Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

1 hour ago, AnnMarie said:

Last year, from out list, there were 2 alternate and both were given the Fulbright in the end. That's what's keeping my hopes up.

Hey @AnnMarie where did you find this info? I've been looking for something similar for Czech Republic alternates but there doesn't seem to be much

9 minutes ago, Dash123 said:

Hey @AnnMarie where did you find this info? I've been looking for something similar for Czech Republic alternates but there doesn't seem to be much

I was looking at our own Google docs spread sheet. Aside from that, I've been looking at a lot of alternates stories and I also emailed my advisor of my status. We still have a good shot. Sometimes additional funding turns up last minute in April :) it's hard to know how many alternates there are, though, seeing as how not every Fulbrighter is on here. I would presume there are 2-3 for 20 grants? Perhaps I'm over estimating.

23 minutes ago, Mossy.artist said:

Oh sh*t! I just assumed that with so many new posts a bunch of people would have been notified and celebrating. Sorry for getting all crazy. @AnnMarie and @hank.img I still believe that we can share a coffee come this fall in beautiful Poland. Sending you positive energy!! <3

I sure hope so! I am keeping my fingers crossed. Congrats to you!

1 hour ago, blakec1988 said:

I've been following this thread for a while and I think it's time for me to join in. I'm a finalist for research in Panama anxiously waiting for notification! I also have two colleagues who are finalists for Indonesia and Philippines, respectively. Good luck to you all and congrats to those who have already heard back!

Yay! Someone else for Latin America :) good luck to you, hope we hear back soon!

2 minutes ago, AnnMarie said:

Congrats!!

2 minutes ago, Jess2323 said:

Not a mistake, yay!

Thanks both of you! I convinced myself I would be a NP or an A.

@AnnMarie, Poland was only supposed to have 15 grants last year but there are 17 there now so extra funds may pop up!! I wish I had previous years data but there is a very good chance! I am crossing everything!

@indexes CONGRATS!!!! Fingers crossed I will be able to join you in the future! I feel like because they had more grants this past year than they did the year before, they wouldn't have extra fund anymore? Or I guess they are constantly growing?

22 minutes ago, hj2012 said:

Also, @pengpolaruin and @Tera : I am a former South Korea ETA, if you have any questions! 화이팅!

감사합니다~~~ I will definitely give you a follow on here and let you know if I have any questions :)

19 minutes ago, indexes said:

@AnnMarie, Poland was only supposed to have 15 grants last year but there are 17 there now so extra funds may pop up!! I wish I had previous years data but there is a very good chance! I am crossing everything!

I wonder how many alternates are promoted because someone declined their offer vs how many are promoted because extra funding comes through? ME: speculating wildly for the next month and you'll all have to see it, sorry :unsure:

14 minutes ago, hank.img said:

@AnnMarie My university scholarship advisor also told me that traditionally there is a lot of movement on alternate list and that I shouldn't be so down about my current status.

NOW we start the 10th circle of hell of waiting together. 

This is so true. Like someone said before me, being an alternate is it's own hell in itself. Lol. But there is a lot of movement. I'm rooting for you though! I've also heard of a lot of movement happening in May and June! While it would be frightening to hear so late about the Fulbright only to leave so soon, that would be exciting! So there is that possibility. Some people initially accept only to withdraw later on. Keep the hope strong!

This would apply to all applicants somewhat, 

Do you guys think there will be more funding availble for fulbright program as a whole? With some political changes in the U.S., I'm curious if we are going to either face increase or decrease in overall funding. Increase in funding would benefit the alternates since our promotion is highly dependent on availble funding.

Oh and also increase in the number of availble spots. For example, Poland had 15 ETAs two years ago and now they have 17.

Edited by hank.img

4 minutes ago, AnnMarie said:

This is so true. Like someone said before me, being an alternate is it's own hell in itself. Lol. But there is a lot of movement. I'm rooting for you though! I've also heard of a lot of movement happening in May and June! While it would be frightening to hear so late about the Fulbright only to leave so soon, that would be exciting! So there is that possibility. Some people initially accept only to withdraw later on. Keep the hope strong!

I can really appreciate your positivity! Can't exactly say it better than this, but being in this together really helps me cope. Hoping many of those who are accepted for Fulbright also receive even better job/scholarship/grad school offer! 

Hi! Does any one have any info on the notification date for sub-Saharan Africa/Zambia? In the process of scouring online spreadsheets but so far it looks like a mixed bag.... 

1 hour ago, Clara B said:

Hi! Does any one have any info on the notification date for sub-Saharan Africa/Zambia? In the process of scouring online spreadsheets but so far it looks like a mixed bag.... 

When i had applied to Kenya it was always late April :( Not sure about Zambia 

11 hours ago, inkstainedarm said:

Oh nice! I applied to the University of East Anglia up in Norwich. If you don't mind sharing, what topic or project are you hoping to work on? I'm hoping to research cultural connotations of disability in the later medieval period! And I feel you there--I'm trying to stay calm and I keep reminding myself that I'm grateful to have even come this far in the process, but every new email in my university inbox still makes my stomach drop.

UEA is a WONDERFUL university! I studied abroad there as an undergrad a few years ago, and I loved it there! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about UEA, Norwich or anything else. I don't mind at all - my focus is on heresy and religious discrimination the Crusades, specifically regarding the Crusades from 1096-1229. How about yours? Yeah, this is my third year applying for this award, and the first year I've qualified for an interview, so I'm on pins and needles waiting for the decision. Good luck to you! :) 

2 hours ago, hank.img said:

I can really appreciate your positivity! Can't exactly say it better than this, but being in this together really helps me cope. Hoping many of those who are accepted for Fulbright also receive even better job/scholarship/grad school offer! 

Haha this is my thought exactly. Hoping someone got something they want more than the Fulbright so little ol me can sneak in and snatch it up!

5 hours ago, AKACaz said:

Completely changing the topic from notifications, but I found myself curious as I was looking at the spreadsheet and because of some recent reporting I've been reading - for Ukraine applicants, have there been additional hoops to jump through or restrictions on this year's cycle given the political/wartime situation there? I'm almost surprised to see the competition has continued to run, given that Egypt and Bangladesh have recently been cancelled or suspended. 

Congratulations & commiserations to everyone who's heard so far!!

We didn't have any special hoops to jump through.  Placements just won't be offered in the Donbass region/Crimea.  Everywhere outside of the Donbass is calm and chill. I think I got asked a few questions based off of my interest to go to Ukraine given that I work in Russia, but otherwise nothing special or overly whack.

26 minutes ago, hank.img said:

@AnnMarie I know this sounds sad but when should we stop expecting the promotion?

I'm sure it's different between countries (I'm an alternate for Czech ETA). But the email I received seemed to imply that the finalists are encouraged to give their answers within a month. I take that to mean that our best chance is in the next month, if someone denies their grant (maybe because they found another opportunity or can't go). After a month, I'll probably give up hope personally and then just treat it like a lottery that I might magically win but probably won't hah.