Hi gang!

Never too early I guess to start the application process!! Planning is in our nature, after all :D Thought I would start this thread so that we would all be able to connect.

These are the schools I am considering:

San Jose State University

University of California Irvine

University of Hawaii Manoa

Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

Cal Poly Pomona

University of Colorado Denver

Rutgers University - New Brunswick

University College London

A little bit about me: California native who attended undergrad at CU Boulder for Environmental Studies, concentration in Sustainable Development with a certificate in Public Health. Graduated in 2015 with 3.458 GPA. I worked closely with an international nonprofit through college, took some incredible sustainable design, planning, and project management courses during a semester abroad in Sweden and now as a graduate I'm back in the Golden State helping to bring about climate change mitigation and adaptation in local governments. I've always been drawn to planning as a field, but being in this job now has only solidified in my mind that this is my path and I'm very excited to be applying to all of these programs in the fall!!! Having a completely average GPA (and presumably average GRE scores as I'm a terrible test-taker), I'm hoping that my strong writing skills will be able to win over any admissions committee! I'm primarily looking in-state/WICHE, Rutgers because I felt like I should apply to at least one in the top 10, and UCL because I have British citizenship and the masters program there is only one year. I will actually be starting the UCL application now since the deadline is so late in the year (July 29th) to start in the fall, so if I get in for this fall then I will defer a year to apply to the U.S. programs.

Hope I'm not the only (crazy?) one starting this now! Previous application cyclists feel free to comment!!

• 3 months later...

Hey rebtrue!

You're definitely not the only (crazy) one. This is my short list (all M.Arch):

Michigan

Yale

UT

UC Denver

University of British Columbia

V.Tech

My background: Currently a Colorado resident, software product manager for the Department of Human Services. BA with a degree in fine art Photography from a small school in Austin, St. Edward's University (nolanpatrickgreen.com). Architecture gives me the ability to work conceptually in scale and materials that traditional photography doesn't provide. Aside from my photography degree I have experience in program management, engineering change management and software product management. Graduated with a 3.61 GPA and hopefully a decent GRE score, strong writing skills but my statement of purpose needs to be refined a bit. I have connections at UT, former St. Ed's alumni who are attending the  UT M.Arch program currently and a few recent grads. UM is my top choice because of their insane facilities. UC Denver is a top choice as well due to Colorado residency and their design/build program. 

Good luck rebtrue! Maybe I'll see you in Denver!

Edited by Ngreen2

• 3 months later...

Hey All,

Seeing as it's closer now to notification season, I figured I share a bit on myself. I'm coming from an International Studies Background. I originally wanted to do international development, but I'm now looking to focus on regional and economic development through community and urban planning. Since graduation from undergrad, I've been working at one of the IFIs with some decent experience in research but it's not 100% planning related. I think a couple of these are a stretch (mostly MIT) but I'm hopeful to get into the rest. I guess I only need to get into one, right? I think my statement of purpose ties everything together nicely, so we'll see.

Schools I'm applying to:

• Columbia Dual MIA/MUP
  • UT Austin Dual MPA/MSCRP
  • MIT
  • Harvard
  • UCLA
  • UMD
  • VTech

GRE: 164V/160Q/5.5AW

GPA: 3.7

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, 

Thought I'd add where I'm applying here, hopefully it becomes a bit more active as we get further into the year. 

About me: Urban Planning undergrad from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and graduating in May. No official minor but a decent amount of specialization in GIS and a psychology background since I was a little over halfway through a psych degree when I decided to switch to planning. I've been applying to Masters programs in Urban/City Planning. Hoping to specialize in transportation planning or economic development. I have had one planning internship and will return to it in the summer. I have extensive leadership/volunteer experience through an on campus organization (I'm not sure if this matters). Although I could likely get an entry-level planning job in Illinois, I am hoping to move out of the Midwest. 

Schools:

• UC Berkeley
  • UCLA
  • USC
  • San Jose State
  • Washington
  • UIC
  • Rutgers

GRE: 164V / 156Q / 5.0 AWA

GPA: 3.79

Has anyone heard from UMCP for an MBA in Community/Urban Planning. I'm still waiting on a response. I applied Jan 8

What do you think my chances are? 

