Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

Oh my gosh. I waited to sign up for the March 9th interview for Mt. Sinai and now it's all full. I might have to book two flights to NY then... :(

I'm going be so broke. First world problems.

1 hour ago, minja134 said:

Of course! We're all here to help each other out!

I'm so nervous, it's my first interview of the cycle. I will let you know how it goes!

Also I noticed @Gorays39 mentioned Northwestern. Last year they emailed me on February 17th, which was a Wednesday. Maybe we will hear back by Wednesday next week? Either way I hope it is soon!

I heard from Northwestern and Mount Sinai today actually!  Just gotta prepare for these interviews now that I'm done hearing back from schools.  Good luck to the rest of y'all!

Hello everyone! I've reading this forum without an account, but I figured I'd pop in and ask a couple of questions! I've applied to McGill, UManitoba, and UToronto and haven't heard back from anyone, but my applications still say under review online. I'm seeing that other people are getting calls and emails from Manitoba and UofT this week, so is it safe to assume that I didn't get an interview for either of these? Also, when would you say is a good amount of time to leave before I call the department and see how I can improve my application for the next round?

1 minute ago, Marie764 said:

I also have not heard anything from Minn. yet...and know people have gotten both rejections and interviews at this point... I noticed today that my application status online went from "awaiting program decision" to "final review." I'm not entirely sure what that means, is that what yours says also??

Yes, mine went to final review today. I'm wondering if we are on a waitlist for interviews or something?

1 hour ago, GCHopeful said:

I have been seeing a lot of interview clothing advice being passed around lately, but being a guy, heels don't really look that good with the clothes I have ;) That being said, for the men of this forum, what are you thinking of wearing or, for those that have interviewed prior, what did you see other guys wearing? I am planning on wearing a suit, but I don't know if this is too formal or not. Any advice? 

A suit and tie is pretty typical for the men I saw interviewing last year. The general dress code is business/professional.

10 minutes ago, Lauz14 said:

Hello everyone! I've reading this forum without an account, but I figured I'd pop in and ask a couple of questions! I've applied to McGill, UManitoba, and UToronto and haven't heard back from anyone, but my applications still say under review online. I'm seeing that other people are getting calls and emails from Manitoba and UofT this week, so is it safe to assume that I didn't get an interview for either of these? Also, when would you say is a good amount of time to leave before I call the department and see how I can improve my application for the next round?

I would not assume just yet, programs differ on the pace at which they send out invites. It seems like programs are quite alright with you calling to check on the status of your application. As for the worst case scenario (if you do not get invited for an interview) the programs typically request that you wait to contact them about feedback until the conclusion of the application cycle.

I'm in the same boat. I've applied to 5 different schools and haven't heard from any yet. I called Sarah Lawrence today to find out what's doing with my application and not only were they super sweet and accomodating, she said that they really send out interview invitations in waves. She said she'll send my information to the director and someone will return my call. So, @Lauz14 - I feel like there is still hope! 

1 hour ago, Gorays39 said:

I heard from Northwestern and Mount Sinai today actually!  Just gotta prepare for these interviews now that I'm done hearing back from schools.  Good luck to the rest of y'all!

Congrats! I have yet to hear anything, hopefully something good soon!

Congratulations to everyone that received interviews today!!  I'm still waiting to hear from Northwestern.  I visited the campus a few months ago and they told me they were hoping to expand their program.  A friend of mine also just told me that she heard they were hoping to have 25 students this year!  Hopefully that means they'll be doing a lot of interviews!

38 minutes ago, Elisheva said:

I'm in the same boat. I've applied to 5 different schools and haven't heard from any yet. I called Sarah Lawrence today to find out what's doing with my application and not only were they super sweet and accomodating, she said that they really send out interview invitations in waves. She said she'll send my information to the director and someone will return my call. So, @Lauz14 - I feel like there is still hope! 

Thanks so much! Glad to hear I'm only one in that boat. Best of luck!

45 minutes ago, SJMcGC said:

Waitlisted for an interview at Northwestern for the second year in a row... Not so hopeful that I will be offered one. :(

Wow, me too. Four of us are waitlisted? How long is this waitlist? Did they just put everyone who didn't get an interview on it?

5 hours ago, raindaywoman said:

Ditto. It really does seem like they just put everyone on the waitlist...

Another person on the wait list here...must be a HUGE wait list...I'll put my results in the correct tab shortly!

In any case, I'm new here.  I just found this website today, and I really wish I had found it earlier!  My boyfriend is tired of hearing about grad school ;)

My undergrad GPA was really crappy (I think I saw a GPA twin earlier with the same stunning 2.87).  However, I have a 3.9 at the school I'm taking some post-bacc courses at, so that should help.  I had some health issues during my undergrad, which I explained in my personal statement.  I'm sure I'll be up against some skepticism that I'm ready to take on a master's program.  But hey, I have one interview already and I have not heard from three programs yet.

Speaking of which...I noticed that some interview invites have gone out for the University of Texas.  Does anyone know if there are still more waves of invites to come?   

Lastly, I live in Denver and grew up 20 minutes south of UC Irvine (and still visit my parents there regularly).  If anyone has any questions about either of those places, ask away!

11 hours ago, Ferris604 said:

Another person on the wait list here...must be a HUGE wait list...I'll put my results in the correct tab shortly!

In any case, I'm new here.  I just found this website today, and I really wish I had found it earlier!  My boyfriend is tired of hearing about grad school ;)

My undergrad GPA was really crappy (I think I saw a GPA twin earlier with the same stunning 2.87).  However, I have a 3.9 at the school I'm taking some post-bacc courses at, so that should help.  I had some health issues during my undergrad, which I explained in my personal statement.  I'm sure I'll be up against some skepticism that I'm ready to take on a master's program.  But hey, I have one interview already and I have not heard from three programs yet.

Speaking of which...I noticed that some interview invites have gone out for the University of Texas.  Does anyone know if there are still more waves of invites to come?   

Lastly, I live in Denver and grew up 20 minutes south of UC Irvine (and still visit my parents there regularly).  If anyone has any questions about either of those places, ask away!

I think Texas does all their invites in one day. They told me they'd confirm my interview date early next week so that's probably when they'll start inviting people off the waitlist or turning people down.