Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

14 hours ago, Photogeographic said:

Ugh a bit late to this. You guys I've applied for this damn thing 5 times ..been a semifinalist 3 times and just received my 5th NS. ?

For those who are alternate and finalist feel so proud because I am so proud of you. 

Good luck to everyone in waiting. If anyone has other funding suggestions to Indonesia I would love ideas! 

As for me I think I'm done trying for a while. Can't even possibly fathom going through this process again. Mehhhhh

This one hurt me! When I first applied I didn't even make semi-finalist status. I am not sure at what stage you are (in grad school, masters, etc), but I applied to the Mellin IDRF grant to see if I could complete my dissertation abroad when I took a year off from the Fulbright process. Also, it seems like you have no trouble getting past the US round but you're getting stuck in the country of your choice. Does your project have any part of it that might be controversial or might be hard/critical on the country you applied? Also, have there been any projects that are similar in line to yours that have been done in the past? That's something that I've learned from the webinars and my university's FPA. They mentioned for the research award that when people don't pass the US round it could be a combination of methodological concerns in the project, professional qualifications, and/or issues with the affiliation letter. However, when it's the in-country selection, US is kind of in the dark and can't really know why the projects would not go through but usually because there may be sensitive issues associated with the project or there are other type of needs the country wants to focus on. I am not sure if any of this is helpful but I just wanted to let you know that you totally passed the hardest clearance (US level) in the process. 

Edited by ibette

21 hours ago, Dash123 said:

I'm totally fine with all the application work; it's the references that I hate. It's so embarrassing for me to ask for favors especially as I get further away from college and fuzzier in the minds of people writing me recs. 

There are two things to know that maybe (hopefully?) will make you feel at least moderately better about letters of rec:

1. Professors do genuinely view this as part of their job. This is not a favor they are doing for you - this is part of what they are being paid for. I'm an instructor, not a tenure track professor, and even I view writing letters of rec as part of my job. It's never a burden. In fact, I had one student ask me for a letter with a one day turn-around because he just found out about a scholarship, and I got it done. It's karma for all the letters we've had written for us.

2. I assure you that your writers are not writing new letters every time. They are pulling up the file from the last time they wrote it, tinkering with it for a bit and then sending it on. Once you've requested a letter from them the first time, the subsequent requests are probably taking them 10 minutes, tops. Again, you're not a burden. 

Hi all, thanks so much for the community around this madness.

I was awarded a research grant and my affiliates (university professors) have not responded to me (been about a week now) to an email simply informing them of the news. They also didn't reply when I sent a similar email about my semi-finalist status back in January. This is perplexing because they were more than happy to help with the affiliation letter and read my proposal thoroughly, made suggestions, etc. back when I was applying. All of the email addresses are the same ones used to correspond with each other, and as far as I know, they are both still on faculty.

Can anyone shed light to whether my reward might be revoked if affiliations back out, and whether I can replace my affiliate if they do, etc. etc.? I'm worried!

15 minutes ago, pyros said:

Hi all, thanks so much for the community around this madness.

I was awarded a research grant and my affiliates (university professors) have not responded to me (been about a week now) to an email simply informing them of the news. They also didn't reply when I sent a similar email about my semi-finalist status back in January. This is perplexing because they were more than happy to help with the affiliation letter and read my proposal thoroughly, made suggestions, etc. back when I was applying. All of the email addresses are the same ones used to correspond with each other, and as far as I know, they are both still on faculty.

Can anyone shed light to whether my reward might be revoked if affiliations back out, and whether I can replace my affiliate if they do, etc. etc.? I'm worried!

I believe you are able to. I am a research candidate for China and when we were submitting semi-finalist paperwork they told us to simply inform them if our affiliates have changed so they can switch the paperwork. I do not believe this is uncommon unfortunately. First try to get into contact with your affiliates again and then tell your university's Fulbright adviser (if you didn't apply at large), If they still haven't contacted you I would actively search for a new affiliate which shouldn't be too hard now that you have a Fulbright award.

