Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

3 hours ago, Horb said:

Fulbright usually has some extra funds!

4 hours ago, thepictureisstill said:

Oh no...so sorry to hear this. I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled as I continue to scour profellow.com etc. for opportunities. I think you can respond to Fulbright and request more funds. That's worth a try, right?

edit: Assuming you didn't apply at-large, would your home institution potentially help with costs? Again, I think it's worth asking. Lord knows we don't get anything we don't ask for in research universities. 

3 hours ago, jarp729 said:

My friend did a Fulbright to Poland. When he went, the stipend was incredibly generous compared to the cost of living. He repeatedly mentioned they lived like kings in comparison to other university aged students in Krakov.

3 hours ago, remenis said:

How low is it? How does it compare with the cost of living in Poland?

When you say ask Fulbright..who am I really asking? I feel like it would be frowned upon to ask the host country for more money...so who would I talk to? 

Today I've already gone around to most of my professors asking them for funding advice. My adviser got really excited and wants to do a news piece on me now XD Hopefully we can cobble something together :/ I've been told that most of the opportunities people know about are for graduate students and since I won't be enrolled anywhere...

It's pretty frustrating because I was very clear in my proposal that my research involved a lot of travel and I was told not to worry about money because the amount provided would "be enough". How can they even know that without a budget!? Hrmph! I'm not expecting to even stay in hotels most of the time but $500 is just not going to cut it..

The living stipend is fine. Could be higher (I'm basically making $8.40 an hour) but it is acceptable. I don't think I'll be living like royalty though, my husband is coming with me so I can't stay in a cheap dorm or something and rent in Krakow is higher than some other Polish cities due to it being a tourist attraction. For anyone interested, the dependent allowance is $250 per month for Poland at least. 

If I can just find some more research money it would be ok. Although I must admit, I was looking forward to being able to relax on the budgeting for once..:P

2 minutes ago, Horb said:

Obviously, I'm not an expert, but the email another alternate posted said that there was no traditional waitlist, but rather they put on people who matched the type of candidate who withdrew. So I'm not sure if Fulbright would know. 

Ah that perfectly makes sense. So I guess it would be safe to assume there would be more alternates compared to non-select.

4 minutes ago, hank.img said:

I know I am thinking way ahead but I am curious as to who I should ask for my status (A) on the list after waiting patiently for about a month.

Apparently from the previous application cycles (both in 2014 and 2015), people who work in Fulbright commission communicated directly with alternate individuals on how things are looking for alternates as time went on (AND even suggested people to apply again because they were really high up on the rank).

Really? Maybe it's based on region but I was never contacted again as an alternate to Leicester, UK.  I wished they had done so but I understand that it would have been a lot of work to keep so many people updated.  If you do get contacted in April please let us know what they say! :) 

2 minutes ago, Mossy.artist said:

When you say ask Fulbright..who am I really asking? I feel like it would be frowned upon to ask the host country for more money...so who would I talk to? 

Today I've already gone around to most of my professors asking them for funding advice. My adviser got really excited and wants to do a news piece on me now XD Hopefully we can cobble something together :/ I've been told that most of the opportunities people know about are for graduate students and since I won't be enrolled anywhere...

It's pretty frustrating because I was very clear in my proposal that my research involved a lot of travel and I was told not to worry about money because the amount provided would "be enough". How can they even know that without a budget!? Hrmph! I'm not expecting to even stay in hotels most of the time but $500 is just not going to cut it..

The living stipend is fine. Could be higher (I'm basically making $8.40 an hour) but it is acceptable. I don't think I'll be living like royalty though, my husband is coming with me so I can't stay in a cheap dorm or something and rent in Krakow is higher than some other Polish cities due to it being a tourist attraction. For anyone interested, the dependent allowance is $250 per month for Poland at least. 

If I can just find some more research money it would be ok. Although I must admit, I was looking forward to being able to relax on the budgeting for once..:P

I would email the contact for your region. 

9 minutes ago, Horb said:

Friend told me. They were not selected :(

I'm sorry to hear that :( Those Caribbean countries have so few grants! I'm sure they are among the most competitive!

11 minutes ago, pengpolaruin said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I feel like I'm starting to go crazy ?

Definitely not! I just got an email from Buzzfeed and flipped out

11 minutes ago, Dilemma1 said:

Really? Maybe it's based on region but I was never contacted again as an alternate to Leicester, UK.  I wished they had done so but I understand that it would have been a lot of work to keep so many people updated.  If you do get contacted in April please let us know what they say! :) 

Sorry I should clarify, they were happy to let you know once you reached out to them first. I just don't know who to contact.

8 minutes ago, hank.img said:

Sorry I should clarify, they were happy to let you know once you reached out to them first. I just don't know who to contact.

Oh ok! That makes sense.  I didn't reach out because in the alternate email it seemed to be discouraged.  But this explains why I didn't hear anything!  My guess would be the person listed on the regional contact info page on the Fulbright website.  It's really hard to know though who to reach out to.

https://us.fulbrightonline.org/contact-us

Edited by Dilemma1

3 minutes ago, blakec1988 said:

Just received an email notification of my acceptance as a Fulbright research scholar to Panama! :lol:

congrats!!!!

5 minutes ago, blakec1988 said:

Just received an email notification of my acceptance as a Fulbright research scholar to Panama! :lol:

CONGRATS!

11 minutes ago, Horb said:

CONGRATS!

14 minutes ago, sam89 said:

congrats!!!!

Thank you all so much!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you all receive amazing news as well! (and soon!)

5 minutes ago, Lab6214 said:

SPAİN CAME OUT AND I'M GOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS!!!!! 

Also... LOL at the rep before for straight up telling you Spain wouldn't come out today because they hadn't received the decisions... 

Edited by sam89

3 minutes ago, sam89 said:

CONGRATS!!!!! 

Also... LOL at the rep before for straight up telling you Spain wouldn't come out today because they hadn't received the decisions... 

That happened the last time I applied. It was so funny. They honestly were like...we were told tomorrow...BUT HEY EARLY RESULTS WOO

Just received this email from the Western Hemmisphere coordinator:

Dear (removed)

Decisions for Peru are still pending and are expected to be available within the next month. 

Best,

Susan

Original:

Hello Ms. Muendl,

I can imagine now is a busy time with Fulbright notifications underway, but I just wanted to ask whether or not you had an idea of when Peru notifications will be sent out? I know I'm one of many students in this position, but I have a deadline to notify my graduate program whether or not I will be deferring. For peace of mind, I just wanted to check whether or not I'll be able to notify them by their requested deadline. 

Thank you for your time, and I hope you stay safe with the weather NYC has been experiencing these past few days!