Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

9 hours ago, jango102 said:

Has anyone who applied for the Switzerland research Fulbright heard back about the second stage application? The Fulbright website (as well as the Swiss scholarship website) said that people who made it past the first round would have to fill out an additional application for the Swiss committee in December but I haven't received any notification of that, whether acceptance or rejection.

There's a guy in my year who applied to Switzerland. He received the request. I'm not sure if requests runs into January though. I know they meet in November/early December to select people, but idk how long it takes to sort out the selections on the admin front. 

13 hours ago, BakuBoi said:

What would the best way be to change the primary email you put down in your application to the alternate one? Thanks and a happy new year everyone!

Are you applying via your undergrad/grad institution or at large? If through an institution, I would ask your FPA. I had to do this before submitting and contacted embark, who changed it for me; however, I'm not sure if, since the deadline passed, that would work. My guess is you could contact the Embark support team and the person in charge of your country/region and ask them what is best. They are all really nice!

On 1/2/2017 at 6:30 AM, Horb said:

There's a guy in my year who applied to Switzerland. He received the request. I'm not sure if requests runs into January though. I know they meet in November/early December to select people, but idk how long it takes to sort out the selections on the admin front. 

Do you know if he received the request by email or by mail?

8 hours ago, jango102 said:

Do you know if he received the request by email or by mail?

It was by email. But again, I'm not a Fulbright employee, so idk if they do it in rounds or not.

15 hours ago, Jess2323 said:

I figured I would finally join the convo since decisions are coming out soon and I am freaking out! I applied to for the ETA in Bulgaria!

Welcome to the mayhem :)

21 hours ago, Jess2323 said:

I figured I would finally join the convo since decisions are coming out soon and I am freaking out! I applied to for the ETA in Bulgaria!

I applied for ETA in Bulgaria, too!

5 minutes ago, Jess2323 said:

YAY!

My prediction is for 1/19 - I think they previously posted on Thursday afternoons? BUT after sifting through last years forum, they were super delayed and I am not getting my hopes up!

What do you mean by delayed? In 2014 they were released on 1/28, which is late, but the last two years it has been firmly mid-January.

Hey All,

I applied for an ETA to the Czech Republic. It's one of those uncommon languages and the're no country language requirement, except that they recommend a working knowledge by the time you go. (I was torn between applying to Czechia and Spain because I know some Spanish but decided I wasn't proficient enough to be competitive in Spain and my interest in Czech culture is greater).

My question is: When do you think would be an appropriate time to start learning the language? It's obviously a big commitment to learn such an obscure language and if I don't get the award I probably will need to focus on things other than hobby linguism unfortunately . Originally my plan was to start seriously studying if my application were successful and I'm notified that I've won the award. However, now I realize that if I'm notified some time in late spring, that probably wouldn't be enough time to make any significant language strides before the grant would start (again, assuming I make it that far!). But it sure would suck to start studying in January only to find out a few months later that you aren't a finalist, and you've wasted all these weeks studying something you wont be able to use!

For others applying with minimal knowledge of the language, are you guys planning to start studying in January if you make it as a semi-finalist? Or wait longer? Or have you already started? (open to suggestions from anyone of course)

Thanks guys and best of luck as we get closer to the first round here!

- Dash ;) 

8 hours ago, Dash123 said:

Hey All,

I applied for an ETA to the Czech Republic. It's one of those uncommon languages and the're no country language requirement, except that they recommend a working knowledge by the time you go. (I was torn between applying to Czechia and Spain because I know some Spanish but decided I wasn't proficient enough to be competitive in Spain and my interest in Czech culture is greater).

My question is: When do you think would be an appropriate time to start learning the language? It's obviously a big commitment to learn such an obscure language and if I don't get the award I probably will need to focus on things other than hobby linguism unfortunately . Originally my plan was to start seriously studying if my application were successful and I'm notified that I've won the award. However, now I realize that if I'm notified some time in late spring, that probably wouldn't be enough time to make any significant language strides before the grant would start (again, assuming I make it that far!). But it sure would suck to start studying in January only to find out a few months later that you aren't a finalist, and you've wasted all these weeks studying something you wont be able to use!

For others applying with minimal knowledge of the language, are you guys planning to start studying in January if you make it as a semi-finalist? Or wait longer? Or have you already started? (open to suggestions from anyone of course)

Thanks guys and best of luck as we get closer to the first round here!

- Dash ;) 

So, I'm a bit of snob when it comes to stuff like this. I don't understand how learning a language would be a waste of time, especially if you are interested in Czech culture. I also view an application to Fulbright, in which they highly recommend language prep, to be an agreement to learn the necessary language. So for me, you should be studying/start studying. It wouldn't be a waste and when you win the Fulbright (BECAUSE YOU WILL. FULBRIGHTS FOR ALL), you'll feel WAY better about going abroad.

That said, I recognize that not everyone has the time or money or energy to invest into language learning when it isn't sure thing and as yours isn't required for the project, I am less of a snob. I would say wait until you hear about round 1. If you are a semi-finalist, then I would download something like Anki or another flashcard app and study basic vocab. I'd also pick up a grammar book and start studying grammar.