I would tell the commission sooner rather than later though because they can likely help you with finding a new affiliate at the university you were at, but this is just my 2 cents!

1 hour ago, artlesspredilection said:

It seems, based on the google spreadsheet, that some countries have been notifying through the weekend? 

Wow - Mexico, Norway ETA, Oman, Serbia, and Singapore. How is it possible that all these countries notified yesterday and no one here has mentioned anything? 

On 3/31/2017 at 8:08 PM, Photogeographic said:

Ugh a bit late to this. You guys I've applied for this damn thing 5 times ..been a semifinalist 3 times and just received my 5th NS. ?

For those who are alternate and finalist feel so proud because I am so proud of you. 

Good luck to everyone in waiting. If anyone has other funding suggestions to Indonesia I would love ideas! 

As for me I think I'm done trying for a while. Can't even possibly fathom going through this process again. Mehhhhh

Hugs to you! I'm so sorry and hope you can find another way to do your project.

2 hours ago, mckenna81 said:

Wow - Mexico, Norway ETA, Oman, Serbia, and Singapore. How is it possible that all these countries notified yesterday and no one here has mentioned anything? 

I'm Mexico research and didn't hear anything yesterday...maybe we got April Fooled?

1 minute ago, mckenna81 said:

Wow, that would be a dick move. I hope that's not the case (and that you hear soon! I'm Western Hemisphere also). 

Thank you! I wish you the same! I'm just ready for the wait to be over so I can plan out my life one way or another! Hopefully this week :)

33 minutes ago, limones said:

Thank you! I wish you the same! I'm just ready for the wait to be over so I can plan out my life one way or another! Hopefully this week :)

Oh man, don't I know it. My kid's school made everyone fill out registration forms to let them know if the students would be returning next year or not (so they can put classes together) and I had to say I didn't know where we'd be living. I felt like such a deadbeat!

8 hours ago, mckenna81 said:

Oh man, don't I know it. My kid's school made everyone fill out registration forms to let them know if the students would be returning next year or not (so they can put classes together) and I had to say I didn't know where we'd be living. I felt like such a deadbeat!

Wow I really hope you get it, how cool an experience would that be for your kid!! 

52 minutes ago, artlesspredilection said:

Yeah hopefully notifications all fall into this week. The application has opened for 2018-2019; not sure if that normally coincides at all with notification peak. 

It says that it is open on the timeline, but the Embark app has not yet gone live. I can access my app from last year, but I can't make a new one. I'm wondering if they're going to do a big drop then open it.

20 minutes ago, iDance said:

It says that it is open on the timeline, but the Embark app has not yet gone live. I can access my app from last year, but I can't make a new one. I'm wondering if they're going to do a big drop then open it.

Yeah this is what I'm hoping. Fingers crossed. I'm also submitting something today, so hopefully, one out, one in. 

On 3/31/2017 at 10:28 PM, Dash123 said:

As an alternate, I've like pretty much given up hope already and am thinking if it's worth applying a fourth time. I'm totally fine with all the application work; it's the references that I hate. It's so embarrassing for me to ask for favors especially as I get further away from college and fuzzier in the minds of people writing me recs. I've always been that way though - letters of recommendation and references often preclude me from applying to things I want. Don't know how to get past that anxiety/shame :(

I spoke to my Fulbright advisor this morning. Alternates typically don't hear back until the end if May/ first few weeks of June. It's like a 3rd round really.

Hi guys! I am a finalist for a research grant, and I have a question about the medical clearance forms that I thought the forum could help with - how long is it taking people to hear back? I submitted mine over 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything! Is this typical? Has anyone tried calling?

Thank you!! This board is great. Congrats to all the finalists, and fingers crossed for the alternates and everyone still waiting!

Ha - I just realized this is my old account that I forgot I have. I'm the same person as Nirerin (Ireland Research) from a couple pages ago. I clicked forgot password and apparently had a super old account here.