Undergrad GPA: 3.52 

Majored in Environmental Studies (Policy Based) and Prelaw

GRE Score: Waived due to GPA

Experience: Independent undergraduate research in Energy Infrastructure Planning (Wind Turbines) and Extensive Global Food Commodity Chain Analysis Research. 

Honestly, I'm ball of nerves waiting to hear back!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2017 at 7:11 AM, misagald said:

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard back from their schools?

I think I'm just feeding my anxiety by reading these boards and looking at the results each morning. I know in time we'll hear back, but I'm definitely anxious...

Just heard back from U.Mich and UC Denver! 

UMD

Hi all,

Welcome to the world of planning, and congratulations on taking the next step in your education! I was exactly like you this time last year so I know how it feels. I learned that constantly refreshing my browser wouldn't make the acceptance emails appear, and I have a large enough sample size to back this theory up.

I'm writing because I see that some of you have applied to the program at UMD. I'm currently a student there and I would strongly caution you about the program. I am happy to correspond with anyone who would like to know about the program and its advantages and disadvantages in detail, so please feel free to reach out to me via PM.

Edited by Mainhattan

On 2/28/2017 at 9:38 PM, Ngreen2 said:

Just heard back from U.Mich and UC Denver! 

That's awesome to hear! Congrats!!

It must feel good to have gotten into your top choice, no? I have a buddy who graduated from UMich architecture undergrad and he enjoyed it.

I received acceptances into UCLA and UT Austin myself! I'm excited, UCLA was in my top 3. Still, waiting for the rest is nerve wracking...

Edited by misagald

Hey, @misagald! Just saw your list. According to the phone call I got from the program director at the GSD on Tuesday, they should be sending out emails with MUP decisions today (3/2). It's 3:30pm eastern time, so I would imagine they'll be hitting inboxes in the next few hours. 

MIT should also start releasing decisions. I got a call from them yesterday and a confirmation email. 

44 minutes ago, coffeebean13 said:

Hey, @misagald! Just saw your list. According to the phone call I got from the program director at the GSD on Tuesday, they should be sending out emails with MUP decisions today (3/2). It's 3:30pm eastern time, so I would imagine they'll be hitting inboxes in the next few hours. 

MIT should also start releasing decisions. I got a call from them yesterday and a confirmation email. 

Thanks for the head's up! And congrats on getting into both MIT and Harvard!! That's an awesome accomplishment. Do you know where you will be heading?

I'm pretty nervous. Other than UCLA, they were my top two choices.

Thanks! And, not yet.

I have two issues: 1) Cost - The MIT person said that they did not have access to financial aid and that it would come separately in the next few days. The GSD person said I received a fellowship, but no indication as to how much. It was also the first call I received and was too much in shock to ask. She said they would be releasing the email with all the details on 3/2, but it's getting late... 

2) I would prefer to do an MPP program. I won't hear back from them until next week. I did apply to HKS, so I'm hoping that I can get in and do a dual degree with the MUP. If I don't get into any of my top choices, I may consider doing a Planning program on its own. I won't have the full picture until next week. 

16 hours ago, coffeebean13 said:

Actually, just looked at my call log. I got a call from GSD around 6:30pm EST, so there may still be time for them to send out their emails today. 

You were on the money! They send them out right before 5:30PM. I got admitted to Harvard GSD and Columbia as well! Unfortunately the GSD didn't offer much funding, so we'll see what the others say.

The last big school I'm waiting on is MIT

1 hour ago, misagald said:

You were on the money! They send them out right before 5:30PM. I got admitted to Harvard GSD and Columbia as well! Unfortunately the GSD didn't offer much funding, so we'll see what the others say.

The last big school I'm waiting on is MIT

Awesome! Congrats on GSD and Columbia! MIT shouldn't be too long. Hopefully you'll hear some more good news before the weekend! 

4 hours ago, coffeebean13 said:

Awesome! Congrats on GSD and Columbia! MIT shouldn't be too long. Hopefully you'll hear some more good news before the weekend! 

