jenrd

Fulbright 2017-2018

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, milliedaisy said:

FYI South Africa notified me of being not selected.... trying to not be totally devastated. 

((HUGS)) sending you some love and wishing you more exciting things in store. This was my third attempt on going to my country of choice (second time for Fulbright) so I understand the how defeating it can be and I hope that you continue to pursue your project. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, minswho said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/01/18/president-obama-has-nominated-123-people-to-fill-administration-positions-this-year/?utm_term=.c4695339a5d4

Obama actually appointed 8 new members to the FFSB 2 days before he left office and basically filled up the board.

I'm personally not really worried about the FFSB but since the Department of State has been slowly filling up with Trump appointees, I kind of ended up getting worried about social media profiles? I ended up just checking over my privacy settings again and such. As for my application, it focused mostly on the subject of cultural exchange (and space exploration) rather than politics so I'm not quite worried about that either. I do briefly mention the problem of climate change but it just makes me  extremely sad that that even is something to worry about under this administration. 

I'm extremely concerned about Fulbright program being eliminated after this year but I'm sure we'll be stand up against that together.

My cover photo on my Facebook page from end of January to now has been a picture of me at the women's march! And nearly all my public posts are anti-Trump. Didn't seem to work against me. But I guess it's always better to be safe than sorry, and it's pretty easy to change privacy settings, so it can't hurt.

And actually the Fulbright program is one of the few State Dept. cultural programs that is saved in Trump's new budget (according to the WaPo -- https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-presidential-budget-2018-proposal/?utm_term=.5d922836f6d5). I was pretty surprised to see that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In terms of the politics thing...Maybe it's just because I'm older and slightly more established, but I am not interested in hiding my political stance on the current administration. If the Fulbright program becomes so politicized that an applicant's level of devotion to the president is a consideration, that's not a program I want to be part of anyway. It's one thing to be professional and relatively apolitical in your application and interviews (just as you would with a job) but my Facebook and Twitter pages remain staunchly opposed to the Trump administration. 

My project is also about global migration, and I did write briefly about the need for Fulbright projects to help humanize immigrants in a period of growing xenophobia. Again, if that disqualifies me, then it's not a program I want to join anyway.

Edited by mckenna81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... aaaaand that's another day without Germany either. At least now I'll probably get notified over Spring Break and can ugly cry all alone rather than in public on campus if necessary ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just wanted to say I applaud you all for your intentions in your grant to assist with refugee populations. As a teacher in an underserved community, I work with refugee and undocumented students everyday. Hearing their stories--and theyre journey--to the U.S. is heartbreaking. They have a special place in my heart for all the bs they have to go through. Thank you all <3

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chemteachersrule said:

just wanted to say I applaud you all for your intentions in your grant to assist with refugee populations. As a teacher in an underserved community, I work with refugee and undocumented students everyday. Hearing their stories--and theyre journey--to the U.S. is heartbreaking. They have a special place in my heart for all the bs they have to go through. Thank you all <3

 

I wish I could love this post a hundred times <3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, maelia8 said:

... aaaaand that's another day without Germany either. At least now I'll get notified over Spring Break and can ugly cry all alone rather than in public on campus if necessary ;)

I'm currently on my spring break and it's been driving me bonkers!! I have too much free time and not enough distractions :ph34r:

But yeah, I get the ugly cry thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question: looks like Mexico results went out today, but I didn't receive an email one way or the other. Are rejections/alternates usually sent out at the same time as acceptances? Did anyone else not get notified?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to pop in to say CONGRATULATIONS to all who have heard and GOOD LUCK to everyone still waiting! It's been so exciting/stressful to check up on you guys--I really hope all of you get it. Even if you weren't selected or are an alternate you have gotten SO FAR and you should be so proud of yourself!!!!!!!! I'm proud of you and I don't even know you. I keep running out of up arrows lol. 

Seeing how intense it's gotten after the first round has inspired me, though. I've decided to take up boxing or something before I reapply so I have an outlet for stress. 

