Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

2 minutes ago, tommec said:

OK everyone so if waiting for Fulbright notifications is giving you intense anxiety like me... this video is incredibly inspirational and helps to put things in perspective. 

"There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.” 

I love this! I show it to my students at the beginning of every term! 

7 minutes ago, tommec said:

OK everyone so if waiting for Fulbright notifications is giving you intense anxiety like me... this video is incredibly inspirational and helps to put things in perspective. 

"There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.” 

The cold chills are real. Thank you for sharing :)

~perspective~
~breathe~

2 minutes ago, ibette said:

I am scared of checking my e-mail so I check the forum first to make sure it's safe. Patiently waiting for more Western Hemisphere countries and getting a bit more angsty as other countries go through ??? 

I do the same exact thing! I really would not want to check my email first! 

First time posting here -- ETA semi-finalist to Malaysia. Getting pretty salty over here that Asia seems to come out last! Last few years came out mid/late April... getting angsty reading these posts and seeing so much success haha 

12 minutes ago, jmhawkin24 said:

Let's either hope the PO for East-Asia Pacific comes in today or someone else handles the notifications!

I honestly feel like we wont hear until next week :/ 

Greetings all! Anyone else "patiently" waiting for the Netherlands notifications? I just made a user account here after days of lurking around. I was sure the confirmation emails from Grad Cafe were the notification! I probably refreshed my gmail browser about 200 times yesterday. Here is hoping that today is the day. Best wishes to everyone in this journey!

1 hour ago, Photogeographic said:

Any Indonesia ETA's or research think we might hear back this Friday? 

Hey I am an Indonesia ETA semi-finalist. this is my first time posting even though I have been reading through this forum for the last few weeks. 

Based on past years, Indonesia has notified either on Tuesday or Thursday, with the exception of one Friday. I hope we hear today! I am anxiously waiting

Anybody else here a semi-finalist for Eurasia? I'm one for Georgia and I am wondering if anyone from the region has been notified yet. 

1 hour ago, CoffeeTime said:

Greetings all! Anyone else "patiently" waiting for the Netherlands notifications? I just made a user account here after days of lurking around. I was sure the confirmation emails from Grad Cafe were the notification! I probably refreshed my gmail browser about 200 times yesterday. Here is hoping that today is the day. Best wishes to everyone in this journey!

I am! Definitely starting to get antsy that it's one of the last Western European countries to notify. I have work to be getting on with without this hanging over my head, damnit...

Edited by AKACaz

44 minutes ago, Horb said:

I called about Germany. She did not know when results would be released :(

I'd wager that she probably gets a couple calls like that a day, and just tells everyone she doesn't know. Just a guess though.

Edited by Vegan Burrito

Following up on @mckenna81's linking to that WaPo article - this is just tangentially related to the Fulbright, but it's highly important to all of us as students.

President Trump's newly-released budget plan calls for totally eliminating federal funding for the National Endowment for the Humanities, the National Endowment for the Arts, Title VI International and Foreign Language Education, the Institute of Museum and Library Services, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (PBS), and the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, as well as immediately or gradually de-funding many National Park Historic Sites. The Library of Congress, the Smithsonian Institution(s), and the National Archives are among those who may also feel fallout. And it's not just places critical to humanities and social sciences that are on the chopping block - the National Science Foundation and the National Institutes of Health are likely to be affected, alongside major cuts to the Environmental Protection Agency.

If you have a few minutes today or this week, call your Representatives and Senators and demand that they don't let any of this happen! Contact details for your reps (searchable by zipcode) are available via house.gov and senate.gov. Voicemails often have a much more noticeable/non-ignorable impact than emails. 

And while you're at it - why not demand that Fulbright remain intact, too, since State is definitely feeling the heat and who the hell knows what's going to happen next...

/end speech

Edited by AKACaz

56 minutes ago, chemteachersrule said:

Hey I am an Indonesia ETA semi-finalist. this is my first time posting even though I have been reading through this forum for the last few weeks. 

Based on past years, Indonesia has notified either on Tuesday or Thursday, with the exception of one Friday. I hope we hear today! I am anxiously waiting

(Indonesia ETA semi-finalist as well) I'd love to know today because tomorrow I'm getting on a train to Miami then a flight for Madrid. I don't want to be checking my email whenever I get to the hostel. I wish I had the patience to just let it happen when it happens but I'm anxious. 

I was a lot more calm about CLS (partially because I was having a great time studying in Ecuador & I didn't really think I should get it) but I feel like the more confidant I am about my qualifications the more nervous I become waiting.

Best of luck to you!  

1 hour ago, milliedaisy said:

Never forget the person who obviously trolled the Spain ETAs yesterday! Fingers crossed

It just sucks because they are "late" compared to previous years and I just found out my teaching schedule, so I'll need to know if I need to withdraw from that or not.

This is a bit late to be asking, but does anyone know if any research/study applicants to the Netherlands were interviewed?

Best of luck to everyone who is still enduring the wait!