First-generation student (or not)?

Danger_Zone

My brother and I were the first to go to college in our family. My dad dropped out of high school and got his GED years later and my mom barely graduated high school. I didn't realize how uncommon this was until I spoke with other students about it. My mom pushed me and my brother academically and wanted us to have more than she did. I will be the first in my family with a doctoral degree! I met a lot of applicants at interviews whose parents were doctors and lawyers or CEOs...I never realized I was an anomaly lol.

My mom is an RN and my dad went to a trade school. My sister is a Vet Tech. I am the first in my immediate family to pursue a 4 year degree and now a masters degree. First one in my extended family to pursue a Masters Degree as well. I don't consider it an advantage or disadvantage to be honest. I know my family is happy and proud of me. They don't really push me to do anything, I am more of my own motivator and critic. But they are definitely behind my decisions and willing to help me along the way. It is hard sometimes to not have anyone close to me to ask questions or raise concerns about graduate school, but I am confident in my abilities to just figure it out as I go haha. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am 5th generation college graduate and if I manage to complete my PhD, I will also be 3rd PhD in the family (although not successively).

No one from my family was a professor, however.