Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

58 minutes ago, Lakers1960 said:

I have both of my interviews this weekend (tomorrow and monday) and I'm freaking out! Any last minute tips or previous interview experiences it might be beneficial for me to know? Especially regarding the typical "what are your best/worst qualities?" questions. Thanks guys!

For worst qualities - Go with something honest but show how you are working on it. Interviewers hate those worst qualities that aren't actually worst qualities like "I'm too much of a perfectionist", "I pay too much attention to detail".

2 hours ago, Lakers1960 said:

I have both of my interviews this weekend (tomorrow and monday) and I'm freaking out! Any last minute tips or previous interview experiences it might be beneficial for me to know? Especially regarding the typical "what are your best/worst qualities?" questions. Thanks guys!

Oh that's exciting! @Lakers1960 where are you interviewing?

Best advice I have is write down a list of as many questions you can possibly think of... about the program, about the clinical rotations, about the city, etc.  Even better if you can think up some personalized questions for the people who will be interviewing you.

You would be surprised how fast all of your questions get answered throughout the day! It helps to prepare a loooong list so that you have something to say when they ask "Do you have any questions for me?!" hahaha 

7 hours ago, Lakers1960 said:

Same here! Where are yours? Just curious if I'll run into you!

11 hours ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

@bubusaur @Ellaie @GCFaith92 Have you guys heard anything from USF as yet? It's driving me insane just sitting here...waiting...

Hey everyone...Sorry I'm super late to this thread, but reading it has kept me sane this past week! I'm a first time applicant and only applied to USF, as it is the only program I'm willing to relocate for this year. I'm hoping that by joining in on the conversation, I'm sending some positive vibes out and that we will all be hearing good news soon! :)

36 minutes ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW! Just got my interview invite from USF!!!!! 

Congratulations! Do you live in Fl? When is the interview and were you told by phone, mail or email??? :-) Maybe i'll hear today.

@GCFaith92 Yep, I live in Clermont, which is about an hour and a half from USF. I had met with the Program Director back in April, the drive wasn't that bad. And I have some friends that are in both undergrad and grad school there. It was in an email, they have 27 people they're interviewing it seems like. And my interview is on April 7th - they offered dates on March 24th (I'll be in NY/NJ for my SLC and Rutgers interviews), March 31st, and April 7th. Hope this doesn't sound creepy lol, but if anyone of you get an interview at USF and need a place to stay, I'm sure my parents wouldn't mind - we have two extra rooms in my house (Florida houses are huge in general). =)

10 minutes ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

@GCFaith92 Yep, I live in Clermont, which is about an hour and a half from USF. I had met with the Program Director back in April, the drive wasn't that bad. And I have some friends that are in both undergrad and grad school there. It was in an email, they have 27 people they're interviewing it seems like. And my interview is on April 7th - they offered dates on March 24th (I'll be in NY/NJ for my SLC and Rutgers interviews), March 31st, and April 7th. Hope this doesn't sound creepy lol, but if anyone of you get an interview at USF and need a place to stay, I'm sure my parents wouldn't mind - we have two extra rooms in my house (Florida houses are huge in general). =)

How did you find that they're interviewing 27? That seems kind of low I thought most programs interviewed about 40 to 50 ?

13 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

How did you find that they're interviewing 27? That seems kind of low I thought most programs interviewed about 40 to 50 ?

@GCFaith92 You sign up for your interview on a poll thing, so you can see all the open slots. There's 3 interview dates and 10 slots for each day, so it's 30 interviews actually.

@WBGC I heard from South Carolina in early February :/

I saw you and someone else hear heard from Boston last week? I haven't heard from them yet, so I'm guessing I can cross that one off my list.

Did someone hear from Hopkins today?!?! *Refreshes inbox 5 times* 

Edited by metabolismo

39 minutes ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

Congratulations on the interview!! I just got an email that I got an interview too!  I requested March 31st for my interview date. My interview with Emory is the 30th, so I figure I can just drive down from GA right after the interview.  I have friends in Tampa, but I'll probably end up just getting a hotel because it'll make it more convenient to get ready.  I'm really excited about this interview.  My residency is in Florida right now, even though I'm currently living in Chicago, so USF would be super cheap compared to all the other schools.  My family lives in Port Charlotte, FL too,and it'd be nice to be close to them.

