Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

1 hour ago, BakuBoi said:

So what is this semifinalist part they added now? Is that for places with larger pools of applications or all countries now?  

For all countries! If you make it to round 2, you are a semi-finalist. A finalist wins the grant. 

Hello everyone! I'm new to gradafe and just found this thread - I applied to a research grant to Australia, to the new one that's based at Western Sydney U. Anyone else here who applied to one of the special programs (Anne Wexler, Nat Geo, etc.?)

The WSU grant is new this year and I was torn between applying to that or to the general grant... but the researchers I wanted to work with were at WSU I went for it.

Not sure if the award will be more or less competitive since its new? I noticed with Nat Geo they got a higher volume of applicants the first year but I'm thinking with this WSU grant it wasn't really publicized as much. On the down side I also know Australia is among the toughest places to get a research grant (7% acceptance rate or something like that) so I'm not holding my breath. And, Australia doesn't have a track record of awarding creative research grants ... ugh. Is anyone else having this ongoing conversation with themselves in their head lately? 

38 minutes ago, Birdz said:

Hello everyone! I'm new to gradafe and just found this thread - I applied to a research grant to Australia, to the new one that's based at Western Sydney U. Anyone else here who applied to one of the special programs (Anne Wexler, Nat Geo, etc.?)

The WSU grant is new this year and I was torn between applying to that or to the general grant... but the researchers I wanted to work with were at WSU I went for it.

Not sure if the award will be more or less competitive since its new? I noticed with Nat Geo they got a higher volume of applicants the first year but I'm thinking with this WSU grant it wasn't really publicized as much. On the down side I also know Australia is among the toughest places to get a research grant (7% acceptance rate or something like that) so I'm not holding my breath. And, Australia doesn't have a track record of awarding creative research grants ... ugh. Is anyone else having this ongoing conversation with themselves in their head lately? 

? I think that has been everyone lately especially being so close to the first round. It isnt necessarily the acceptance rate for my country that I am worried about. China's a bit high for the research students. But I am worried whether or not my topic is a bit too controversial. how ever looking at past public health projects I feel somewhat better about it? 

Edited by hobakie

12 hours ago, Birdz said:

Fun fact: the Fulbright at large really wants more creative projects, so do not fear!

Does anyone know what the dates for the pre-orientation in D.C have been for the past few years ? are they typically the same ? I am considering some workshop/job opportunities but I'm nervous about making plans in June (last year was June 9th for my region) and then having the pre-departure orientation end up the same date. Also, does anyone know how strict they are about those orientations if you can't make it ? The ole' might get the Fulbright how do I plan my future in the case I don't get it' dilemma...

16 hours ago, Photogeographic said:

Does anyone know what the dates for the pre-orientation in D.C have been for the past few years ? are they typically the same ? I am considering some workshop/job opportunities but I'm nervous about making plans in June (last year was June 9th for my region) and then having the pre-departure orientation end up the same date. Also, does anyone know how strict they are about those orientations if you can't make it ? The ole' might get the Fulbright how do I plan my future in the case I don't get it' dilemma...

Orientations are by region, and ETAs arrive a day before the research grantees and scholars. North Africa and the Middle East had their orientation from June 15th (the 14th for the ETAs) to June 17th. I am not 100% sure, but I believe that the Southeast Asia region also had their orientation the same week. 

Fulbright does let you miss if you have a legitimate reason to do so. You have to fill out paperwork and get it approved. 

Good luck!

We are hopefully about a month away from hearing back. Before we are overrun with emotions, I was curious if other people felt like they gained something just from the application process.

I certainly feel like it challenged me as a writer and as a researcher. I came away with a much better understanding of what I wanted to study/research and why it was important to me, my field, and the world. What about you all?

On 12/12/2016 at 9:41 AM, Horb said:

We are hopefully about a month away from hearing back. Before we are overrun with emotions, I was curious if other people felt like they gained something just from the application process.

I certainly feel like it challenged me as a writer and as a researcher. I came away with a much better understanding of what I wanted to study/research and why it was important to me, my field, and the world. What about you all?

If anything, I learned how to write a compelling personal statement with a cohesive theme! (Or at least I thought it was compelling at the time haha). Unfortunately, it's a little too specific to my project/country for me to use it for graduate school applications, but I agree that the application process was helpful in and of itself. It's not that I think I was a bad writer before, but I do think there's a difference between a standard "cookie cutter" personal statement and a meaningful one.

1 hour ago, cardinalowl said:

If anything, I learned how to write a compelling personal statement with a cohesive theme! (Or at least I thought it was compelling at the time haha). Unfortunately, it's a little too specific to my project/country for me to use it for graduate school applications, but I agree that the application process was helpful in and of itself. It's not that I think I was a bad writer before, but I do think there's a difference between a standard "cookie cutter" personal statement and a meaningful one.

Agreed! I saw the one I used two years ago. While thematically similar, this one was FAR more personal. I took more risks and am much more confident about my chances (so, like, maybe a 27% chance instead of a 25% chance?).

