Jump to content

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, proton said:

thank you for starting this thread, i am so afraid of committing by april 15 and then coming off a wait list, what are you guys gonna do?

 

waitlisted at USC!

I'm also waitlisted at USC! I wonder how many others are... is it your top choice? I loved this school and program. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, proton said:

@braaains of the schools I interviewed at yes! it is so beautiful too, but now I am just worried like if they don't tell us yes/no by 4/15, what happense? :-/

You won't know by April 15th, because that is the deadline for everyone else to accept/decline offers.  You'll find out in the coming days after that.  Don't panic though, you have a few options.  You could always let your top offer know that you are still waiting on one more program and if they could extend the deadline a little bit longer for you.  You could also let them know that you are going to accept their offer, but may withdraw once you hear from a couple of other places.  One of my friends is doing this currently at two schools for anthropology.  Both programs understand that this is a stressful and nerve-wracking process.  Everyone makes SGS and adcoms out to be these tyrannical entities with no souls.  Don't forget most of them went through the exact same process we are right now.  Just hold tight, send them an enquiry email as to your position on the list and based off of previous years what your chances of being accepted would be.  Worst case is they say there is no chance of being advanced at your position and you accept your best offer and move on.  

Edited by ChrisTOEFert
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2016 at 11:22 AM, proton said:

@ChrisTOEFert Thanks so much for that, I honestly didn't know how candid I could be with my current top choice program from the ones that admitted me! I found some reddit thread that made the whole thing seem really daunting

It is daunting for sure, it's scary grad school.  But good luck, you are going somewhere at least.  You have an offer, the hard part is done!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2016 at 5:57 AM, ChrisTOEFert said:

You won't know by April 15th, because that is the deadline for everyone else to accept/decline offers.  You'll find out in the coming days after that.  Don't panic though, you have a few options.  You could always let your top offer know that you are still waiting on one more program and if they could extend the deadline a little bit longer for you.  You could also let them know that you are going to accept their offer, but may withdraw once you hear from a couple of other places.  One of my friends is doing this currently at two schools for anthropology.  Both programs understand that this is a stressful and nerve-wracking process.  Everyone makes SGS and adcoms out to be these tyrannical entities with no souls.  Don't forget most of them went through the exact same process we are right now.  Just hold tight, send them an enquiry email as to your position on the list and based off of previous years what your chances of being accepted would be.  Worst case is they say there is no chance of being advanced at your position and you accept your best offer and move on.  

Hi, I am new to this thread, and had a few questions for those who are more informed! As a bio BA and psych MA, I ended up applying to a few neuro programs this cycle and was lucky to be waitlisted at one. This ended up my only hope and also one of my top schools. In the waitlist email it was mentioned that they will let me know before or by 4/15. But I wondered, since it is the deadline for people to defer their decision, how will the waitlist people hear back before this time? Also, my school is a rotation program so my POI will have no power in giving me admission...so it is just a bunch of the prospectives that were offered positions and a bunch being waitlisted and the rest rejected after an interview.

Also, does this timeframe differ if you are an international student? Really hoping to find out...

Good luck to everyone who is on the waitlist! We will all make it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, WillComeTrue said:

Hi, I am new to this thread, and had a few questions for those who are more informed! As a bio BA and psych MA, I ended up applying to a few neuro programs this cycle and was lucky to be waitlisted at one. This ended up my only hope and also one of my top schools. In the waitlist email it was mentioned that they will let me know before or by 4/15. But I wondered, since it is the deadline for people to defer their decision, how will the waitlist people hear back before this time? Also, my school is a rotation program so my POI will have no power in giving me admission...so it is just a bunch of the prospectives that were offered positions and a bunch being waitlisted and the rest rejected after an interview.

Also, does this timeframe differ if you are an international student? Really hoping to find out...

Good luck to everyone who is on the waitlist! We will all make it!

This is pretty standard. Not sure if you've heard back yet, but some schools give those with initial offers a deadline of 4/15 to decide. If some of those people decide to go elsewhere and a spot opens up, the program may reach out to waitlisted candidates in the following weeks. I am sure every school is a bit different. I have no idea how being international factors into this process! 

Best of luck to you!!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, proton said:

do any of you feel like you may commit to a school knowing your first/top choice has still waitlisted you? what is your plan? #askingForAFriend #me

If it were me I'd just go with the one I was already offered, so long as you like that program as well. But I'm big on safety.

I feel like our chances of being admitted from the waitlist after 4/15 are so slim anyway... but who knows! THIS IS SUCH A TOUGH TIME. Going crazy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was recently promoted from a waitlist... Currently deciding between those offers... For me it's not an easy choice either way, and I have had a bad family situation materialize that is prolonging my selection. Though if they had not told me with a reasonable amount of time to consider theirs along with my other offers, I probably would have declined it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@braaains i know :( I don't know if not being told yet is good/bad! I just am not really that excited/looking forward to the choice I have and I don't know if I can "make it work" for 6 years you know? I asked the admin last week, like if it is a no I just want to know at this point..

 

@NeuroMetro I am so happy to hear that, I hope that things become easier for you

Link to post
Share on other sites

@proton as I am bit familiar with your situation, have you considered asking your current acceptance institution for a deferred offer? If they are willing, you could reapply to other schools next year, and reconsider your options then (including other types of program/vocation). Considering my current obstacles, I've considered it, not because I want to go anywhere else, just the other crap I'm dealing with. I only decided against it because I am a non-traditional (i.e., older) student, and I am definitely not getting any younger. So for me, every month counts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good idea or not, that's up to you, and of course depends on what people at your program say about it. And yes, I can understand you feeling rushed. Though look at it this way: I went back to undergrad 11 years out of high school... so there's that. I'll be at a disadvantage of course in my eventual retirement and all that other good stuff, but at least I'll be doing something meaningful. Every year is helpful, though it's all relative.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2016 at 8:05 AM, braaains said:

This is pretty standard. Not sure if you've heard back yet, but some schools give those with initial offers a deadline of 4/15 to decide. If some of those people decide to go elsewhere and a spot opens up, the program may reach out to waitlisted candidates in the following weeks. I am sure every school is a bit different. I have no idea how being international factors into this process! 

Best of luck to you!!! 

No... haven't heard back just yet. I wonder why they said that they would let me know before or by 4/15, as the more I think about it it only makes sense that they let people on the waitlist know after getting all of the results from their initial offers. I guess we would find out within a few days... Good luck to you, too and I am really hoping for the best!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.