PS I see there's another NZ applicant who's popped up on the sheet--I don't know who you are but I am rooting for you so hard!!!!!!! 

Edited by iDance
autocorrect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mckenna81 said:

In terms of the politics thing...Maybe it's just because I'm older and slightly more established, but I am not interested in hiding my political stance on the current administration. If the Fulbright program becomes so politicized that an applicant's level of devotion to the president is a consideration, that's not a program I want to be part of anyway. It's one thing to be professional and relatively apolitical in your application and interviews (just as you would with a job) but my Facebook and Twitter pages remain staunchly opposed to the Trump administration. 

My project is also about global migration, and I did write briefly about the need for Fulbright projects to help humanize immigrants in a period of growing xenophobia. Again, if that disqualifies me, then it's not a program I want to join anyway.

Yeh I completely agree. And during my UK interview, I expressed my opinions and concerns clearly and professionally.

I guess I just didn't want to take any chances until I was in a position to create a change.
As a naturalized US (Trump) citizen from Korea (Impeachment of Park) wanting to go to the UK (Brexit), I'm just hyper-sensitive about said issues at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stormtrooper1138 said:

Whelp...Another day no notification from the U.K...ugh

 

And with each passing day my descent into madness becomes more and more literal and less figurative. 

Chin up though, fellow UK applicants (and everyone else waiting!). Excruciating though it may be, we're all still in the running until told otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, elbarton said:

And with each passing day my descent into madness becomes more and more literal and less figurative. 

Chin up though, fellow UK applicants (and everyone else waiting!). Excruciating though it may be, we're all still in the running until told otherwise. 

 
 

I think I'm really losing it.  Before I left my desk I noticed a tweet congratulating someone on their uk fulbright award...it was the visiting scholars award given to professors.  I got really excited for a second thinking the decisions were out.

Edited by Dilemma1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hj2012 said:

 

Congratulations! Was this for research or ETA?

ETA!

 

2 hours ago, Gary Busey said:

Dos equis for you mr! Congratulations!

Thank you! And to everyone else who congratulated me, a huge thanks as well! There were definitely some happy tears.

I actually already accepted a job offer (since they have their own deadline) that I may or may not still be able to defer. Hopefully I can do both. We'll see!

Edited by Sarah1812

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dilemma1 said:

I think I'm really losing it.  Before I left my desk I noticed a tweet congratulating someone on their UK Fulbright award...it was the visiting scholars award given to professors.  I got really excited for a second thinking the decisions were out.

I hear that--I have notifications set in my browser for updates on this forum, and it's so surreal to wake up in the morning to a flurry of "bloops" for each post in this thread and then scramble to check my email to see if the UK news has finally hit, expecting every day to be the day now that we've passed the third Tuesday of March. Aaaahhhhhh...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sarah1812 said:

Mexico just emailed me! I got it!

47 minutes ago, hj2012 said:

Question: looks like Mexico results went out today, but I didn't receive an email one way or the other. Are rejections/alternates usually sent out at the same time as acceptances? Did anyone else not get notified?

@Sarah1812, Congratulations!! Would also love to know, research or ETA?

@hj2012, I applied for Mexico Research and haven't heard anything from them today. Maybe there's hope for us still!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sigwarz said:

Anyone know how many awards are available for UK?

Last year there were 44 awarded and the year before that 35.  From the statistics page on the Fulbright website only a few of the awards had applicants but no recipients: Fulbright/University of Oxford Clarendon Scholarship Award last year and Fulbright/University of St. Andrews Award in Arts & Humanities back in 2015.  I think the partnership awards are absolutely given out each year (Lancaster only had 2 applicants back in 2015 and seems like neither were selected).  I think close to 44 awards will be given out this year based on the last couple of years and what is on the US/UK Fulbright website.

 

Also, all of the partnership awards are for a single principal candidate for each partnership University, the only exception is the open award which has two winners.  Also you're only competing against those who applied for the same partnership, ie last year there were 13 applicants for Leicester, which was narrowed down to at least 3 semi-finalists which became 1 principal candidate and 2 alternates.

Edited by Dilemma1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now