Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

Nope, @amadeustx :( I'm in the same boat. Based on previous years, it's likely that we'll have to wait at least a few more days before ETA notifies. However, they have had a few years where they send out emails the day of or the day after, so it's not completely ruled out that we could hear back sooner than expected!

Germany and UK notified--that's an exciting day! Congrats to all and sorry to the UK alternates. The UK acceptance stats are extremely daunting.

For anyone who was designated as an alternate: do you plan on listing this in your CV? I've stumbled across someone's Linked In account who listed themselves as a Rhodes Scholar Alternate. Of course these two scholarships are different and it might depend on individual circumstance, but I'd be interested to hear opinions.

Edited by sat0ri

22 minutes ago, sat0ri said:

Germany and UK notified--that's an exciting day! Congrats to all and sorry to the UK alternates. The UK acceptance stats are extremely daunting.

For anyone who was designated as an alternate: do you plan on listing this in your CV? I've stumbled across someone's Linked In account who listed themselves as a Rhodes Scholar Alternate. Of course these two scholarships are different and it might depend on individual circumstance, but I'd be interested to hear opinions.

I was an ETA grantee to Turkey last year, and they suspended the program before it even begun, and I was told by multiple people not to include it on my own CV. 

30 minutes ago, sat0ri said:

Yes. Put it on your resume. I have a few professors that were alternates for big grants that listed it on their CV. It's an accomplishment and makes you stand out. Academics do it.

On another fun note, I also found out your college advisors list your achievements on their CV. If you are awarded a grant or become an alternate, they list you on their achievements because it makes them s more competitive professor/advisor. They have to have been the one that advised you through college, though. So my advisor now has me posted on her CV as a Fulbright alternate.

Edited by AnnMarie

33 minutes ago, sat0ri said:

Absolutely put it on your resume. It's a BFD. Particularly if it's an academic CV, or an application to graduate school, it should be there. 

17 minutes ago, ACF said:

I was an ETA grantee to Turkey last year, and they suspended the program before it even begun, and I was told by multiple people not to include it on my own CV. 

You should DEFINITELY put this on your resume. You weren't an alternate - you were the recipient of a Fulbright award. You could always list as "Fulbright Grant, 2016-2017 (program cancelled)." 

2 hours ago, jmhawkin24 said:

East-Asia Pacific just faded into the background haha - every other region has been notified

for real!!! im waiting for Indonesia...last year they notified on the 22nd so i was being extra hopeful today 

still have some time left tho

1 minute ago, mckenna81 said:

You should DEFINITELY put this on your resume. You weren't an alternate - you were the recipient of a Fulbright award. You could always list as "Fulbright Grant, 2016-2017 (program cancelled)." 

I'm glad to know others' take on this! I thought it was odd when I was advised not too--but the idea of putting it there still feels wrong, since I didn't have the opportunity to complete the award. 

54 minutes ago, sat0ri said:

I put my alternate status on my LinkedIn account last year and I plan to do the same this year!  I think it's an accomplishment to be proud of :) 

Edited by Dilemma1

4 minutes ago, Dilemma1 said:

I put last year's alternate on my LinkedIn account and I plan to do the same this year!  I think it's an accomplishment to be proud of :) 

Definitely! I even put my Semi-Finalist status on my resume in 2015! 

2 hours ago, eloise94 said:

@maelia8 @Horb @Herbie I am going to Germany (Berlin) for research as well! First post here - I've been lurking for a while and this seems like such a great community. What are your research/study plans? CONGRATS (and sending good vibes to all those with (A) status!) 

Same here! So excited to see so many Germany/Berlin research people on here! Would love to know what you all will be doing:)

I will be with the Institut für Zeitgeschichte and various memorials in Berlin, studying the funding behind Memorialization. So excited for everyone, and thankful for all the support this groups has shown! Wishing the ETAs all the luck!

33 minutes ago, afdp said:

Same here! So excited to see so many Germany/Berlin research people on here! Would love to know what you all will be doing:)

I will be with the Institut für Zeitgeschichte and various memorials in Berlin, studying the funding behind Memorialization. So excited for everyone, and thankful for all the support this groups has shown! Wishing the ETAs all the luck!

!!!! 

I'm writing my thesis for college on the Jewish Museum Berlin and I'm looking at a lot at memorials in Germany and how they represent the Holocaust. A year to study that would be so cool! I hope it's fruitful for you!

2 hours ago, maelia8 said:

I'm trying to remember how it all worked back then in 2012 ... pretty sure it was all electronic by then. My records indicate a fillable PDF and the necessity to get and signed and scanned bill of health verified by a physician.

I meant more like a letter stipulating the award amount and terms

Hi all,

Follower of this thread for months now, and have joined ranks of the endless waiting that is Alternate.

Does anyone know of any data of how many alternates are named?  I'm sure it depends on the country, but any information would be greatly appreciated.

Congratulations everyone, no matter the outcome, for getting through this process!

1 hour ago, afdp said:

@afdp awesome, good luck to you! I think I'll create a private message thread for all of us headed to Berlin for research to discuss moving, planning, and possibly meeting up ;)

34 minutes ago, Horb said:

I meant more like a letter stipulating the award amount and terms

Just checked, last time I got that stuff on May 3rd - it was a list of points indicating rights and responsibilities ("Rechte u. Pflichten").

Those who must choose between several fellowship offers—follow the money or the Fulbright name & network? I got in touch with a former Fulbrighter from my host country to find out more about stipend amounts. I'd be getting an extra $400 dollars per month if I declined the FB in favor of an institutional grant (designed for graduating seniors).  

Edited by caeiro

Congrats @Horb , @Herbie, and @maelia8 !! And the UK individuals! Right now I am on a plane on my way to SF but it makes me so incredibly happy to see all of the success today!

I remember being here in 2013 with @Horb enduring the same friggin' waiting process. And like I said, this was my third time applying to go to my institution (a process of three years to get this right, 2 Fulbrights and 1 Carnegie Mellon IDRF). For any of you NS who still have another shot, please persist and apply again if you can. Every application I made helped me get closer to the end goal and I really learned something new after each process. Standing with you guys today!

Anyone else waiting on East Asia-Pacific and want to vent? I've been silently stalking this forum for awhile but it's gotten to the point where I just need an outlet for this stress!!! So confused about the previous notification dates, they seem all over the board, and Australia is the only one from our region that's been notified. Is it true that they are trying to notify everyone by April 1st, or was that just a hopeful rumor? 

CONGRATS to everyone who has received good news, and for those who haven't, I'm so sorry-- I hope you will continue to work towards your goal, whether it is a project or teaching. 

1 minute ago, gorilla_queen said:

Anyone else waiting on East Asia-Pacific and want to vent? I've been silently stalking this forum for awhile but it's gotten to the point where I just need an outlet for this stress!!! So confused about the previous notification dates, they seem all over the board, and Australia is the only one from our region that's been notified. Is it true that they are trying to notify everyone by April 1st, or was that just a hopeful rumor? 

CONGRATS to everyone who has received good news, and for those who haven't, I'm so sorry-- I hope you will continue to work towards your goal, whether it is a project or teaching. 

I currently cracking open a wine bottle. I'm so over this wait for East Asia.