Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

38 minutes ago, Tera said:

Oh no, Naz buddy!!!! :( I was hoping you'd get it! I hope at least one person from Naz gets theirs... Best of luck on the rest of your semester! 

Ughhhhhh looking like another weekend without knowing what my life will look like come July. I was supposed to hear today about a job I interviewed for last week - no word from them, either. The only thing I know for sure so far is that my lease ends on June 30...

I go to Truman, a small state school in Missouri, and of our 9 ETA semifinalists, 8 of us are finalists and the 9th is an alternate! We are all overjoyed and can't believe our good luck! 

FOUR to Spain (including me), one to South Africa, one to Korea, one to Georgia, one to Nepal, and an alternate for Colombia. I'm a very proud Bulldog today! 

2 hours ago, catsbloom said:

It's okay, we will still be rocking it this year with whatever endeavors we decide to do!! :) I'm just glad I have a plan B, but holy cow the amount of paperwork is CRAZY. 

Congrats to all finalists, and best of luck to those still waiting to hear back! You guys are amazing <3 

Netherlands ETA just announced!!!! Happy I am home from work because I really wasn't ready for that and the weird shriek I emitted that may have alarmed other people. Also SOOO glad that waiting game is over.

Edited by yoh_rrg

33 minutes ago, yoh_rrg said:

Netherlands ETA just announced!!!! Happy I am home from work because I really wasn't ready for that and the weird shriek I emitted that may have alarmed other people. Also SOOO glad that waiting game is over.

Yay!! So happy to see this -- not fair that they made you wait so long after announcing research! Did they give you your location placement? Luckily the NL is so small that wherever you are won't be too far from civilization. Look forward to meeting you! :) 

Hi everyone! So I've been lurking on this forum for a little while, thought I'd come out of the shadows.

I got the dreaded (A) for an ETA in Bulgaria, but I'm not giving up yet! I'm so sorry to everyone that didn't make it this round and CONGRATULATIONS to those accepted!! 

Thank you all for being so kind and supportive to each other. It's so refreshing to see so much positivity on the Internet, especially in a competitive setting like this. This forum got me through all this, for real.

You all are rock stars and I wish you the best of luck! 

@catsbloom @Tera @Jess2323 @lightaheadi and whoever I'm missing, you are all worthy and excellent in your own ways and I'm proud of us! 

Edited by JAvS

6 hours ago, mckenna81 said:

Ughhhhhh looking like another weekend without knowing what my life will look like come July. I was supposed to hear today about a job I interviewed for last week - no word from them, either. The only thing I know for sure so far is that my lease ends on June 30...

I feel you! 

Maybe someone already asked this, but ETAs, what made you apply to your specific country? 

I assume research grants let the research lead the location in part, but if you didn't have that anchoring your application, why'd you chose to try to go live somewhere? 

I chose Malaysia after my research project for Nepal was not pulling together. My choice was very, very random, but the more I dug into what it'd be like to live there, the more I felt like it fit me. I was initially looking for ETA positions without a language requirement or that required French, and Malaysia fit the bill. Then I looked into KL's growing art scene, the structure of the program, and other things that took me from "well, it's not the grant I wanted to Nepal...." to "this is actually perfect for me and my life's ambition

What's your story? 

1 hour ago, aheather said:

Maybe someone already asked this, but ETAs, what made you apply to your specific country? 

I assume research grants let the research lead the location in part, but if you didn't have that anchoring your application, why'd you chose to try to go live somewhere? 

I chose Malaysia after my research project for Nepal was not pulling together. My choice was very, very random, but the more I dug into what it'd be like to live there, the more I felt like it fit me. I was initially looking for ETA positions without a language requirement or that required French, and Malaysia fit the bill. Then I looked into KL's growing art scene, the structure of the program, and other things that took me from "well, it's not the grant I wanted to Nepal...." to "this is actually perfect for me and my life's ambition

What's your story? 

I chose an ETA to Germany :)

In high school, I took an exchange student. I was hoping to get one from France (as I was studying French at the time).  But guess where he was from? Germany! He lived with us for a whole year, and watching him assimilate into American culture was really a one of a kind experience. He made awkward cultural mistakes and talked a lot about crime fiction (Germans love their "Krimis"). When he left back home to Germany, I felt it was my turn to go see what it was like in his country. I saved my money and taught myself basic German for a few months. I stayed with his family in a small village where many people where a bit older than I was, and didn't speak much English. Oh man, I made so many mistakes! Just like my exchange student did. For me, it was the wonderfully abrupt culture change combined with the beautiful hearted people of that city, that made me decide..screw French (no offense to French learners. It's a beautiful language too!). I pursued German in college and studied it full heartedly, promising myself I would speak German "perfectly" when I went back. After 7 semesters of German, I felt pretty armed with extensive vocabulary, yet the moment I stepped off the bullet train, I got off on the wrong platform. The feeling of being able to communicate in a foreign language with the people of that culture is very fulfilling to me. I finished my undergrad 2 years ago and ended up in finance. I've been in a rut, jumping from job to job ever since, hoping that the right thing would come along. I decided to do the "follow your heart" thing and apply for an ETA in Germany. I'm not passionate about research as I am languages so I figured an ETA is more practical for me, personally. 

Thank you for sharing your story, what is it about the art scene there that appeals to you? I also love art!

3 hours ago, aheather said:

What's your story? 

I chose Indonesia because I got a CLS there last summer. There's no language requirement but I figured I would be more competitive already having a functional grasp of the language. I also didn't exactly fall in love with Indonesia when I went there. I had the worst culture shock of my life. But I also felt learning to navigate the pretty extreme cultural differences made me a better person. There's also very little opportunities to study Indonesian outside of an immersion environment. There aren't good books on it according to my teachers so I'd like to improve my Indonesian.

things I do love: the landscapes, how much people smile there, their sense of humor, their approach to story telling, how concerned they are for others, the juice

things that make it challenging: being treated like an object, photographs, lack of privacy (I have so many stories about that)

But that's not a pros/cons list, the challenges add to why I chose it

Okay so I know this is kind of a dumb and premature question, but for accepted people: how does it work for accepting the award? Are there any immediate next steps? I know there are the forms you have to submit, but it doesn't seem like there's a very clear timeline. Congrats to everyone who's found out and good luck to all waiting and making new plans!

7 minutes ago, eliza.e.campbell said:

Okay so I know this is kind of a dumb and premature question, but for accepted people: how does it work for accepting the award? Are there any immediate next steps? I know there are the forms you have to submit, but it doesn't seem like there's a very clear timeline. Congrats to everyone who's found out and good luck to all waiting and making new plans!

I would also be interested to learn this. So far, I have uploaded my proof of citizenship, the terms and conditions form, and my medical form which are, I believe, the only things you can do before getting the authorization form/ financial form. I guess just wait for an email?