Jump to content

If I withdraw my application from the shortlist, can I re-apply in 1/2 years without issues


Recommended Posts

Dear all,

My situation: This June, I'm finishing my MA in History at my home university in Europe; in November 2015, I applied for a MA (research-oriented) degree in Asia; in February, I got to know that I was shortlisted; later, I got an offer to follow a one-year language program in China with funding.

My issue: I look forward to study 1 year Chinese, but my potential advisor has told me already twice to have confidence and not to withdraw my application. 

My question: if I decide to withdraw my application anyways, will this significantly decrease my chances to get accepted into the same program in 1 or 2 years? Do I risk to be refused in the future due to, say behind-the-scene politics/ bad reputation or whatsoever? 

Good to know:

- I want to learn Chinese to use it for further research

- It's not possible to defer my enrolment for one year or so; I need to re-apply 

Thanks

Edited by ignoredfab
Link to post
Share on other sites

So if I understand you correctly, the reason that you're considering not accepting the one year offer in China is because you're waiting to hear back from the research-oriented MA program?  Is there a reason that you can't just wait for the result of that application before making a decision?  (Are you pressed for time to accept the Chinese offer, in other words?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ignoredfab said:

if I decide to withdraw my application anyways, will this significantly decrease my chances to get accepted into the same program in 1 or 2 years? Do I risk to be refused in the future due to, say behind-the-scene politics/ bad reputation or whatsoever? 

You would be telling your prospective adviser you aren't going to listen to them and don't want to follow their advice. What do you think that does for your chances?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your potential adviser is confident with your language skills that s/he is willing to take you now.  Ask about opportunities to advance your Chinese skills during the MA program.  Re-apply to that language program if you still want to do it after you finish your MA.  Your Chinese will improve while you use it for your research (but not as much as if you were devoted to it full-time).

OR,

Go to China on this funding and do not look back to this MA program.  Then apply to different MA programs (and do apply to PhD if that's your eventual goal).

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, fortsibut said:

So if I understand you correctly, the reason that you're considering not accepting the one year offer in China is because you're waiting to hear back from the research-oriented MA program?  Is there a reason that you can't just wait for the result of that application before making a decision?  (Are you pressed for time to accept the Chinese offer, in other words?)

My apologies for not being so clear. I'm on the waiting list for the MA program, and I might only receive a definitive answer by the end of July. So yes, I'm pressed to accept the Chinese offer.

However, I would like to get in to the MA program in 1 or 2 years, after some language training. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ignoredfab said:

My apologies for not being so clear. I'm on the waiting list for the MA program, and I might only receive a definitive answer by the end of July. So yes, I'm pressed to accept the Chinese offer.

However, I would like to get in to the MA program in 1 or 2 years, after some language training. 

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification.  I'd agree with TMP, if you can go study in this language program for a year with all expenses paid, and have a great experience in the region you're interested in studying in, I'd jump at the opportunity.  There's a small chance that you might burn bridges with your target institution, but I personally wouldn't pass up a guaranteed spot for the hope that something might materialize in this other program by July.  You could always contact the MA program and politely tell them that you need to make a decision by x date, and if they're unable to give you a response by then than you'll have to withdraw your application, but that you certainly hope to reapply after your year of Chinese.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fortsibut said:

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification.  I'd agree with TMP, if you can go study in this language program for a year with all expenses paid, and have a great experience in the region you're interested in studying in, I'd jump at the opportunity.  There's a small chance that you might burn bridges with your target institution, but I personally wouldn't pass up a guaranteed spot for the hope that something might materialize in this other program by July.  You could always contact the MA program and politely tell them that you need to make a decision by x date, and if they're unable to give you a response by then than you'll have to withdraw your application, but that you certainly hope to reapply after your year of Chinese.

Thanks for the advice! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.