ridgey

Reputation points

Dear mods, is there a chance of getting rid of the reputation points? Or at least the voting posts down features? We can't hope to aspire to your posting brilliance, of course, but there really are very few posts that deserve the harshness of the big red "-1".

If this feature can't be turned off, do y'all mind if I'm a bit suversive and "+1" where ever I encounter the "-1"?

Dear mods, is there a chance of getting rid of the reputation points? Or at least the voting posts down features? We can't hope to aspire to your posting brilliance, of course, but there really are very few posts that deserve the harshness of the big red "-1".

If this feature can't be turned off, do y'all mind if I'm a bit suversive and "+1" where ever I encounter the "-1"?

I want to see how people use it when things get busy so I'd prefer to leave it on. You are of course welcome to +1 whereever you see a -1 ... :-)

You get a positive point when someone clicks on the green plus that's on the bottom right hand side of any post you made. You get a negative point if someone clicks on the minus.

How the heck did I get -4 without even knowing about it just until now??? Is there some kind of warning system? I don't even bother with these reputation points.

Hi bgk,

Have you ever thought of displaying the reputation points underneath the user info section?

I think it is a good idea to praise the contribution of those deserving users that way and on the other hand it can work as a warning to those passing negativity around the board.

Edited by kobie

I would be interested to see a threshold, assuming it's not overly difficult to code. A +1 or a -1 is effectively meaningless and actually encourages abuse ("I think I wrote a good post. +1 for me."), even retaliation (I use that word loosely because it is, after all, an internet forum). On the other hand, if a group of users finds a post particularly helpful (or unhelpful), the rating system can be a good way to skim through long threads. It seems to me that a thread shouldn't display a rating until it is at -+5. Perhaps there might even be a future option like Amazon for displaying "Users don't think this adds to the conversation, click her to view anyway" on posts with exceedingly negative ratings.

Edited by Postbib Yeshuist

I would be interested to see a threshold, assuming it's not overly difficult to code. A +1 or a -1 is effectively meaningless and actually encourages abuse ("I think I wrote a good post. +1 for me."), even retaliation (I use that word loosely because it is, after all, an internet forum). On the other hand, if a group of users finds a post particularly helpful (or unhelpful), the rating system can be a good way to skim through long threads. It seems to me that a thread shouldn't display a rating until it is at -+5. Perhaps there might even be a future option like Amazon for displaying "Users don't think this adds to the conversation, click her to view anyway" on posts with exceedingly negative ratings.

Though cool-and-advanced looking, I would not want to hide anybody's posts, regardless of how they're perceived. Websites like Amazon's annoy me because I have to do extra clicking to read everything -- while I understand their necessity on some websites, we don't have that many trolls here or people with poor comments. We do have some "controversial" topics occasionally, and I like to see differing views, even if some are unpopular.

A compromise might be making heavily-minused posts fainter looking (something I've seen before), but even then it's an eyesore for those who read everything anyway.

Sometimes OPs are voted down a lot -- what would happen to them? And clearly we still like to respond to them.... laugh.gif Those have been some of our best conversations! Overall, I really wouldn't want to do anything to discourage alternative views.

5+ ratings might be an overly ambitious threshold, especially as the forum quiets down between application seasons. Maybe 3+ would be a more attainable positive threshold; the post would have to get at least two independent positive ratings from readers -- even if the author gave themselves a plus -- and more if they also got minuses. Though I like the system as-is: I think we know just 1+ doesn't mean much, only one person liked it a lot, and -1 can be easy removed by the post author or anyone else who sees fit.

There are much more embarrassing things on this forum, IMO, like the post "edited" time displays; even though I understand why they exist, I feel so lame because I edit almost everything I post, and sometimes my last edit is like, 20 - 30 minutes after my original post...embarrassing!

What bothers me most is when I run out of plus-votes and then I read a really great post and go, aww darn! I find myself making all kinds of mental notes to go back and plus it tomorrow -- but rarely recall to follow-through. :(

Edited by Jae B.

Good points about not hiding posts. I agree wholeheartedly. I don't know that's exactly what I was thinking with my Amazon comment, but I'm glad you drew that out.

Edited by Postbib Yeshuist

A compromise might be making heavily-minused posts fainter looking (something I've seen before), but even then it's an eyesore for those who read everything anyway.

I think this would be a pretty neat feature, allowing everyone to see the post without clicking but at the same time letting everyone know that said comment doesn't exactly add to the conversation.

I think this would be a pretty neat feature, allowing everyone to see the post without clicking but at the same time letting everyone know that said comment doesn't exactly add to the conversation.

