Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

3 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

I was supposed to go camping with my parents and a bunch of their friends this weekend. As much as I keep wanting to discuss applications and interviews here and with my friends, I really was not looking forward to 10 different people asking me the same questions over and over again. Talking on here or with friends is calming. Talking about it with parents and their friends just sounds agonizing.

Oh my goodness I feel your pain! I have so much pressure on me currently. My family plans a cruise every year with my step family (15 people)... Well typically we start planning by now but everyone is waiting to see where I get into school next year so that I know the winter break dates aka so we can go at that time. I'm holding up family vacation and everyone ask me all the time "have you heard from schools yet". No one really understands how competitive it is and when I explain how each school gets about 200 applicants and take on average 5-8students they are shocked... But they continue to ask! Holy pressure! haha We will make it where we want to be someday, just stay strong and know that we are pretty smart, hard working people to even apply to such a competitive program, and nobody else's opinions matter. Try to enjoy your free time and keep thoughts else where!

@GCFaith92 oh awesome! Mine is at 9am! I'm pretty sure we'll cross paths at some point during the day =) I'm really nervous about their interview though because it's a brand new program and of course, there's no one to tell us what their interview process is like =/ Hopefully we both get interviews to USF too! I'm *impatiently* waiting for that one. The PTO schedule for March at my job is getting filled so it's making me more nervous...

Ugh, does anyone have to deal with undergrad professors making a big deal about absences?  I already crammed my spring break full of interviews, I have to miss some classes!

29 minutes ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

@SJMcGC Hopefully you'll get a call today! My interview at Rutgers is March 27th and SLC is on March 28th - same day as yours! I have the afternoon interview at SLC - but maybe I'll see you at the meet-and-greet the night before! It'll be a hectic two days for me. -_-

I will be longingly waiting by my phone for a call today... it would be great to be able to schedule with Rutgers the 27th! The cost of flights, hotels, and all really adds up! I am definitely planning on attending the meet and greet at SLC that night so we will likely meet up ?

55 minutes ago, Gorays39 said:

Still waiting on Northwestern and Mount Sinai...has anyone here heard from either of them?

Nothing from Northwestern yet... Maybe today...? We can only hope! 

1 hour ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

@GCFaith92 oh awesome! Mine is at 9am! I'm pretty sure we'll cross paths at some point during the day =) I'm really nervous about their interview though because it's a brand new program and of course, there's no one to tell us what their interview process is like =/ Hopefully we both get interviews to USF too! I'm *impatiently* waiting for that one. The PTO schedule for March at my job is getting filled so it's making me more nervous...

I don't get PTO :-( Perks of working for an endocrinologist who runs his own business. But I get all the hours I want so hellooooo overtime lol . Yeah if you are the morning we get to have lunch together!

1 hour ago, Gorays39 said:

Ugh, does anyone have to deal with undergrad professors making a big deal about absences?  I already crammed my spring break full of interviews, I have to miss some classes!

Haven't gotten often any interviews, but I'm kind of shocked they are giving you a hard time. Most of my classes have an allotted 3 days that you can miss to begin with, but if I had to miss more due to more interviews I'd be surprised if they were upset about it. Most of my professors understand that people will be attending interviews and such for jobs and grad school, especially senior year.

I had planned to do my interviews during spring break too, but my spring break is earlier than any of the interview dates I've heard of. 

Just now, AspiringGC said:

Haven't gotten often any interviews, but I'm kind of shocked they are giving you a hard time. Most of my classes have an allotted 3 days that you can miss to begin with, but if I had to miss more due to more interviews I'd be surprised if they were upset about it. Most of my professors understand that people will be attending interviews and such for jobs and grad school, especially senior year.

I had planned to do my interviews during spring break too, but my spring break is earlier than any of the interview dates I've heard of. 

Yeah, I've only spoken to one professor so far and told her how many interviews I plan to attend.  She said she'd have to come up with some plan for me to 'make up' the class discussions so I don't get penalized 'too much'.  Oh joy.

15 minutes ago, Gorays39 said:

Yeah, I've only spoken to one professor so far and told her how many interviews I plan to attend.  She said she'd have to come up with some plan for me to 'make up' the class discussions so I don't get penalized 'too much'.  Oh joy.

In all honestly, I'm sure you could probably decline more interviews. It's pretty obvious that you are qualified and programs want you. You have seven interviews (that you're actually attending) and still waiting to hear from two more schools. I am sure you could be more selective and get the number down to 5 interviews if you didn't want to sacrifice your grades. 

But at the same time, I totally understand still being nervous and wanting to have the best chance at getting in too. 

8 hours ago, NHxx said:

Yay, congrats on setting up such awesome opportunities!! The cycle isn't over yet - but I commend you on getting the right kind of experiences already lined up! I interned with a cancer GC who had just graduated her program in 2015 so I can definitely say that shadowing/observing/talking to younger GC's is extremely helpful bc they JUST went through the process, and since it is changing so much every couple of years their advice is really relevant- and there's definitely a push to get more internship & shadowing opportunities to students interested which is awesome. Hope it goes well!

I must have made a good impression because I only asked for a day of shadowing and she was the one that mentioned doing weekly sessions instead. And it's true, I still have four programs to hear from, but I'm trying to make myself be okay with not getting in. So being excited and just trying to be realistic about the whole process. 

That sounds like a lot of fun, I am glad you also got to shadow one. I am really lucky too, because she is stationed in out of the state-of-the-art cancer center through my university. She mentioned that there's some crazy and very rare cases because of that, so hopefully I'll get to see some of those and really get a good feel for the profession and exactly what she does.

Mt. Sinai's sending interviews out now! Their schedule is on Wednesdays.

I previously booked a flight to NY and arrive on Wednesday morning 7am (red eye flight). Now I'm wondering if I should just suck it up and do the interview at 10am same day, or book another flight to NY again...what do you guys think? I would have to carry my luggage around to the interview site too...

Edited by bubusaur

1 hour ago, minja134 said:

For anyone interested, Thomas Jefferson University is holding a webinar on Feb 21 at 4:30PM EST: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/jefferson-human-genetics-genetic-counseling-info-session-tickets-347130276

Thanks for passing this along! Also, congrats on your ISU interview! Mine is on 4/10 so you'll have to let me know how it goes!

6 minutes ago, GCToBe989 said:

Thanks for passing this along! Also, congrats on your ISU interview! Mine is on 4/10 so you'll have to let me know how it goes!

Of course! We're all here to help each other out!

I'm so nervous, it's my first interview of the cycle. I will let you know how it goes!

Also I noticed @Gorays39 mentioned Northwestern. Last year they emailed me on February 17th, which was a Wednesday. Maybe we will hear back by Wednesday next week? Either way I hope it is soon!

Edited by minja134

Can anyone who's interviewed or has some idea of what to expect post some possible questions and/or how interviews go? I have literally no idea what to expect. I'm assuming I'll introduce myself and then get asked questions? And then ask them questions? There's so many interviews at Oklahoma it's freaking me out! 

1 hour ago, JennyVt said:

Has anyone heard from or know any possible timeline for Johns Hopkins?

I'm still waiting to hear from them too. From last year's results, it looks like we can expect calls next week!

I have been seeing a lot of interview clothing advice being passed around lately, but being a guy, heels don't really look that good with the clothes I have ;) That being said, for the men of this forum, what are you thinking of wearing or, for those that have interviewed prior, what did you see other guys wearing? I am planning on wearing a suit, but I don't know if this is too formal or not. Any advice?