I'm on cloud 9. Admitted to MIT! Maybe we will be classmates :-) Tough decision between all the schools...

@dataplanner I was admitted to the HCED concentration, and the professor who called me was Professor Phillip Thomson who is in fact from the HCED concentration.

I was doubting myself a lot and felt jumpy too, but hopefully you'll receive some good news soon!

Edited by misagald

2 hours ago, dataplanner said:

@coffeebean13 and @misagald congrats on MIT and your other acceptances! Out of curiosity, what concentration did you each apply for at MIT? It looks like maybe the concentration advisers are doing the calls? MIT is my first choice and I'm getting very nervous over here and wondering if I should assume no call is a rejection or if I should keep letting my heart jump into my throat every time the phone rings (nope, just my mom). I applied for CDD and I haven't seen anyone explicitly mention that concentration (or a faculty member I know to be associated with it)... yet.   

I did hear back that I got into Columbia, which is my second choice, so if I don't get into MIT all is not lost!

Thanks! And sorry to hear about MIT, best of luck at Columbia!

I also applied to the HCED, but got a call from Ezra Haber, also in the HCED. @misagald, what was your funding package? I got an assistantship for half tuition...

Nothing from MIT here - my last chance, top choice and arguably best fit, Obi Wan Kenobi. I guess they're going by clusters or whathaveyou (anyone heard from international development and/or transport?) so I assume nothing until Monday? Good lord, just reject me already! Meanwhile, the first thing I see this morning is the NYT 'super easy brownie recipie' link. So much for having a healthy, productive weekend.

@coffeebean13 Same as you and it said a monthly stipend but I can't figure out if the amount shown is monthly or the total over the 9 months. The half tuition is super appreciated. GSD only offered 5k out of 60k. I'm still waiting to hear from UCLA.

@TK2 Hang in there! I hope you'll hear good news soon.

Edited by misagald

@misagald, my award specifically says that I have been a awarded a monthly stipend at XXXX over the academic year. The amount is monthly. I'm looking more favorably at GSD - they offered me full tuition (not sure how that happened, but I'm definitely not complaining). Still waiting on those policies schools though. 

On 04/03/2017 at 3:47 PM, misagald said:

@TK2 Hang in there! I hope you'll hear good news soon.

I just got waitlisted for the PhD at MIT. By...post. Fedex.

So weirded out by that I'm not even disappointed or excited right now. What's wrong with an email? A phone call? A whatsapp, for all I care. A neighbour came by with it because it had been misdelivered and I'm standing there trying to make sense of this complicated packaging and longish letter and fancy folder and the words aren't clicking with the whole why-would-you-fedex-me-a-folder-(to-another-continent)-if-its-not-an-admission thing? And now...what? That's three waitlists (Berkeley, Oxford (well, waiting to hear on funding) and MIT), two rejections (Harvard and Michigan) and one still-waiting. (Portland.) I can't even tell if that's a good or bad application cycle. Why the hell would you send me a folder, MIT?!?

Just to add: I absolutely had this nightmare where I get waitlisted everywhere after Berkeley. I was kind of hoping having the nightmare meant it couldn't actually happen. And to think, all I wanted was for the waiting to be over...

@TK2 Sorry to hear that! I'm sorry about the waiting. What is your plan of attack or what are you hoping for?

@coffeebean13 That's awesome! Definitely a hard deal to pass up. I wouldn't feel very inclined to pass up a full ride either. My stipend actually says the same as yours. So far, I have been leaning MIT but I haven't gotten UCLA's offer letter yet.

On 3/2/2017 at 0:19 PM, misagald said:

That's awesome to hear! Congrats!!

It must feel good to have gotten into your top choice, no? I have a buddy who graduated from UMich architecture undergrad and he enjoyed it.

I received acceptances into UCLA and UT Austin myself! I'm excited, UCLA was in my top 3. Still, waiting for the rest is nerve wracking...

Yeah it really does feel good, now I'm just waiting on the financial aide to come in, which will be the main decision point. 

That's great! Congrats. I have a classmate who's in her second year at UT and she absolutely loves it. Interested to see how the program changes now that they've selected a permanent dean (old Yale professor).