As an ETA, I imagine your main use of the language is speaking/listening, with reading for things like contracts, signs, etc. So I would recommend doing something like italki, an online language learning platform. I use it for German practice, but they have teachers and language partners for Czech. (I'm happy to talk about italki more, but I don't want to seem like an ad for them). However, you might want to wait on italki or paying for prep until you're sure you got the Fulbright. If you devote 4 or months (May, June, July, August), you should be able to get to basic levels of comprehension (A1 or A2), depending on the effort you put in and your natural ability to learn a language.

Hope this helps!

Yeah I know - in theory, I agree that learning the language is a commitment to something that could never be a waste. Unfortunately, it's also a BIG commitment (and privilege) for a working adult trying to pay rent, and one that isn't logical if I won't have the opportunity to go to the Czech Republic with a funded grant. For me, the language learning PROCESS isn't fun or a passion - it's the application of that language that makes it worth it. And sadly I wouldn't be able to afford a trip to central Europe on my own (at least for the next few years) to actually use the language. It's not like Spanish, which is common in the States and something that could be maintained. 

If I am going to the country, I'm fully prepared to put in the time and effort. But if not, I'd honestly rather be putting that sparse free time and effort into the gym, photography, spending time with my boyfriend, etc.

Thanks for the Italki tip - I'll look into it! I've got a number of language learning platforms lined up, but it's a bitch and a half trying to find quality Czech resources.

- Dash

1 hour ago, Dash123 said:

Yeah I know - in theory, I agree that learning the language is a commitment to something that could never be a waste. Unfortunately, it's also a BIG commitment (and privilege) for a working adult trying to pay rent, and one that isn't logical if I won't have the opportunity to go to the Czech Republic with a funded grant. For me, the language learning PROCESS isn't fun or a passion - it's the application of that language that makes it worth it. And sadly I wouldn't be able to afford a trip to central Europe on my own (at least for the next few years) to actually use the language. It's not like Spanish, which is common in the States and something that could be maintained. 

If I am going to the country, I'm fully prepared to put in the time and effort. But if not, I'd honestly rather be putting that sparse free time and effort into the gym, photography, spending time with my boyfriend, etc.

Thanks for the Italki tip - I'll look into it! I've got a number of language learning platforms lined up, but it's a bitch and a half trying to find quality Czech resources.

- Dash

In the past when I had previously applied I had hired language tutors, I also felt at first like it was a waste of money after I was eventually rejected. But oddly enough ended up being able to use the little I learned later in life. And I like languages so after I got over being rejected I didn't regret dedicating the time or money to learning something knew. 

With that said, even after having spent time and money learning languages and not getting the grant... I have started a little bit of pre-language learning with apps for this current application. I have identified a tutor and will hopefully start online tutoring/language prep if I make it to the next step. I would have started sooner actually but haven't been able to work it into my schedule. Also, some countries will do interviews before the final decision, I'm hoping to know the basic's in case I have to do an interview after January. 

also side note I'm kinda surprised how quiet this forum is this year. In the past years, I feel like there are a lot more people posting. I wonder if less people know about the forum this time around/application cycle. 

2 hours ago, Dash123 said:

- Dash

Same! I'm applying to Albania for a research grant and currently don't know any Albanian.

I think it's kind of a personal judgment. Learning a language is always a plus, but, like you, as a full-time working adult, I don't have the time, energy, or money to commit to something I that I may or may not ever use. Depending on when the Czech ETA program starts, you may have enough time to get a basic understanding under your belt if you commit for a couple of months (that's my plan, anyway. The Albanian program doesn't start until October). I think if you can start learning a little now, excellent. If not, I wouldn't worry about it. 

4 hours ago, Dash123 said:

- Dash

I am also working adult (I work about 12 hours a day 6 days a week) and use italki because of the flexibility in scheduling and the low cost. 

I'm looking at iTalki now - looks like most tutors go for about 13-22 bucks an hour? I'm sure you make a nice sum with your 12 hour/6 day work schedge but I wouldn't quantify that as "low cost" personally haha. Not with student loans and medical bills. Seems like a good tool though - I'll for sure keep it in mind for when things get closer 

thx

2 hours ago, Dash123 said:

I'm looking at iTalki now - looks like most tutors go for about 13-22 bucks an hour? I'm sure you make a nice sum with your 12 hour/6 day work schedge but I wouldn't quantify that as "low cost" personally haha. Not with student loans and medical bills. Seems like a good tool though - I'll for sure keep it in mind for when things get closer 

thx

You could also try apps like Semper, Memrise or Duolingo to supplement any kind of other training or education you're receiving.  At the very least they may help with vocab!  

12 hours ago, Dash123 said:

thx

I'm a graduate student, actually, with a second job, so I make almost nothing :) And I have student loans too. It just takes budgeting skills, which took me a while to work on. But yeah, not everyone can afford the $13 a couple times a week or even once a week. I get that. 

Editing to add: They have free language partners, so they won't teach you, but you can chat with them for free! 

Edited by Horb