Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

@catsbloom That's it? I had 13 mini snickers and counting. Probably wil move onto in-n-out burgers soon. 

@pengpolaruin & @Tera I am pretty sure you guys might be well aware but these are some free K-drama websites you can explore "dramacool," kshowonline," and "kissasian." 

You can watch Goblin on kissasian website @Tera

Now you get to spend time distracted. YOU'RE WELCOME. 

Edited by hank.img

1 minute ago, hank.img said:

@catsbloom That's it? I had 13 mini snickers and counting. Probably wil move onto in-n-out burgers soon. 

@pengpolaruin & @Tera I am pretty sure you guys might be well aware but these are some free K-drama websites you can explore "dramacool," kshowonline," and "kissasian." 

You can watch Goblin on kissasian website @Tera

You are a life-saver! Thank you :D

22 minutes ago, milliedaisy said:

I went on twitter to scope things out, and all I learned was that the next application cycle opens before I'm even projected to find out!!!! Lol :lol:

@milliedaisy I did the same thing! You would think they would say something along the line "the applicants for such and such countries were notified today, congratulations for our newly selected scholars!" BUT NOPE. They just want more people to apply for the next cycle and experience this nine circles of hell we all call waiting.  

4 minutes ago, hank.img said:

What if they already have all the results but they withhold on purpose to see all our reactions on forums like this? 

I think they're holding out Ireland until Friday so whoever wins gets the luck of the Irish (rightfully so) and the rest of us will scorn Saint Patrick's day for the rest of our lives...or until we reapply next year :blink:

Edited by thepictureisstill

Hey everyone - sorry to those who are dying to hear back! As you know, I was given the dreaded "alternate" status for my ETA. In case anyone is curious, I'll post the email below for what they send to alternates (basically "hey not right now...but you should be honored...but no...maybe..."). I was wondering if you guys think I should reply to the email thanking them and reiterating my interest? I'm really just praying to the international gods that I get promoted in this next month! Or are things like that annoying to people on the receiving end? I never know with email etiquette in situations like these!

We wish to inform you that you have been designated as an Alternate for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program. Thus you would receive an award only in the event that someone withdraws or additional funding becomes available. While you have not currently been selected as a Principal candidate, your selection as an Alternate for a Fulbright award is, in itself, an achievement for which you can be justly proud. 
Please know we have no way of predicting the chances of an Alternate’s promotion to Finalist, nor do we maintain ranked lists of Alternates. Promotions may depend on the profile of the Principal who declines a grant offer or other factors.

The majority of finalists are given one month to make their decisions regarding acceptance or declination of an award. You can assume that the finalists for your country are being notified simultaneously with this notice to you. Therefore, you can estimate the time frame in which most students will accept or decline their award offers. The chance of promotion will be greatest during the spring months, and then steadily decline as time goes on. However, we maintain Alternate lists until it is no longer feasible to offer new grants for this academic year and will ONLY contact you if an opening occurs.

It is our hope that you would be available to accept a grant should it be offered. In the meantime, it is important that you advise us immediately if there is any factor that could preclude you from accepting an award. You will remain on the Alternate list unless you withdraw, in writing, from the competition.

No additional information should be sent to us in support of your application, as it will have no effect on your status. Also, please be advised that in the event that we can offer you a Fulbright award, we will try to contact you by telephone or email first. If you need to update any of your contact information, please email your IIE Program Manager. You will receive no further correspondence on your status unless potential funding becomes available.

I want to emphasize that your Alternate status in no way prejudices your chances for success in future Fulbright U.S. Student Program competitions. Each year's selection is separate.  If you are not promoted to a Principal candidate and you wish to apply again for a Fulbright Award, your application will be considered solely on the basis of eligibility requirements, merits, and the placement possibilities in the country of your choice.

We appreciate your interest in the Fulbright Program.

2 minutes ago, Dash123 said:

No additional information should be sent to us in support of your application, as it will have no effect on your status.

I would avoid sending them anything, even if you're just reiterating your interests!

1 hour ago, SrtaOrozco said:

I am both anxious and excited about Spain releasing their ETA finalists! This is my first time posting on this feed and I've been feverishly reading this thread! I am currently a senior in my last semester of college and this is my first time applying for a Fulbright! This has been a dream of mine since freshman year of college! I am a semi-finalist for for an ETA Fulbright in Spain! Anyone else also in the same boat? Best of luck to all of us! <3

There are a couple others of us on here! I'm the same boat as you - current senior in college. Mucha suerte! Where are you hoping to be placed?

12 minutes ago, Dash123 said:

Hey everyone - sorry to those who are dying to hear back! As you know, I was given the dreaded "alternate" status for my ETA. In case anyone is curious, I'll post the email below for what they send to alternates (basically "hey not right now...but you should be honored...but no...maybe..."). I was wondering if you guys think I should reply to the email thanking them and reiterating my interest? I'm really just praying to the international gods that I get promoted in this next month! Or are things like that annoying to people on the receiving end? I never know with email etiquette in situations like these.

I wouldn't send an email since it sounds like a response isn't required.

Edited by catsbloom

I've been following this thread for a while and I think it's time for me to join in. I'm a finalist for research in Panama anxiously waiting for notification! I also have two colleagues who are finalists for Indonesia and Philippines, respectively. Good luck to you all and congrats to those who have already heard back!

4 minutes ago, hank.img said:

@AnnMarie How many alternates do you think they pick?

Last year, from out list, there were 2 alternate and both were given the Fulbright in the end. That's what's keeping my hopes up.

3 minutes ago, AnnMarie said:

Last year, from out list, there were 2 alternate and both were given the Fulbright in the end. That's what's keeping my hopes up.

I was just asking because the email sounded like they pick a lot of alternates. It's really hard because we won't know how many are ahead of us on that list either. But hey, I really wish you the best and hopefully we can both get promoted at the end. 

Me:

>Opens computer 

>Sees there are 30+ new posts in the forum

>Without even stopping to read what people said, open my email

>See a P..see Congratulations...

>Bring down the foundations of my house from jumping around and screaming at the top of my lungs scaring the crap out of my husband who's in the shower

I'M GOING TO POLAND MOTHER FULBRIGHTERS!!!!!!

>Sidenote: wanted to call mom, dad, and best friends to scream at them through the phone....NO ONE PICKS UP!!! 

WWWHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, now I'm going to go back and read everyone's posts. Congrats to everyone who got good news today! :D

6 minutes ago, Mossy.artist said:

Me:

>Opens computer 

>Bring down the foundations of my house from jumping around and screaming at the top of my lungs scaring the crap out of my husband who's in the shower

>Sidenote: wanted to call mom, dad, and best friends to scream at them through the phone....NO ONE PICKS UP!!! 

WWWHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, now I'm going to go back and read everyone's posts. Congrats to everyone who got good news today! :D

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

Completely changing the topic from notifications, but I found myself curious as I was looking at the spreadsheet and because of some recent reporting I've been reading - for Ukraine applicants, have there been additional hoops to jump through or restrictions on this year's cycle given the political/wartime situation there? I'm almost surprised to see the competition has continued to run, given that Egypt and Bangladesh have recently been cancelled or suspended. 

Congratulations & commiserations to everyone who's heard so far!!

Edited by AKACaz

Oh sh*t! I just assumed that with so many new posts a bunch of people would have been notified and celebrating. Sorry for getting all crazy. @AnnMarie and @hank.img I still believe that we can share a coffee come this fall in beautiful Poland. Sending you positive energy!! <3

9 minutes ago, Mossy.artist said:

Me:

>Opens computer 

Epic announcement, congrats!!!