This seems to be a slightly troubling suggestion though. Some posts are rated negatively simply because another disagrees with the point made in the post - even if that point is relevant to the conversation, phrased civilly, and has some grounds for its claims.

Since this topic has been revived...

I've noticed a lot more "pile on" negative rankings lately. Where more people are down-rating a post than seem to be posting in the thread... And I have this visceral problem with someone down-ranking a post without the guts/courtesy to actually post and say why.

I'm noticing an interesting trend (or at least, I think I am) that, as admit season rolls along and we are all more stressed, worried, & etc., posts that disagree with the common consensus, bring up important points we don't necessarily want to hear or want to agree with no matter how much sense they make/how right they might be, and posts that in any way challenge someone else's "rights" (to feel self-pity, to be mad, to be upset, etc. etc.) are (in many cases, not all) getting major whammies in the red.

(this in addition, of course, to the smug, self-satisfied "I've been accepted everywhere with full funding and extra money, I don't know what you lot are all so upset about", "The GRE was soooooo easy I odn't understand how anyone can NOT get an 800 on the Subject Test" and "screw you, you're such a baby" type posties that always rack up the red. :P)

Since this topic has been revived...

I've noticed a lot more "pile on" negative rankings lately. Where more people are down-rating a post than seem to be posting in the thread... And I have this visceral problem with someone down-ranking a post without the guts/courtesy to actually post and say why.

Eigen - this actually bothers me on occasion, too, especially when I feel that what was said that received the negative rating was pretty valid, even if not necessarily something I wanted to hear. It would be nice to take accountability for your negative ratings, or at least for the person who got the negative rating to be able to ask you specifically why you decided to give it.

Then again, we do have at least one member of Gradcafe with two accounts - one "regular", and one s/he trots out only when s/he wants to be truly snarky. Don't know who it is, but have been on the receiving end of the snark side - in fact, apparently, the snark account was specifically created to call me out because this person disagreed vehemently with me, but didn't want anyone to know it was him or her, for wahtever reason. Actually, in hindsight, that was pretty funny!! I've only seen him/her post under that account about three or four times, total, though.

Eigen - this actually bothers me on occasion, too, especially when I feel that what was said that received the negative rating was pretty valid, even if not necessarily something I wanted to hear. It would be nice to take accountability for your negative ratings, or at least for the person who got the negative rating to be able to ask you specifically why you decided to give it.

Then again, we do have at least one member of Gradcafe with two accounts - one "regular", and one s/he trots out only when s/he wants to be truly snarky. Don't know who it is, but have been on the receiving end of the snark side - in fact, apparently, the snark account was specifically created to call me out because this person disagreed vehemently with me, but didn't want anyone to know it was him or her, for wahtever reason. Actually, in hindsight, that was pretty funny!! I've only seen him/her post under that account about three or four times, total, though.

Feel free to report said account. I can take a look :-).

my two cents. first, i don't think highly negatively rated posts taken down from the forums. so, why the commotion? second, the ratings don't tell how good or bad or a person/applicant you are as someone told above that there is a general tendency of down-voting posts that disagree with others' thoughts. in many cases, i have also seen that other people down-vote a post simply because it has already been negatively rated by others - thus causing the snowball effect. and third, who cares about the ratings?! i can't believe you guys do. those who cast their negative votes, but don't have guts to argue with your posts are pathetic losers and closet whiners. even if you make changes to the voting system, nothing is going to make those type of people start commenting on your thread. so just move along people, the red minuses are no big deal, and shouldn't be made a big deal.

I kind of like it how it is now actually. Generally, a person will get more pluses and less minuses over time if they post helpful/insightful or funny posts. Conversely, if someone is being a jerk they seem to have more red. The great thing is that none of these points matter so its sort of like a useless yet interesting add on to the forums. Also, its easier to give someone a +1 without replying with a superfluous "yeah good post".

I think the main problem is that there are two ways people use rating systems:

"This was a good/bad post" and "I agreed/disagreed with this point".

And I find lately, there are lots of good posts that are getting really severely down-rated because people disagree with the point- see some of the recent discussions in the political science board.

To me, most of the regular posters here should be at the level of being able to see past whether they like/dislike a position and look at whether the argument itself has merit, or the post was well written/not antagonistic.

One of the ways to modify rating systems (they always have pros and cons) is to have the ability to rate posts become active at a certain post-count rank (50 or so) so only people that have actually contributed to the board semi-consistently gain the ability to rate.

Since we're talking about reputation points, I wish there were a way to see which posts received +1s. Sometimes I notice that my reputation went up and I'm really curious as to which post people liked. Maybe there's already a feature for this, who knows.