Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

At least they generally seem to be doing the acceptances and rejections at roughly the same time ... DAAD has been sending them out randomly on totally different days, sometimes a few acceptances, sometimes a few rejections ...

7 minutes ago, maelia8 said:

At least they generally seem to be doing the acceptances and rejections at roughly the same time ... DAAD has been sending them out randomly on totally different days, sometimes a few acceptances, sometimes a few rejections ...

I'm starting to think about the possibility of NIH using the Fulbright commission to run some psych experiments on the applicants.

15 minutes ago, ibette said:

Thank you everyone, so surreal. I was just about to grade my students exams when I saw both e-mails (one from the Fulbright and one that CC'ed my FPA). Sending you guys good juju today for more notifications. 

CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS!

15 hours ago, cruxclaire said:

If you shot yourself in the foot, I might have as well. I kind of implicitly dissed the far-right RE: refugees in my application. The application was due in September, and at the time, it didn't seem controversial at all. My general sentiments are the same; just having an idea of what I will or won't be doing after graduation would make the idea of the future less daunting.

20 hours ago, Horb said:

idk. I've kinda of given up getting it. I shot myself in the foot discussing far-right politics, so I worry about final stages of approval and even just approval in general...At this point, I just want to know :)

Hi guys -- I actually wouldn't worry too much about this. I did a lot of State Dept Google searches when I was in waiting hell, and found the list of the Fulbright Board Members: https://eca.state.gov/fulbright/about-fulbright/j-william-fulbright-foreign-scholarship-board-ffsb/ffsb-members. Most of them appear to be holdovers from the Obama administration, or have leadership positions that would lead me to believe they are sympathetic to "leftist" issues. I've also read that it's extremely rare that the board will reject somebody who has been approved by the US screening committee and the commission in your country. There has to be a pretty glaring red flag, or an issue with your background check. Who knows, it may even prove to be the opposite situation -- many of the left-leaning board members might feel extra supportive of a project about refugees or far-right politics as their own small way of saying f**k you to the new administration. :) I wouldn't lose sleep over this, unless your project proposals had an antagonistic, militant activist tone, which I'm sure they didn't.

1 minute ago, ld4977 said:

Hi guys -- I actually wouldn't worry too much about this. I did a lot of State Dept Google searches when I was in waiting hell, and found the list of the Fulbright Board Members: https://eca.state.gov/fulbright/about-fulbright/j-william-fulbright-foreign-scholarship-board-ffsb/ffsb-members. Most of them appear to be holdovers from the Obama administration, or have leadership positions that would lead me to believe they are sympathetic to "leftist" issues. I've also read that it's extremely rare that the board will reject somebody who has been approved by the US screening committee and the commission in your country. There has to be a pretty glaring red flag, or an issue with your background check. Who knows, it may even prove to be the opposite situation -- many of the left-leaning board members might feel extra supportive of a project about refugees or far-right politics as their own small way of saying f**k you to the new administration. :) I wouldn't lose sleep over this, unless your project proposals had an antagonistic, militant activist tone, which I'm sure they didn't.

These were my thoughts too. However, the host country's Commission could potentially take issue with sensitive topics, depending on the political climate. 

3 minutes ago, theanine said:

These were my thoughts too. However, the host country's Commission could potentially take issue with sensitive topics, depending on the political climate. 

Totally true. However, I think those other posts were in reference to Trump's election (though maybe I'm wrong).

Yeah, I was thinking about changes in the political climate since Trump's election. IIRC I talked about the necessity of intercultural understanding in reference to the far-right hostility towards refugees in Germany (they've committed various acts of arson in and near refugee shelters).

In my statement of purpose I talked about one reason for choosing Bulgaria was because of the refugee crisis and disdain/fear of immigrants (they have about 85% Bulgarian ethnicity) - the Fulbright mission is one that supports understanding and cross cultural connections. That being said - unless you flat out insulted your country (or ours?) I think those reviewing our applications appreciate our willingness to help?

I totally might non-select and wrong though :|

9 minutes ago, jmhawkin24 said:

So about East-Asia Pacific...

I'm trying to be productive member of society today, but I'm literally losing my mind in my office cubical.  Heck, I'll be happy if at least one East-Asian country was announced today..

1 hour ago, milliedaisy said:

I can't explain the joy it brings me to witness all of your successes on this forum. This wait is excruciating but if nothing else, one perk of being notified late April is the happiness I get to watch until then! 

I couldn't agree more- and I was lucky to be notified on the early side. I really hesitated to become a part of this forum, but I am so glad I did. This is a lovely group of incredibly supportive CRAZY people trying to shake up our lives by engaging with people around the world! Way to think outside the box my partners-in-crime!!! Thanks for also being willing to enter into discussion just to wait with the rest of us for so long... 

Thinking of each of you today.

2 minutes ago, LibbyCreek said:

I couldn't agree more- and I was lucky to be notified on the early side. I really hesitated to become a part of this forum, but I am so glad I did. This is a lovely group of incredibly supportive CRAZY people trying to shake up our lives by engaging with people around the world! Way to think outside the box my partners-in-crime!!! Thanks for also being willing to enter into discussion just to wait with the rest of us for so long... 

Thinking of each of you today.

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

My department posted our internal research year fellowship application today, due April 6th ... but I refuse to fill it out until I hear back from Fulbright and DAAD. It would be so nice to instead email the dept. back saying "thanks, but I already got external funding so no need to compete with my peers!"