@Ellaie that's awesome, congrats!! Yeah, those are two of my main reasons for wanting to go to USF. I actually wanted to go there for undergrad as well but that didn't work out. So I'm really really excited to at least get an interview, I think they're only accepting 4 students so it's nerve-wracking but they're my #1 choice!

18 hours ago, metabolismo said:

Oh that's exciting! @Lakers1960 where are you interviewing?

Best advice I have is write down a list of as many questions you can possibly think of... about the program, about the clinical rotations, about the city, etc.  Even better if you can think up some personalized questions for the people who will be interviewing you.

You would be surprised how fast all of your questions get answered throughout the day! It helps to prepare a loooong list so that you have something to say when they ask "Do you have any questions for me?!" hahaha 

Wayne State and Indiana! Thanks for the advice :) I have tooonss of questions so that's perfect

1 minute ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

@Ellaie that's awesome, congrats!! Yeah, those are two of my main reasons for wanting to go to USF. I actually wanted to go there for undergrad as well but that didn't work out. So I'm really really excited to at least get an interview, I think they're only accepting 4 students so it's nerve-wracking but they're my #1 choice!

Only 4?!  That makes me feel so much more pressure.  I was debating between finishing my undergrad at USF of FGCU, but ended up going with FGCU.

Also, too bad we didn't pick the same interview date.  Would have been nice to meet someone from on here.

1 minute ago, Ellaie said:

Only 4?!  That makes me feel so much more pressure.  I was debating between finishing my undergrad at USF of FGCU, but ended up going with FGCU.

Also, too bad we didn't pick the same interview date.  Would have been nice to meet someone from on here.

At least, I think it's 4. I shadowing a GC from Orlando Health back in August and that's what he told me - he was helping them get the program together and what not. I can't remember if the program director told me that too, I met with her way back in April so idk. Aw man, yeah it would've been nice to meet you! I didn't want to pressure myself too much by choosing March 31st, because my flight from New York doesn't get back until midday on March 29th and my job would be wondering why I'm taking so many days off that week, lol. So the only other option was April 7th =/

5 minutes ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

At least, I think it's 4. I shadowing a GC from Orlando Health back in August and that's what he told me - he was helping them get the program together and what not. I can't remember if the program director told me that too, I met with her way back in April so idk. Aw man, yeah it would've been nice to meet you! I didn't want to pressure myself too much by choosing March 31st, because my flight from New York doesn't get back until midday on March 29th and my job would be wondering why I'm taking so many days off that week, lol. So the only other option was April 7th =/

It would make sense why they're interviewing so few people then.  I totally get what you mean with the job pressure.  I'm also trying to hide the fact that I'm interviewing for grad school, and it's making it difficult to work around everything. 

Congrats to everyone who has gotten interviews! I did my undergrad at USF and I was going to apply to their GC program so I went to the open house and met with the program director and a few others involved with the program. Then I decided not to apply to any programs at all this year so that I could do a year abroad teaching English instead. USF seems like it's going to be a great program though, so good luck to everyone. 

17 minutes ago, Billowack said:

Congrats to everyone who has gotten interviews! I did my undergrad at USF and I was going to apply to their GC program so I went to the open house and met with the program director and a few others involved with the program. Then I decided not to apply to any programs at all this year so that I could do a year abroad teaching English instead. USF seems like it's going to be a great program though, so good luck to everyone. 

That sounds exciting. What is your undergraduate degree in and how did you get the opportunity to teach abroad?

16 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

That sounds exciting. What is your undergraduate degree in and how did you get the opportunity to teach abroad?

I double majored in Public health and biomedical sciences. A friend did it last year so she set it up for me. I'm not too sure what I want my next career step to be, so I figured it was better just to take the year to enjoy life while I consider. Better than rushing into anything and then regretting it.