This forum eases my anxiety so much, knowing that I'm not the only one anxious over this process and waiting period. I applied for a research grant in Munich, Germany.

This is my first time applying for Fulbright. It was a bit of an ad hoc application, started in late summer, but I grew very attached to it. I think the most challenging part for me was switching from my practitioner mindset to a research mindset (I'm in a less research heavy graduate program). One of my evaluators during my campus evaluation really concerned me on my chances of winning over "researchers" who are evaluating my project. He pushed back a lot on having a practitioner background and going into research...

I've looked at the dates for semi-finalist selection over the last few years, and there is a good chance I'll actually be in Munich when I get the email. Hoping that brings me some good luck...

Exciting times, guys! Good luck to everyone. 

I was looking at the updated application statistics for my program (Spain ETA) and I noticed that their projected number of spots decreased from 123 to 92.  It does say that the number of acceptances is an estimate, but it still seems strange that they would estimate 30 fewer slots than the application originally stated.  On the Spain program description page, however, it still says 123.  Do any of you know if programs ever end out fewer grants than expected? 

1 hour ago, sammid said:

This forum eases my anxiety so much, knowing that I'm not the only one anxious over this process and waiting period. I applied for a research grant in Munich, Germany.

This is my first time applying for Fulbright. It was a bit of an ad hoc application, started in late summer, but I grew very attached to it. I think the most challenging part for me was switching from my practitioner mindset to a research mindset (I'm in a less research heavy graduate program). One of my evaluators during my campus evaluation really concerned me on my chances of winning over "researchers" who are evaluating my project. He pushed back a lot on having a practitioner background and going into research...

I've looked at the dates for semi-finalist selection over the last few years, and there is a good chance I'll actually be in Munich when I get the email. Hoping that brings me some good luck...

Exciting times, guys! Good luck to everyone. 

Good luck! I know we are technically in competition with each other, but I really hope you get it! Also, as you probably know, München is SUPER expensive. There are, however, ways to increase your living stipend (or so I've heard) if you can show how expensive your city is. So make sure to check that out when you win BECAUSE YOU WILL! I mean, having a completely new approach to research sounds like an amazing take on the grant.

2 minutes ago, Vegan Burrito said:

I was looking at the updated application statistics for my program (Spain ETA) and I noticed that their projected number of spots decreased from 123 to 92.  It does say that the number of acceptances is an estimate, but it still seems strange that they would estimate 30 fewer slots than the application originally stated.  On the Spain program description page, however, it still says 123.  Do any of you know if programs ever end out fewer grants than expected? 

They do! When I was applying to the UK, there were 2 grants posted in September. That dropped to one grant. 

15 hours ago, Vegan Burrito said:

Aren't those statistics from last year, though (2016-2017)? I think our application cycle is 2017-2018.

52 minutes ago, Vegan Burrito said:

No I think the 16-17 refers to the year of the application, so this cycle.

Actually, I think it is this cycle, as the numbers are projected.

On 12/2/2016 at 11:16 AM, Horb said:

Fun fact: the Fulbright at large really wants more creative projects, so do not fear!

How do you know they're looking for more creative projects? I applied with a creative writing proposal and I always fear that programs like this prioritize science projects over arts.

1 hour ago, describeblue said:

... I always fear that programs like this prioritize science projects over arts.

Is there a reason why? Fulbright is primarily a cultural exchange program, so to me that seems like that would lend itself to more artistic projects, as a broad swath science can be (arguably) done any well suited lab regardless of the country/location. (Maybe this is just me being overly concerned about how adequate my justification was for my host country.)

Edited by sat0ri

3 hours ago, sat0ri said:

Is there a reason why? Fulbright is primarily a cultural exchange program, so to me that seems like that would lend itself to more artistic projects, as a broad swath science can be (arguably) done any well suited lab regardless of the country/location. (Maybe this is just me being overly concerned about how adequate my justification was for my host country.)

Sometimes science proposals and other researched-based proposals can argue a sense of urgency that the arts cannot, and I think that sometimes gives them priority. For example, people studying the melting rate of glaciers in certain areas have a strong case on why they need to go to those areas as soon as possible. It totally depends on what the science and art proposals are, though. I'm sure yours is very compelling!

1 hour ago, describeblue said:

Sometimes science proposals and other researched-based proposals can argue a sense of urgency that the arts cannot, and I think that sometimes gives them priority. For example, people studying the melting rate of glaciers in certain areas have a strong case on why they need to go to those areas as soon as possible. It totally depends on what the science and art proposals are, though. I'm sure yours is very compelling!

Great answer, thanks!

7 hours ago, describeblue said:

How do you know they're looking for more creative projects? I applied with a creative writing proposal and I always fear that programs like this prioritize science projects over arts.

I spoke with my FPA about it. They never had a ton of arts/fine arts students. Now, this doesn't mean you can submit a bad proposal and win, but it does play a factor. As for sciences, it may be a bit easier to say: this prof works here and is the only one doing my research so I need to go there (or doing this technique, etc.) but that doesn't mean they are more likely to win.