Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

1 hour ago, Dilemma1 said:

Last year there were 44 awarded and the year before that 35.  From the statistics page on the Fulbright website only a few of the awards had applicants but no recipients: Fulbright/University of Oxford Clarendon Scholarship Award last year and Fulbright/University of St. Andrews Award in Arts & Humanities back in 2015.  I think the partnership awards are absolutely given out each year (Lancaster only had 2 applicants back in 2015 and seems like neither were selected).  I think close to 44 awards will be given out this year based on the last couple of years and what is on the US/UK Fulbright website.

Also, all of the partnership awards are for a single principal candidate for each partnership University, the only exception is the open award which has two winners.  Also you're only competing against those who applied for the same partnership, ie last year there were 13 applicants for Leicester, which was narrowed down to at least 3 semi-finalists which became 1 principal candidate and 2 alternates.

Thank you! 

41 minutes ago, Stormtrooper1138 said:

Alright I have a good feeling today is the day...

Fingers crossed! I'm trying to juggle offers from three different jobs, and aside from prolonging making a final answer, there's one (teaching) that would end essentially when I'd leave in August and fit this hypothetical timeline perfectly...

8 hours ago, Dilemma1 said:

Last year there were 44 awarded and the year before that 35.  From the statistics page on the Fulbright website only a few of the awards had applicants but no recipients: Fulbright/University of Oxford Clarendon Scholarship Award last year and Fulbright/University of St. Andrews Award in Arts & Humanities back in 2015.  I think the partnership awards are absolutely given out each year (Lancaster only had 2 applicants back in 2015 and seems like neither were selected).  I think close to 44 awards will be given out this year based on the last couple of years and what is on the US/UK Fulbright website.

Also, all of the partnership awards are for a single principal candidate for each partnership University, the only exception is the open award which has two winners.  Also you're only competing against those who applied for the same partnership, ie last year there were 13 applicants for Leicester, which was narrowed down to at least 3 semi-finalists which became 1 principal candidate and 2 alternates.

FYI, that's not necessarily how it works. When I applied to Leicester, I was a semi finalist and got not select. They definitely do select more people than principal and alternate positions allow. Also, I there's one partnership that offers more than one grant (I think Strathclyde or something like that). 

Edited by Horb
a word

9 hours ago, Dash123 said:

Been ten days since I was notified with the sinister (A). No word yet. Losing hope every day. (I've turned this into a diary)

It's been 10 days for me as well. I think it's super early for alternates. A lot of them hear back in late April. I've also seen a lot if Alternates hear back in June. Basically any time in the spring you might hear back. I think expecting an email or call anytime before late April is too early to lose hope. But I'm in your boat too. Trust me.

I got in touch with my country's Fulbright page from previous years and asked to hear from their alternates. They all told me they heard back very late. Like mid June late. 

Edit: I forget. We're you an alternate for the Fulbright Poland too? Poland generally notifies alternates in May-June from what I've found. 

Edited by AnnMarie

7 hours ago, sailcar said:

Hi all, I've been lurking for a little while. I'm a semifinalist for the Essex partnership. How do you know the info about Leicester and the 3 semifinalists? Do you think that pretty much everyone interviewed for the partnership awards will get either the principal or alternate designation? Hoping with everyone else for UK news this week.

I know who the woman who won it is (she's listed on the US/UK Fulbright site and I also contacted her back in January with questions about the interview) and I was one of the alternates last year and by luck I found a Western Kentucky University press release stating one of their students was an alternate for Leicester last year (and weirldy enough we both wanted to go into museum studies) there could have been as many as 4 or 5 put forward last year for the Leicester program but I haven't found anything to suggest this was the case.  This year I found two students from Ball State University who are semi-finalists for Leicester along with me (so at least 3 people this year as well).  It is possible to be chosen as NS even if interviewed (a post in the Fulbright forum from a few years ago said as much).  

4 minutes ago, Dilemma1 said:

I know who the woman who won it is (she's listed on the US/UK Fulbright site and I also contacted her back in January with questions about the interview) and I was one of the alternates last year and by luck I found a Western Kentucky University press release stating one of their students was an alternate for Leicester last year (and weirldy enough we both wanted to go into museum studies) there could have been as many as 4 or 5 put forward last year for the Leicester program but I haven't found anything to suggest this was the case.  This year I found two students from Ball State University who are semi-finalists for Leicester along with me (so at least 3 people this year as well).  It is possible to be chosen as NS even if interviewed (a post in the Fulbright forum from a few years ago said as much).  

That post was probably me! I was interviewed but received NS for Leicester.

1 hour ago, Horb said:

FYI, that's not necessarily how it works. When I applied to Leicester, I was a semi finalist and got on select. They definitely do select more people than principal and alternate positions allow. Also, I there's one partnership that offers more than one grant (I think Strathclyde or something like that). 

Excellent point!  The non-select are harder to find out about because there's never a press release, we just have the individuals on this forum who share their info (which is incredibly helpful!).  Thanks for all your insight into Leicester and the UK Fulbright process.  It has been invaluable :)   

11 hours ago, Dash123 said:

Been ten days since I was notified with the sinister (A). No word yet. Losing hope every day. (I've turned this into a diary)

What's your back up plan? I'm trying to think of things that I will do if I don't get it and having a career/place I can picture myself in that isn't the Fulbright helps!

8 minutes ago, maelia8 said:

Just got notified - I got the research Fulbright to Germany!!!!!! Best possible news to wake up to here on the West coast <3 SO HAPPY!

2 minutes ago, Horb said:

I GOT IT OMG I AM DYING!

Congrats to the both of you! So well deserved! :D

17 hours ago, mckenna81 said:

In terms of the politics thing...Maybe it's just because I'm older and slightly more established, but I am not interested in hiding my political stance on the current administration. If the Fulbright program becomes so politicized that an applicant's level of devotion to the president is a consideration, that's not a program I want to be part of anyway. It's one thing to be professional and relatively apolitical in your application and interviews (just as you would with a job) but my Facebook and Twitter pages remain staunchly opposed to the Trump administration. 

My project is also about global migration, and I did write briefly about the need for Fulbright projects to help humanize immigrants in a period of growing xenophobia. Again, if that disqualifies me, then it's not a program I want to join anyway.

Thank you for this post! I think you've made some great points. If condemning the dehumanization of refugees is too controversial for the program, then maybe it's the wrong program. It wasn't even my intention to be political on my application. I think the refugee question is a question of human rights. I have great respect for the German government for treating it as such. 

And it's also true that it would take little more than a quick glance at my social media pages to see that I'm loudly anti-Trump as well. 

Just heard about Germany -- unfortunately I wasn't awarded a grant.  Best wishes to all those awarded a research grant to Germany today, however! :)

Edited by Cembalo

8 minutes ago, maelia8 said:

@Horb Congratulations! It's been a long road for us but we both made it!! Couldn't be happier for you ;)

Woah woah!! Congrats to both of y'all! I'm still waiting on ETA :o . Herzliche Glückwünsche!!!

Congratulations to everyone who has heard so far!  Don't forget to update your info on the spreadsheet!  Let's help pay it forward to future applicants so they can benefit from the info just like we did :) 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AlU2xDiiVhQjK3quPy6qXJuhgXYghzzG8L4YNT0unX0/edit#gid=929221519