medieval History in the U.K. - what university did you apply to? If I get it, I'll be at the University of Reading. I really hope we get notified this week. All this waiting is torture. :P 

Woah, there must be a lot of Rochesters I didn't know about then xD There's one in Washington, too?? 

3 minutes ago, Tera said:

Woah, there must be a lot of Rochesters I didn't know about then xD There's one in Washington, too?? 

LOL Yep, there is one in Washington. There are also cities named Rochester in Minnesota, Ohio, and quite a few other states, too. ;) 

Even the snow can't distract me from constantly refreshing my email. Yes, logic tells decisions probably won't come for 2 days... but angst and restlessness have overcome logic :P 

7 hours ago, pengpolaruin said:

I hope soon.. I'm going crazy waiting for Korea to announce! 

I spent the first half of my life in Korea and I can't wait for you to experience the Korean culture! If you need some recommendations on things to do there, K-pop artists, or anything else let me know!!!

39 minutes ago, Lab6214 said:

Can anyone confirm that the offices are for sure closed today? 

No direct confirmation, but the UN Headquarters complex is closed today due to inclement weather. Isn't IIE nearby? It's possible the office is open today, but I imagine some of the staff may have called out due to the weather. 

51 minutes ago, catsbloom said:

No direct confirmation, but the UN Headquarters complex is closed today due to inclement weather. Isn't IIE nearby? It's possible the office is open today, but I imagine some of the staff may have called out due to the weather. 

@Lab6214 Called IIE just to see if they were open (no harm in that, right?). No one answered, so they're either very busy or closed. I'd say our best hope today is that folks are working from home.

EDIT: based on @thepictureisstill's tweet, it appears there was a three hour delay today! Good thinking!

Edited by edon16

17 hours ago, LibbyCreek said:

This is all good info for me. I am looking at a fully funded masters or the Fulbright (I'll know any day now right?). It sounds like, given that I am in the social sciences, that a fully funded masters could be a great deal, but that if I am willing to reapply I might get into better schools with better funding AFTER the Fulbright. 

Still taking thoughts from anyone and I appreciate all the good thinking thus far!

Just to put in my two cents on this, it really depends on your ultimate career goals, and the field that you are pursuing. Masters are generally the cash cow of any educational institution. The fact that yours is fully funded is a really big deal, and should definitely be considered a strong positive for that decision.

If you anticipate pursuing a PhD in your field, then you can perhaps give the masters a little less weight. With the Fulbright under your belt, you would likely be able to gain entry in to a fully funded PhD program. It's likely that program would grant you a masters in passing if you so desire, but ultimately the masters does not have as much importance to your end goal (i.e., the PhD). 

If you only need a masters, then the final call really needs to be up to you - the Fulbright would provide a once in a lifetime opportunity to live in a foreign country, fully funded, with minimal stress. You truly get to immerse yourself in a new culture, and have experiences that others literally dream of. The Fulbright would potentially open many doors for better grad schools. The other thing to consider, though, is the better masters program will most likely not fund you. This tradeoff is something to ultimately consider, but on the other hand masters programs aren't going anywhere in the next two years. Your Fulbright offer is more likely to be a one time deal.

This is definitely a big decision, I would definitely encourage you to keep asking around (like you have on here! :) ) to see what people think. Ask your professors or mentors that you respect a lot, and see what new perspectives they may lend. Ultimately, the decision will come down to you. It's your life, your experience, your decision. There will probably be one that just feels better to you, gives you less stress, less questions about "what if?" and your gut will likely tell you the way to go.

12 hours ago, medievalist86 said:

I'm down in Rochester (just north of Centralia)! I'm also hoping to do a program in Medieval History in the U.K. - what university did you apply to? If I get it, I'll be at the University of Reading. I really hope we get notified this week. All this waiting is torture. :P 

Oh nice! I applied to the University of East Anglia up in Norwich. If you don't mind sharing, what topic or project are you hoping to work on? I'm hoping to research cultural connotations of disability in the later medieval period! And I feel you there--I'm trying to stay calm and I keep reminding myself that I'm grateful to have even come this far in the process, but every new email in my university inbox still makes my stomach drop.

Just wanted to weigh in on the whole funded masters vs Fulbright discussion. I'm going for a funded PhD program, so it may be slightly different from a masters, but everyone I've talked to has been super excited to hear that I'm a semi-finalist (impatiently waiting for Israel to announce). I was accepted to two fully funded PhD programs, and they both will allow me to defer for a year and come back with the same financial package. Talk to your specific program, but to me, Fulbright and deferring my program is my ideal situation. If you can't defer, it might be more complicated...

3 minutes ago, lizie.johnson said:

Just wanted to weigh in on the whole funded masters vs Fulbright discussion. I'm going for a funded PhD program, so it may be slightly different from a masters, but everyone I've talked to has been super excited to hear that I'm a semi-finalist (impatiently waiting for Israel to announce). I was accepted to two fully funded PhD programs, and they both will allow me to defer for a year and come back with the same financial package. Talk to your specific program, but to me, Fulbright and deferring my program is my ideal situation. If you can't defer, it might be more complicated...

Fortunately, I'm in the same position with this as well. I was clear with my prospective department I had submitted an application for the Fulbright before I ever submitted my application for grad school. They were very happy to work with me around the Fulbright. It definitely doesn't hurt to be in conversation with your department!

Edited by jarp729

19 minutes ago, Horb said:

Was it ETA or research? CONGRATS EITHER WAY!

Research. I just cannot believe they gave a Fulbright to a rural 39 year old with kids. It took me 10 years to finish my undergrad... guess I'll have to fake it and act like I belong...

Thanks for the congrats everyone!